What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

LAN feed is to an Aries which has a number of digital outs. I feed those various digital outs around the house to a number of DACs:

Balanced digital out -> Canare 3 way splitter

1. Balanced digital out -> Primare DAC30 -> Balanced Blockhead amp -> Sennheiser HD800S headphones This gives superb AQ
  2. Balanced digital out -> Anthem AVM50 A/V processor -> 7.1 system Halcro & Pl;inius amps with all but the rear being electrotatic speakers
  3. Balanced digital out -> Modified (years ago by Steve Nugent) Benchmark DAC -> another headphone system + analog to the kitchen with a Cambridge amp & Pol;k speakers

Unbalanced digital SPDIF/RCA out -> 2 way digital splitter

1. Unbalanced to a second Benchmark DAC 1 (yes also modded as above) -> Headphones & analog out to a Plinius amp + custom speakers to entertain me in this office
  2. Unbalanced -> Arcam irDAC with linear power supply -> Luxman amp -> custom speakers

Optical digital out -> Audiogd-DAC19 -> anolog runs to 2 other rooms with assorted amps & speakers.

Roon is remotely controlled by a 12./9’ iPad.

All the above is the culmination of over 60 years of building/messing around with audio toys.

If I was asked to nominate the “best value” DAC in the above lot I would vote for the recently acquired used Arcam irDAC which is fed by a used linear power supply (the original wall mount power supply is pathetic).

You raise an important topic - the DAC can make or break the AQ. The manner in which jitter is handled is crucial. Note I’m not referring to the new MQA in any of this so I’m guessing that will sponsor a new breed of DAC for the market and alter many preconceived ideas.

John

1 Like

Benchmark DAC3 HGC with microRendu & LPS 1. Enjoying the music.

Raspberry Pi3 running DietPi >> Oppo BDP105

Also have another Pi3running DietPi with an IQAudio DAC+

That’s some good Schitt! :grinning:

Nice! How does this discrete R2R chip compares to delta-sigma DACs?

2 Likes

PS Audio DirectStream Junior. Not even broken in, and it sounds awesome in the direct to amp - no preamp required - mode.

3 Likes

I second that emotion. No pre-amp, direct ethernet via Bridge II (look mama no computer frontend) and really is sounding awesome.

See discussion here.. I think you were referring to “discrete R2R” and “delta-sigma chip DACs”.

@andybob

That is correct! Thank you for the link.

iFi Micro iDSD Black Label
iFi Nano USB3 power supply
iFi Gemini cable (probably overkill, but what’s another $200?)

Haven’t taken the HQ Player plunge, yet.

1 Like

dual pc roon --> jplay --> audiopc firewire --> Mytek 192

Chord Mojo
IFI Nano
& whatever’s in a pair of KEF X300A’s :slight_smile:

Raspberry Pi Hifiberry Digi + into Musical Fidelity KW25

Previously a PS Audio DirectStream Dac with Bridge II network card for Roon - amazing.

Parted ways with that to make roon for a speaker upgrade - now my main Dac is a Chord Mojo.

Mojo input is Analysis Plus toslink cable from a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro and output is Analysis Plus Silver Oval iPod cable (3.5mm to RCA).

Also have a HiFiBerry DAC+ PRO (with 5V power supply upgrade) in another system which I sometimes bring in my main system for fun.

The laws of diminishing (but still noticeable) returns in full effect, from the HiFiBerry DAC+ PRO to the Chord Mojo to my former DirectStream Dac. Of course I miss the DirectStream Dac which was insanely amazing but the performance of more affordable Dacs out there is staggering, in terms of bang for buck.

Currently the one in the Powernode 2

+1 for mojo here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Raspberry Pi DIGI+PRO -RCA-> mojo
Raspberry Pi -USB-> Oppo Sonica DAC

I use an Aesthetix Romulus Signature tube DAC to excellent results. Norm

Hi Jules_Herfst,

I’m new to the Roon environment. Expanding my Raumfeld multiroom system over the last 7 years, I now work with 7 zones. Being happy with the Raumfeld speakers and multiroom capabilities I like the Roon Concept to search, find, present, rummaging music much more. Is there a way to connect and trigger the 7 zones directly through Roon Server / Bridge / Remote?

Holger

Using the built in ESS Sabre 9018K2M in my Pioneer XDP-100R DAP when on the road (or at work)
Sounding surprisingly decent even with big planar headphones. (Hifiman HE-1K & HE-400i)