What about Roon to go?

Trying Plexamp out today and I’m really enjoying it’s simplicity.

Remote access work’s great as well.

I’m also loving their ‘Sweet Fade’s’. Fantastic feature if your a Shuffler.

2 Likes

Hey CG,

A full library on the go is not exactly what John was talking about, although he should have just said it, rather than the convoluted story of having a few CD’s not available to him via his fav streaming services. So Roon ‘on the go’ would be most welcome, albeit I don’t see it happening anytime soon (if at all).

1TB cards are available & sufficient for most users; I’d need 4. Of course, I don’t have 4. I suspect most users on a day to day basis when they are away from their Roon core, already have the means to access a good selection of music.

As we know most users subscribe to a streaming service, they already have a mega large library to choose from when out & about. And so for those few albums that aren’t available (as John showed in his collection), I’d reckon storage via phone/dap would be ample. That’s on the basis you just had to listen to those albums when you were out alone having a coffee & the entire selection from those streaming services didn’t do it for you on a particular day. Using his scenario, I believe that’s rather niche.

If you were planning a holiday, (likely alone), for a few months or more, then yes having full access to all your music would be ideal. Again, likely not a dealbreaker with large storage & your fav streaming service/s.

Over and above John’s ‘odd’ video presentation, there’s no doubt having the option to see all your library anywhere would be welcome. :sunglasses: And maybe that’s would he should have said clearly, rather than trying to act ‘cool’ (were my thoughts) with a convoluted message.

Cheers mate.

1 Like

Agreed, I kind of thought he implied his whole collection. Initially I thought the same, why not just have them on your phone or a dap not hard and you have them at hand. But then I sort of came round to siding with him. Having got a dap earlier this year I don’t add much new stuff to it as its not particularly fast or simple to do and it took an age of get the stuff I wanted on it in the first place. I don’t want to have to remove it either as thats more hassle.

Now I likely will just use Plexamp it’s not as good sounding as UAPP at playback has some odd quirks but what software doesnt. I do hope Roon do bring something to the table so I can ditch all the other music apps, Tidal and Qobuz likely stay for offline listening but the rest could be retired.

1 Like

I have to admit, I haven’t got Roon yet and am long time Squeezebox user. One of the reasons is not being able to play my music collection away from the house. For this, like the guy in the Youtube video, I use orageSqueeze but have added Squeezeplayer and play directly to my phone, or at work via VPN on a RPI using squeezelite and DAC all of which works very nicely.
However these are a bit nerdy and I can see why something similar isn’t available for Roon. There are a number of security issues that would need to be sorted out for this to work in a simple enough way for the end user. To connect directly to your home would require a VPN server either on your Roon server along with port forwarding on your router, or preferably a router with built in VPN server (I use a Draytek for this) which is more secure. The alternative may be a secure connection to a cloud server from home which can be securely accessed from your mobile device when away from home.
Either of these would require some development and a fair amount of testing to ensure there are no security holes. So whilst feasible, there are probably other things higher up the priority list.

Incidentally, a cautionary tale regarding security and remote music access. Prior to sorting out a VPN arrangement I had just opened port forwarding to my squeezebox server and streamed directly to my office system without encryption or access control. This work fine until some nasty little b***** found my external IP address had open ports and realised they were Squeezebox ports. I and the rest of the family was then rudely awakened by ABBA’s Dancing Queen (being alphabetically the first song in the system) being played at full volume throughout the house at 3:00am (those Genelecs in the main system go very loud!) whilst we staggered about trying to work out what was going on and then how to turn it off!
Had the intruder also managed to video this it may have made an entertaining Youtube video which would probably have gone viral. It was fortunate that nothing else in the house such as our NAS box, CCTV and other devices weren’t compromised. After that the Squeezbox was limited to the local network only (on pain of death from the rest of the family) until VPN access plus Squeezebox logons were arranged. The moral of the story is, accessing your home systems from outside is a great idea, but it needs to have a good layer of security around it! If Roon were to implement this they would bear some responsibility for that security and if I were them I would want to be very cautious about how it was implemented and would want to test it thoroughly for resilience.

