What are these endpoints “connected to your Core directly?”

Your model of Nuc doesn’t support intel HD Audio which was posted earlier by Geoff. so it won’t get anything out of the HDMI under ROCK.

Well, that wasn’t correct. The model that Intel SAYS has no sound card is the FNHN, not the FNH1 which I have.

Also, when I connect a DAC to the USB port it appears as a direct connect endpoint and out comes glorious sound. See screenshot.

Also, I misspoke earlier. I AM getting sound thru the headphone jack.

The Dragonfly is thru the connect so labeled, and the headphone is coming thru the one labeled ALC256.

So is it logical that the HDMI jacks are decoys, but the headphone jack and USB is a real deal? It obviously has a sound card, and doesn’t require a DAC or the headphone jack wouldn’t work I assume. (The headphones being used—Sony MDR-7506–do not have a DAC to my knowledge.)

It just doesn’t have the intel HD audio stuff which is via HDMI or Optical if it had one. It still can output via the analogue output. USB has nothing to do with the HD audio bit it’s via ALSA and not controlled via the same drivers.

That’s inconsistent with this post.

That’s the same model NUC I have.

Hmm, there was no further follow up on this and if you read it all it truly says is that the hdmi shows up as an endpoint.
Exactly the same as yours.
Pity there was nothing further commenting if it actually worked via hdmi

Yes. Odd. Also, the model’s spec sheet on the Intel site describes the following (which sounds like an HD audio driver to me.)

Clue being windows there perhaps and not under Linux?

Yes. I definitely noticed that. But that’s a really really well hidden ball—and violation of consumer expectations. Especially with the HDMI decoy port. Also, still inconsistent with the other guy’s experience.

I would think that the Roon folks would be all over this issue if that’s the case.

And in “Troubleshooting Linux issues on Intel Products/NUCS’ page it says this…

I don’t even know what that means.

It may be time to throw money at it.

I think this might provide a clue;

Ok i solved this myself, small text is hard to read.

Apparently at some point the NUC10i7FNH1 changed to NUC10i7FNHN - amazon and other listings don’t differentiate them.

It lost the 3.5mm jack and gained ‘Intel® HD Audio Technology’ though how i am supposed to use that with no audio out is beyond me. I use it as a server so no great shakes.

(That’s from this thread I came across)
https://www.reddit.com/r/intelnuc/comments/uiks3z/nuc10i7fnh1_vs_nuc10i7fnh_no_35mm_jack_on_fnh/

It seems the FNH1 lacks the Intel HD Audio feature needed for HDMI audio output.

I noticed in your screenshot of your HDMI endpoints, it simply says “HDMI”, and not “HDA Intel HDMI”. That seems to indicate the lack of Intel HD Audio.

3 Likes

Thank you!

That sucks. And it’s a pretty significant “oops.” But at least it seems to solve the riddle.

I wonder if I can glue back some of the hair I yanked out trying to figure this out.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.