We want your ideas for Playlists!

Thanks for raising that !

This is very true, Rugby. You are raising the point that music consumerism gets into the quick zapping, with attraction to futility. Like many things in life, the easiest accessible is rarely the best. But there is so much available, and no penalty for zapping instantly, that swimming at the surface of music can occupy time that would have been spent into a more demanding deep dive - with more efforts yes, but more rewards - if there is depth.
I guess that could be made a solid criterion for advising music - if one could discarnate the entire tunes played as background music for just remotely interested hearing or ambiance, and those played for active listening. The deep dives.
Anyway, coming back to the original topic, I put my past “deep dives” into playlists, while actively seeking new ones.

Yes,
I guess it would not be such a big programming effort to bring PlayLists to the level of functionality of those in iTunes. And be able to easily import and export playlist files with compatibility to other main music software.
That would include functionalities such as nested playlists. Then ROON could easily get some edge on this if they would implement “set” logical operations to those : allowing to generate the intersection or union of playlists on the fly, or the negated intersection, etc… That would save a lot of time to a lot of users.
And don’t forget, for many of us, playlists is where we put our most cherished music. So even some people don’t use it, do not underestimate their value.

2 Likes

Thank you for asking!

Here is my idea, I hope nobody offered yet -
A Picks List! Roon has the great function of playing several best songs from an album. I wish there was a list that gathers into one playlist all best songs from each album in the library. Then when user turns on Shuffle for this playlist it will play The Best Hits from the whole library. Also this function will help users to know better their libraries. Sometimes users add too many albums for future listening and never reach them. With this playlist they will not miss important tracks from their collections.

1 Like

So I’ve only used the scan feature as this post is pretty long, so forgive me if I’m duplicating things.

One thing that would be nice is to automatically sync playlists with Tidal, so if I edit it here, it goes back the other way.

Secondly, the playlists that Spotify generate are very good for discovering new music.

Tidal isn’t as sophisticated here and it tends to recommend things by artists involved in the company. I get why they do that, and if it is the price I pay for FLAC/MQA content and integration with Roon, I’m ok with that.

However I feel that Roon could start improving on that, it even give us the opportunity to import playlists from Spotify.

I like it when Roon recommends stuff from my library, but what I really want is stuff I don’t have in my library.

2 Likes

So essentially a star rating like 5 stars that most other players have. I and several others have complained about this in the past with no avail.

2 Likes

Please, please, please. Allow more than ONE track to be moved at a time in a playlist! It can’t be that hard to do, guys!

3 Likes

Gapped play. Playlists are usually made with tracks from different albums and most of the time these tracks just won’t go nicely without some space in between.
An option to automatically apply Volume Leveling when playing a playlist (volume level differences of tracks from different albums are more audible).

1 Like

Hi,
This idea might be interesting yet is NOT a playlist concept (we do not want automatic or even automatically completed playlists as playlist are ment to be reflecting our personal preferences).
And it might encounter difficult implementations due to ambiguity in rating criteria. How do you rate ?
I am not fully satisfied with only one level of ratings. How can one compare two or three exceptional recordings:

• an old and noisy recording of an exceptional interpreter or orchestra
  • an exceptionally good recording.
  • a recording that we might exceptionally love for other reasons
    For me, those that reach 4.5 and sometimes 5 stars (I tend to keep that rating quite rare) gather at least two out of three categories). But there is confusion in this unique scoring. I would much prefer to separate technical and musical performance - like was made for example in the french magazine Diapason.
1 Like

Actually, it would be quite simple to have a feature like this:

• One button to show and play tunes only above XXX stars
  • one to play tunes above XXX starts only
    The feature selection would apply to all: albums, play next, playlists…

If it hasn’t been suggested already, it’d be nice to have the option of displaying playlists as album covers and not just tracks

2 Likes

I did a trial a few months ago and let it lapse due to this apparent inability to integrate into Windows File Explorer via files associations, which would let me (without entering into the Roon Core program on Windows laptop) select some music files, right-click, and select “Play in Roon”, which it would immediately do. This is a basic function that WinAmp can do and JRiver Media Center and Windows Media Players as well as others can do.

Secondly, after doing that, if I select other files, I could right-click on them and select “Add to Roon queue”.

Third, I want to create a playlist easily. Again, something an old and simple program like WinAmp can do. If instead of selecting music files using Windows File Explorer, I would just double-click on my playlist file and it would open Roon and play them.

The ONLY compelling reason I just purchased Lifetime Roon was because I bought an Elac Discovery Z3 speaker and expect to buy a couple more to establish zones in the house that Roon can manage.

I’ve tried several times to create a playlist in Roon by dragging and dropping music files and so far have failed miserably. Instead of playing my Piano music files by many different artists that I have in a directory called Piano Music, Roon tries to bring up stuff I have no interest in listening too because I have to resort to searching on the word piano.

“Can you change Roon so that when I am working with an existing playlist (not Tidal), I want to be able to select and move several tracks at one time up and down on the playlist. I know I can add or remove multiple tracks, but I want to MOVE them up or down”

I have asked for this several times, but have never received a reply. Can this be done or not? Is it in the plans or not? Easy stuff to answer.

2 Likes

First of all, i’m sorry if this has been mentioned before. However, it one of the features of Roon which i find hard to acclimatize to;

Almost every time i use playlists i manage to change the playing order by accidentally dragging one of the tracks instead of scrolling the playlists.
So, my wish is that the playlist order would be locked, unless i open up an “edit-mode” or such.
And please recognize that this is my biggest complaint with Roon (pea-sized) :wink: That means there’s not much wrong with this software as of now! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would love this too, it also happened to me for more than a few times.

2 Likes

Yes…I agree! This would be a great feature.

2 Likes

Another +1, happens to me all the time too.

3 Likes

I would like to see the artwork refresh, on the play screen, to reflect the cover of the item currently being played (apologies if this has already been suggested).

At the moment the displayed artwork doesn’t reflect what is being played (in a playlist).

Whole heartedly agree with those suggesting giving us the opportunity to create Playlist Folders!!

2 Likes

Dont wipe out the contents of all playlists if the credentials used to connect to the media location is refreshed :frowning:

1 Like

Same problem for me, major annoyance every time I use my playlist

2 Likes