Vodafone Germany w/ ISP-Supplied Modem/Router (Fritz!Box or Touchstone): Ongoing Discussion

I have such a a dynamic IP4 Adress in my FritzBox 6591 Cable. Works fine! :+1:

ISP: Vodafone
Router: AVM Fritzbox 6490 Cable (OS version: 07.29)

@Felix_Witte @connor
Hi guys,

I’m using my own Fritzbox, not a rented Vodafone branded version. I don’t have a business account. Roon Arc works like a charm. :+1:

Here some screenshots from my settings:

2 Likes

Interesting because I am also in Berlin and it does not, though I have a rented Fritzbox and my whole settings page is different (and differently named). It’s a 6591 model however.

Nevertheless, the problem is DS Lite and I don’t see how this would depend on the Fritzbox, as it’s an upstream configuration. Did you ever in the past ask them for an IPv4 address?

I searched some more on the VF Germany forum. There are so many threads about this.

While in previous searches I found lots of threads where VF said “no”, I have now found two threads from January 2022, in one of which they simply enabled an IPv4 address on request.

Next to it is another thread where the user tells how he was first sent into a Kafkaesque maze, but then they enabled it when he complained on the forum.

Other threads say that they will often say no but if you call Vodafone Technik and happen to get the right person, they might enable it for you.

However, in all cases there seems to be no right to it and they can take it away (in residential accounts). It’s not clear if the different cases might have different speed levels and DSL vs cable. In one thread a VF guy says that if you can show them that you need one for working from home, they will usually provide one “even though the contract (AGB) says something else”

Certainly worth a try if one has good nerves.

https://xkcd.com/806/

The problem is the Vodafone branded (castrated) Router OS. I never had to ask Vodafone for an IPv4 address. As you can see on my first screenshot the original OS has more options (tabs). Under “Internet > Zugangsdaten > IPv6 > IPv6-Anbindung” i can choose to use native IPv4, instead of tunneling IPv6 over IPv4.

That’s why Router Freedom is so important. Freie Routerwahl | AVM Deutschland

It’s easy. You have a DS Lite connection. And with that, no publicly accessible IP4 address works. It doesn’t help to call and ask for one. Here you can read why that is: Link
What you could do is also switch to the business tariff. It is practically not more expensive, but you can book a fixed IP4 address there. For €5 per month.

I had an IP4 address activated on my connection years ago. At that time, however, these DS Lite connections were not common. In the meantime, new connections are almost exclusively assigned with DS Lite. Sorry if I have to say it so directly. With DS Lite you’ve played the ass card (Arschkarte).

Anbei ein Screenshot aus meiner FB:

I know that the problem is DS Lite, this is what I wrote. The question is whether there is a workaround. A business account is the best one but costs more. But it’s not correct that they never provide a normal v4 address for non-business accounts, because they do in the forum threads that I cited

The contract allows them to put you on DS Lite. If they do, I don’t think the router can do anything about that

Just to add to the discussion: I am also based in Berlin and have a AVM6591 cable router at home (rented from Vodafone Germany). Fortunately, the ARC solution works for me as I still have a dedicated IPv4 address. When I switched to Vodafone Germany in 2015, a static IPv4 address was the only way to make my employer’s work from home solution work and after many calls with Vodafone I finally ended up with someone who understood the problem and set up the IP address within 10 minutes. Fortunately, that IPv4 address was not taken away over the years and several contract renewals/updates.
Maybe it is worthwhile giving Vodafone a call (or more if necessary) until you find someone that is willing to assign a static IPv4 address.

1 Like

Since 1. August 2016 you have the right to choose between an ISP owned castrated router, or simply buy your own. As long as you use the Vodafone Fritzbox they can do what they want. You can use your own Fritzbox with the freedom to configure it yourself. I bought my Fritzbox in 2016 and did save until today a couple of hundred €. Of course they try to scare customers to use their own router. Vodafone is just a shabby company like most other ISPs (Verbraucherzentrale mahnt Vodafone und die Deutsche Glasfaser ab | Verbraucherzentrale Rheinland-Pfalz).

Quote Routerzwang – Wikipedia

Die Gesetzesänderung vom 23. Januar 2016 (BGBl. I S. 106) präzisiert die Rechtslage. Mit dem vollständig liberalisierten Endgerätemarkt der Richtlinie 2008/63/EG vom 20. Juni 2008 über den Wettbewerb auf dem Markt für Telekommunikationsendeinrichtungen war die bisherige Handhabung unvereinbar.[2]

Der Zwangsrouter wurde durch eine Klarstellung im Telekommunikationsgesetz (TKG) mit Wirkung vom 1. August 2016 abgeschafft: Es wurde festgelegt, dass der Zugang zu öffentlichen Telekommunikationsnetzen gemäß § 45d Abs. 1 TKG ein passiver Netzabschlusspunkt sei, und das öffentliche Telekommunikationsnetz am passiven Netzabschlusspunkt ende.