That’s down to LMS poor security and why I never utilised it as it was open to too much. Plexs security is a lot more secure than that and doesn’t need a VPN. That said I would prefer at least two tier authentication.

But do you need all 57 interpretations on Beethoven Op.27 No.2 with you all times ? :smiling_imp: A 128 SD card holds quite a bit

I have my old 160 iPod Classic loaded wth MP3 , does me …

2 Likes

I use an Onkyo DP-X1 Android-powered HD DAP with a 400GB microSDXC card. The Onkyo app can play FLAC and DSF, and they modified Android to be able to play at higher bit rates. The only thing is, the navigation is mediocre (although leagues better than 99% of the DAPs out there in that it supports browsing by Composer).

I’d love to have a Roon app to handle that, but they’d need to integrate the Onkyo SDK to use the HD Audio features, and given the small market share, that would be a poor use of their resources.

The concept of a mobile Roon server (Nucleus To Go?) is intriguing.

I use my squeezebox for this. One of the reasons that I can’t let go of that.Using Orange Squeeze and connect to my NAS server at home. In my Summerhouse I can stream my music there too.
Even in my Car I have a Android Radio System, that runs Orange Squeeze too.
In LMS(Squeezebox software) you can also make Dynamic SQL playlists of LOCAL rated tracks.
Would love to see this in Roon too. An import of my trackrating would be faboulous. It took me 10 years to rate all my tracks.
I love Roon because it works great with my Roon Ready Preamp Gato PRD-3 NPM
But Roon has still some lacks considered to LMS.
And LMS software is free… Hmm

Hey thanks for the link!

This is why I moved from Roon to Plex. I only use it for music and being able to sync for mobile use is a big plus! I have paid for Plex Pass but this video implies you can do the same [sync off-line rather than streaming] for free with PlexAmp.

I commented on John Darko’s YouTube channel of an app I found that was embedded in the comments. With the basic Plex loaded (in my case, on a NAS), I am able to access my entire library on the go using the Prism Music app (for a one time $4.99 USD purchase). However, I think Prism Music is limited to iOS.

At home, it’s Roon, always.

@David_Weinberg

I just looked at the play store - I don’t see it. So, yup looks to be IOS only.

Cheers.

if you’re ok with the basic settings provided by the app there’s no need to pay extra 5$.
yes apparently iOS only

1 Like

Any sharing capability?

I keep wanting to come back to Roon but the lack of a mobile solution which makes use of the work I have put into Roon at home in the past stops me. At least 50% of my listening is on DAPs and my LG30 phone so cards loaded with suitably tagged and curated music outside of Roon is an essential part of my music world. At the moment it’s the combo of Musicbee+Serviio+BubbleUpnp, which are essentially free, which is giving me the Roonfullness outside of Roon.

If Roon could get a good mobile solution going I would definitely be back in the fold

Has anyone tried out subsonic.org ?

It’s $1 a month (free for first month). Looks like it hosts your local music for mobile listening via apps/desktop.

Looks fairly basic in terms of music management but if it works would do a job for me.

1 Like

Yep I am in the same boat
One reason I left Roon a year ago was the lack of a mobile offering.
I came back this month for a trial, but disappointing not much has changed, still no mobile offering, and a few new bugs introduced

Im back with roon now. Im muddling along with Musicbee and DAPs with 400gb cards for my on the go solution. Now Im back Im loving the round the house effectiveness of roon.

1 Like

Good news :wink:

1 Like

If you watch this and skip to the questions bits later on. Enno gets asked about Roon mobile.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/hifi-chats-volume-23-chat-with-roon-labs-ceo-enno-vandermeer/122192/3

Yep - that was my question. You can find it at 1:24:42. Enno basically said it was a “problem we intend to solve as expediently as we possibly can” and also “probably our single most requested feature”.

Hopefully soon.

3 Likes