We want your ideas for Playlists!

What I want, more than anything, is iTunes style playlist folders. Even just folders at all would be a nice change.

5 Likes

Youā€™re not the only one, but Roon is not convinced yet,

2 Likes

You could name your playlists kinda like folders:

Places / NYC / Bobā€™s party playlist
Places / NYC / Daveā€™s party playlist
Places / SF / Mikeā€™s party playlist
Places / Paris / Pierreā€™s party playlist

then you can just type ā€˜/ā€™ to filter, and then type ā€˜placesā€™ or type ā€˜nycā€™

I do something like this, but want the groupings in my own order, so i preface with a number. Sort of like

1. Jazz / list 1
  2. Jazz / list 2
  3. Classical / list 1
  4. Classical / list 2

So that the groups are in the order I want. Also, I favorite some playlists in Tidal, often in passing. Since most people donā€™t name lists starting with a number, the Tidal lists not made by me are at the bottom (below my named ones).

I have a long history of playlists from Spotify, brought over to Tidal with Soundiiz.

Oh, and if i temporarily want a playlist at the top, I rename it with a ā€¦ instead of a number and that sorts first.

Of course, folders would be better! :wink:
Rob.

So folks want a nested way of filtering, sorting and grouping?

2 Likes

+1 for playlist folders. Also, am I the only one who uses a smartphone remote to control Roon 99.999% of the time? I only go looking for a laptop or tablet when I need to do something that is disabled on the smartphone interface. (e.g., filters).

1 Like

To say another way, it would be nice to have filter on the phone interface too! I often use iPad to use filter.

1 Like

1). Sub-folders for Playlists:
- 2018 playlist folder
- January subfolder
- February subfolder
- etc
- Hi-Rez/DSD playlist folder
- Jazz Playlist subfolder
- Rock
- Classical
- etc.
- Boyā€™s Night playlist folder
- 2018 subfolder
- 01.14.18 Boyā€™s Night sub-folder Playlist
- 02.08.18 Boys Might subfolder Playlist
- 2017 subfolder
- 01.30.17 Boys night Playlist
- etc.

2). Ability for existing large-size album covers to change with each artist-album in a playlist

I can imagine sub-folders have been suggested by others, as it should be made available. I have suggested the second idea on previous occasions and know others have jumped in to advocate for it as well.

Both of these thoughts help Roon better optimize existing features and I hope you can easily get to both now that youā€™ve knocked off a few of the biggies in 1.5!

I didnā€™t read every post, so maybe this has been covered already.

Butā€¦

I often use playlists to limit the tracks on an album. The reason being I have purchased a number of albums to get better mastering/mixing or just a superior recording. Often these re-released and remastered editions contain extra tracks to try and increase there perceived worth.

Sometimes the extra tracks are interesting but not something you want to hear very often. So I create a playlist with the original track list and drop the extraneous junk.

I would love to have a playlist with the album art show up in Albums list or versions tab like its own album.

I too liked smart playlists.

Example: Genre + Year Released from __ to __ + Dynamic Range

just ban the track (click on the heart twice) ā€“ then it wont play when you play the album as a whole

There are songs I donā€™t want to play via the Radio feature that I do want to play when I play whole albums. For example, I donā€™t want to hear all the songs from the ā€œThe Wallā€ on the radio but I do want to hear them when playing the album. Is that possible?

ban for no-radio, use control-a + play selected to play album

not ideal, but its the only way to get both

Personally, I think there should be an option to ban for radio only as that would seem to be a more common use case. Or am I wrong on that? Do people actually upload whole albums and then never want to hear some tracks on that album? That seems quite illogical to me.

In fact, I am listening to whole albums more and more often and using the radio less and less because of how the ban feature works. There are many tracks on my albums that make no sense to hear by themselves out of the context of their albums. I find this ā€œfeatureā€ quite disappointing as it works today.

Could ROON offer daily / weekly playlists based on radio show or music magazine reviews? Like NPR ā€œsongs we loveā€, ā€œfirst listenā€, ā€œall songs consideredā€, etcā€¦

2 Likes

Perhaps if I post this here it will get some feedback:

Tdh Originally posted May 1

1 Like

+1 for Smart Playlists
+1 for nested Playlist/Folders
+1 for a sidebar with a playlist navigator (and other stuff like Genre navigator etc.)
+1 for individual Playlist artwork and description
+1 a way to exchange such lists with other Roonmates

5 Likes

The ability to create a playlist or add tracks to an existing playlist using ā€œdrag and dropā€ a la iTunes would be really helpful.

Iā€™m going to be a stick in the mud because I think the playlist capability is pretty darn good as is.

I realize a product is dead unless itā€™s ā€œimprovedā€ but please donā€™t go crazy - look at the metrics and donā€™t accommodate edge cases.

1 Like