Bußgeldbewehrte Informationspflichten für die Netzbetreiber sollen sicherstellen, dass gegen Anbieter vorgegangen werden kann, die weiterhin auf Zwangsroutern bestehen sollten. Teilnehmer erhalten seit dem 1. August 2016[8] die notwendigen Zugangsdaten und die Anschlussinformationen in Textform, unaufgefordert und kostenfrei bei Vertragsschluss (§ 41b Abs. 1 Satz 3 TKG).[9]

I am also in Berlin and Vodafone cable client. I have a 6951, too, unbranded. ARC works well for me.

I never asked for a static IP, but in Online-Monitor it shows 2 different IPs for IPv4, no DS-Lite.

I have used MyFritz as a dyndns service. Maybe it is working here because of MyFritz?

Have you all tried this?

I still don’t understand how a router may change / decide about upstream infrastructure.

I don’t think it does.
I have an unbranded Fritz!Box 7590 and ARC doesn’t work with my 1&1 account, with DS-Lite-Tunnel, which seems to be the root cause as far as I understand all the theads correctly.

1 Like

My Fritz Box 6590 Cable with ISP Vodafone doesn’t show any IPV4 address at all, only an IPV6 address with DS Lite Tunnel. Tried all the hits and suggestions from several posts. There’s no way to get ARC to work because no external/public IPV4 address is provided by my ISP. These are granted only if you have a business account. Vodafone has switched residential accounts to IPV6 and has removed the associated public IPV4 addresses :frowning:

I have just researched Vodafone Business accounts. It seems fine to open one even if you don’t have a business and faster ones include a static public IP, while it’s an option in slower accounts for 5 euros per month.

The business accounts seem just a little bit more expensive than residential ones. Keep in mind that prices are given without VAT in this case.

OK, that was an hour productively spent on VF’s phone hotline to get my new “business” cable internet (300 Mbits down, 30 up) and mobile contract package (“Gigakombi Business”). Including a fixed IP, priority problem resolution service, and unlimited mobile data - for nearly the same price that I paid previously for a residential account package (also “Gigakombi”) with 250 Mbit and 10 GB mobile. ARC here I come.

You don’t actually need a business to do that.
(For the price, you’d usually get a 10 GB capped mobile plan, but there were some issues during my phone call with VF and I was nice to the sales person, so they threw in an unlimited mobile plan. Even with the 10 GB plan, though, the whole thing is a no-brainer)

EDIT: I wrote a more detailed version of this in a PM to @Connor. This might be helpful to others, so here goes:

It seems that Vodafone Germany customers afflicted with DS Lite are best off by just switching to a business account, which I just did. This is also a frequent recommendation on the Vodafone Forum by the VF mods, to have a right to a public IP and not be subject to goodwill (which may or may not be available or last). It turned out to be quite painless and not expensive at all.

• Owning an actual business is not necessary to open a business account
  • URL for the business accounts: Internet & Festnetz für Geschäftskunden | Vodafone
  • A public (fixed) IP is included in all business accounts. Either as an option in the accounts with lower bandwidth (5 euros per month w/o VAT), or included in the faster accounts.
  • Just like for residential, they also offer rebates for internet and mobile contracts as a package.
  • The overall price for such a package is very close to the price of residential accounts with comparable speeds and mobile download caps. Maybe 5 euros more compared to current residential prices, but depending on the existing accounts it might also come cheaper.
  • When comparing, note that the residential website shows the price to-customer, i.e. with VAT (19%) included. The business website shows prices without VAT.
  • In the faster accounts, the first 6 months are rebated down to 0 euros. They also forfeit the setup fees, so the switchover is also free.

I didn’t do it via the website but on the phone, which took an hour with a sales person who was not very well-versed with business accounts, and they made some amends by throwing in an unlimited data plan for mobile. Meaning that for essentially the same price, I have switched from 250 mbps with DS Lite to 300 mbps with a fixed IP, and from a 10 GB mobile limit to an unlimited data plan, plus the added priority problem resolution for business accounts (very handy with Roon 2.0 online requirements!)

Vodafone Germany could avoid much of the unhappiness about DS Lite by simply offering an account type with fixed IP under a different name for residential accounts rather than just in “business” accounts.

EDIT 2: According to investigation by @Thomas_Forster and others, people who have their own Fritzbox (not rented from VF) seem to get an IPv4 assigned. Not sure if always or if there are additional factors. Worth a try maybe.

4 Likes

Changed my router (Vodafone station to FritzBox 6690, wanted to do that for years) and poof, ARC works fine!

Same here. I switched from the Vodafone TG3442DE to a Fritz!Box 6690, activated port forwarding, and ARC worked immediately. I’ll observe what happens when my ipv4 address changes, as I have a consumer contract (Red 250), not a business contract with a static IP address, but for now I’m happy with this solution. I’m in Leipzig, not sure whether this also works for Vodafone West (NW, BW, Hessen).

No idea, but I can confirm that it works for me after switching from the Vodafone box to a Fritzbox 6690 (bought, not rented from Vodafone). The Fritzbox gets an ipv4 address assigned (not static I suppose), and I can use ARC after setting port forwarding. Will observe what happens when the Fritzbox IP address changes.

It seems that only people with Fritzboxes provided by Vodafone have DS-Lite. Maybe because of the Vodafone software on these castrated FBs?

I also have a bought 6951 and have an IPv4 address, no DS-Lite. ARC works for me.

Interesting, you are not the only one, there might indeed be a difference with your own router, but I am not sure if always.