What are these endpoints “connected to your Core directly?”

This isn’t Roon directly, it’s an ALSA thing. Her’s what ALSA makes of my NUC core

❯ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC233 Analog [ALC233 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
card 1: Qutest [Qutest], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

Using alsamixer these present as SPDIF output devices which are effectively disabled. My guess is they represent unused chipset capability and would be used as optical out or similar on different hardware.

edit Apologies @Saturn94 , just read this:

1 Like

But doesn’t your screenshot suggest that none of the 5 “HDMI’ are actually connected to the HDMI port? They all say Card 0. Am I misinterpreting that? And if I’m not, would that mean that none of the HDMI “endpoints” appearing in the Roon>Settings>Audio “connected to your core” have any function?

I guess a relevant question here might be have you verified that the HDMI port on your NUC actually works for anything at all?
Can you connect it to a monitor or TV and see if anything happens display wise.

Good idea. I have not done that. But that definitely sounds like a good place to start over. I will before I go through all the other trial and error.

It’s interesting that your screenshot shows the channels with slightly different names from what I’m seeing in my ROCK/NUC setup:

What model of NUC do you have?

ALSA has a model of card, which in turn can have multiple devices. In ALSA speak a device is a capability. Many cards or chipsets have multiple capabilities. So these aren’t conventional hardware devices. On the phone ATM but will have a tinker and provide an example if possible later.

2 Likes

[Intel NUC NUC10i7FNH Ultra Small Mini PC/HTPC - 10th Gen Intel 6-Core i7-10710U up to 4.70 GHz CPU, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, Wi-Fi + Bluetooth, Intel]

I just connected the NUC to my laptop, tried a couple of different HDMI cables. Laptop didn’t show anything in Finder. Not sure what it would show specifically, but I would think that SOMETHING would register.

Well, we know that the NUC10i7FNHN model does not have audio output capability via HDMI, but in this case, you also shouldn’t be seeing the HDMI outputs in Roon’s Settings > Audio screen. So something strange is going on. See this thread:

I don’t quite understand what you were doing here?

Connected the NUC to my MacBook Pro M1 via HDMI to see if the MBP recognized anything different at all. It did not. I may as well have plugged in a flower pot. It doesn’t prove or even perhaps demonstrate anything dispositive, but usually when I plug something—anything with a pulse really— to my MBP, the laptop registers the presence of SOMETHING.

I checked that thread. Toward the bottom is THIS [partial] post:

I’ve been looking some more at info about NUCs and Intel HD Audio, and I think I may have figured it out. My current understanding is that (1) ROCK, unlike Windows, depends on Intel supplying the audio drivers. (2) Intel provides the audio drivers needed for “HD Audio”, or more tangibly, HDMI audio, for some models (e.g., NUC8i7BEH and NUC10i7FNH-non-N) – but not for NUC10i7FNHN . (Why on earth would Intel do this??) (3) Ergo, ROCK can play audio via HDMI on some models, including the NUC8i7BEH that I currently use (“HDA Intel PCH HDMI” zones do show up as available on that model in ROCK), but not on the NUC10i7FNHN .

And I have checked the labels on the NUC. It is the FNH1, NOT the FNHN. Also relevant from that thread: Mine DOES have the headphone jack on the front panel. But does not have analog outputs. At least not RCA. Photo attached.

I suppose I could look in the BIOS, but if they weren’t enabled, I have assumed they wouldn’t show up in the Roon settings as available. Wrong?

I connected headphones to the headphone jack front panel. Nothing anywhere. It;s very much like the device doesn’t have any sound card or capability at all.

Even a working Nucleus/ROCK:NUC wouldn’t register when connected in this fashion. So that in itself doesn’t tell us anything, I’m afraid.

I think it’s down to looking at the settings in the BIOS. If they say that audio and HDMI channels are enabled, then it may be a hardware fault?

Last-ditch suggestion: can you install Windows (even temporarily) to check whether HDMI audio works under those circumstances?

Ok. [He said grudgingly accepting his fate.]

Thank you.

And, BTW, it’s not a Nucleus, but an Intel NUC running ROCK. I’m pretty sure you know that, and that your answer wouldn’t change. Especially since I don’t think one can install Windows on. Nucleus. But just in case…

Yup - I meant ROCK/NUC. Edited my post. Thanks.
You could actually install Windows on a Nucleus, but I would advise against it. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you can, I would try plugging the nuc HDMI into a monitor or tv and see what happens.
I agree that plugging HDMI out (NUC) into HDMI out (MBP) would not get you anywhere or tell you anything useful.

Good suggestion. Thanks @bearFNF

1 Like

I will do that. I seem to have spaced the fact that the MBP HDMI is only an out.

1 Like

There is life. In tiny font in the upper left corner…

And when I go to that IP address there is ROCK status.

But when I connect it to the AVR and tune that to the HDMI input it’s been connected to, I get nothing. The AVR LED screen shows “Intel Nuc:3” but that’s all. The Roon setup screen doesn’t show any sign of recognition.

1 Like