Volume Increase Issue with Roon Controller (ref#CNFQ37)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Description of Issue

Volume goes up to the top by itself. Then I pull it down and it just goes right back up. I restart my phone or tablet to get it back to normal. Inconvenient and embarrassing to say the least and my speakers are taking a beating. I have written to you about this five times and no one has ever gotten back to me for the solution. Why did I have to pay so much for this malfunctioning controller? Why can’t I get my money back so I can get something that works with a company that will give some technical support for the product? It is only a matter of time before I blow my speakers with this. Who is going to be responsible for the repair? Let me guess, not you? And by the way I don’t have any idea how to “record my logs” and send them to you as was suggested. If you need to do something highly technical like this to discover the problem, you need to do it. I don’t know how you can expect the average user to know what you are talking about. I’m not a computer expert. I know email and web browsing. Beyond that I need a lot of help. I’m not sure why I am being asked to get involved in repairing your product anyway. Please get this up to the “next level” to someone who can get this resolved before my speakers get blown and we have a very expensive repair bill to deal with.

Roon Core Platform

Linux (NAS/SonicTransporter/Antipodes/Ubuntu/etc.)

Linux Core Type

Roon Core Specifications

1 year old Antipodes K50. Outputs used are AES-EBU and USB. Connected CD drive. I control this with my Surface computer and my Android phone. I don’t know what RAM is.

Connected Audio Devices

Antipodes K50 using AES-EBU and USB outputs.

Home Network Details

Ethernet connected to K50 through Tp-link model TL-SG116 splitter

You got Roon with the Antipodes K50, why don’t you take this up with the dealer you got the K50 from, or Antipodes? Vendors who offer Roon in their hardware should support it.

I’m not sure how this works. Are you Roon staff? I think I need to connect with Roon staff. For the record, I have talked to Antipodes and was told that this is a Roon issue and I should ask them about it. How can I get this to the right support person at Roon?

Many of us experienced Roon users here try to give suggestions to new users in case they might be useful. When you buy a product with Roon built-in, that vendor should stand by it rather than passing the buck. But it’s your gear, and your call, how to proceed.

So can you tell me how this works? I put a question up and wait for some random person not working for Roon to help me? I can’t get technical advice from someone at Roon? Seems pretty lame, right? They should stand behind their product, not expect us to service each other.

Just speaking as an experienced user, for better and worse. You posted a support request. Eventually, someone from the Roon Labs staff will get to your request. That may take time, as there are likely many other matters in their support queue. In the meanwhile, some of us longtime members of this forum (maybe mistakenly) suggest next steps. It’s your call whether to listen to us. I’ve had multiple support issues over the years. All but one, currently being investigated by Roon Labs staff, have been resolved. Is this the ideal support scheme? Not my call to answer.

So it sounds like you’ve had a lot of problems with this as well. From the looks of it, lots of other people are having lots of issues too. I guess they rushed this product to the market too early. Could something like this ever be made to be reliable? Maybe not.

It’s been out since 2015, hardly rushed. All software of any kind has bugs. That said Roons current support model sucks when you do experience an issue, there is no excuses for this. I’ve been a user since 2017 and had a number of requests some get dealt with quickly others not and it’s not improving. But users are first line defence until support show up.

If this is happening on two different types of remotes it seems an odd one. What device is Roon changing volume on exactly? The K50 idoesn’t have any direct volume control in Roon as it’s a digital source with no preamp. It will output at a fixed level to your DAC. If you’re using USB if the connected DAC allows 3rd party hardware control of its preamp, its volume may be available to change in Roon choosing Device Volume within the Roon audio setting for the that endpoint. Most DACs however don’t allow hardware control. Over AES Roon won’t be able to control anything as this protocol is one way only so Roon has no idea about what it does.

What is the device connected to the K50? That you’re expecting volume control off exactly? This is an important bit of info. Can you manage to post a screen grab of Roons settings page for the enabled audio devices?

I use my android phone and my surface lap top to access Roon and control volume etc. When the volume goes up (on either one) I can restart the device and everything goes back to normal. As soon as a device (either one) is powering down it’s normal again. Like if I have them both in front of me I power down the phone I can see that on the surface it’s back to normal. As soon as one device shuts down.

That is not your audio settings page so of no use, what DAC is connected to the Anitpodes as this is what volume contols if it is it all not thr K50.

I’m not sure exactly how/where the volume is controlled but there is no volume control in my Schitt Yggdrasil DAC that I know of. Now you have me thinking. It must be inside the K50, right? Roon controls the Player inside the K50. Both server and player are contained inside the K50.
Is this the page you needed to see?

Yes.

I see you posted in 2022 with same issue, has it always been like this or did your sort it before? If not then I would I say there is an issue with how the k50 software volume works with Roon that Antipodes need to help sort of this issue out. I’ll leave this to @support as I have no idea if Roon can control the volume on the K50 properly or is intended to.

No, I have never sorted this. it has plagued me off and on since I bought the Roon controller. Please do send this to roon support staff for me. not sure why I am not able to do this directly and you are.

And you set it to use software volume in the Antipodes Roon setup page?

And you have Roon set to use Device Volume?

Does Roon give you the option to choise DSP volume in the Volume control setting and does is stick? If if does then it might be better to use Roons inbuilt DSP for volume instead of relying on Antipodes one. If this does set, then change the setting on the Antipodes to be None. 100% and not software or hardware. Then Roon is control of the volume fully. Set a volume limit you are comfortable with set DSP volume low and test. If DSP volume isn’t available on the K50 (Not all devices support it) I would still set volume limits as it’s safer this way. It limits how high Roon will go with the controls. You can go past it but only one volume step at a time to avoid nasty volume bumps.

Hi @Steven_Wallace,

This is unfortunately a known issue we are tracking here:

We have a related fix that is currently released in early access, that should make its way to production soon. We’re still actively investigating volume-related issues on top of this.

Perhaps you should give me a refund on my payment since the product is no longer usable. This has been plaguing me for a few years now and I have no confidence that you really have any idea how to kill this bug. It has actually gotten much worse, to the point where I have no ability to control the volume whatsoever. I have inquired about this five or six times and nothing has ever been done. You’re not doing anything about this.

This is a major bug within the Roon app. This bug has been posted on this forum several times over the last year or so. Only recently has the Roon team acknowledged that this is indeed a real Roon problem and their Beta release supposedly addresses the bug.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.