What DAC do you use with Roon? Please list make and model (and price if you feel like adding it) [2016 - 2021-03]

MAC MINI 2013 i7 16GB RAM USB OUT TO SCHIIT GUNGNIR(PRE MULTIBIT) GOOGLE CHROME TIME WARNER HIGH RATE CABLE

5 posts were split to a new topic: Raspberry Pi Tube HAT

Lampizator Big 7 DAC. I feed it from a fanless, silent PC I assembled with a Streacom case.

I’ve yet to figure out HQplayer - am keen to be able to output Tidal in DSD to my Lampiator DSD DAC.

Audio Alchemy DDP-1 via shunyata venom usb

DAC : Devialet 120
NAS> MacBookAir (RoonServer) > Dev 120 (All ETH wired)
Roon Remote - iPad mini 4

edit
USB from MacBookAir to Devialet -OR- Devialet AIR3 Protocol
For now Prefer AIR3 works like Charm

1 Like

Server: NUC i7 with 2,5" Harddisk for the music (weekly backup on NAS via network) connect via USB with
DAC: T+A PDP 3000 HV includes to DAC (1x PCM, 1 x DSD) connect via XLR with
Amplifier: T+A PA 3000 HV
Speakers: Gauder Cassiano Diamond

Works pretty good and sounds incredible …

How, exactly are you using an Oppo 105D as a DAC using the HDMI input? What kind of endpoint are you using that has HDMI out? Maybe I’ve misunderstood what you’re doing, so I’d like to know how you’ve configured things. The 105D is amazing and I’d love to use it with Roon, but I can’t get it to work in my system.

Very simple set-up. I have a Mac Mini, and use the hdmi output direct to the Oppo 105D. It’s used for a variety of video as well as for Roon.

1 Like

Ah. I’ve never thought of connecting my Mini to the 105D. Both go into an input on my receiver now. I assume that you have to select HDMI as your audio output device in system preferences? And if you connect it that way, does the 105D just show up as an output device? And what formats do you get? DSD?

Yes I select HDMI as the output of the Mini, and the Oppo in Roon. I then effectively use the Oppo as the receiver as there are only three inputs in my set-up (ie the Oppo DVD, the TV via the front HDMI and the Mac Mini via the rear HDMI). Then the Oppo provides analog outputs to the receiver as I prefer its volume control. The set-up will work with the Oppo direct to the amplifiers if the volume control is set to variable.

I have an iMac running Roon Core, and a Win 10 PC client. Waiting for my sonicTransporter to arrive.

PS Audio PWD II (direct USB from iMac, coax from Squeezebox)
Chord Mojo (iMac USB)
Oppo HA-1 (Toslink from iMac, USB from PC)

I use Resonessence Labs INVICTA Mirus. It works very well with Roon Bridge via USB on Windows Server 2012 R2 with ASIO driver

DAC/Pre: Cambridge Audio Azur 851D
Wireworld Starlight USB cable
Audioquest Jitterbug x2
Power Amps: Hypex Ncore NC400 Mono Blocs
Speakers: GoldenEar Triton Seven
Dirac Live (stereo)

Current setup (5 rooms):

Slimdevices/Logitech Transporter (S/PDIF on BNCs) -> TacT RCS -> TacT digital amps
Slimdevices/Logitech Transporter (S/PDIF on BNCs) -> Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Slimdevices/Logitech Transporter (S/PDIF on BNCs) -> Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Slimdevices/Logitech Transporter (S/PDIF) -> Meridian 861v8
Squeezebox Touch (S/PDIF) -> Wadia PowerDAC Mini digital amp

Migrating toward Roon-native zone players (so far one Sonicorbiter SE in house, microRendu ordered, one zone is usefully close to a Mac running Roon) via USB instead of faithful Transporters. The TacT gear has no USB audio input, so I’m thinking that’ll be fed from one of the Sonore gizmos via an Audiophilleo USB-S/PDIF gizmo.

1 Like

Wow, you went to town buying Transporters. Sad to see them being used only as, well…transports. They’re still pretty good sounding vs many more recent DACs.

1 Like

Roon on MacBookPro connected via USB to music on separate hard drive, Sonic Orbiter (first generation, cannot be certified as RoonReady) accessed via BitWise used for 3 zones in house) connected via USB to PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

MacBook is in my office, stereo (if that’s the term) rig in another room. So there’s no noise issue. I am debating whether there’s any advantage to getting Roon off my computer and onto the Sonic Transporter.

Updated to add a hifiberry DAC and RaspberryPi2 combo in a second zone.

Currently testing a µRendu into the Devialet for the full RoonReady experience, but looks like I may go back to AIR (the new AIR3).

1 Like

Yeah, I did. This “going to town” took place over about eight years - started with one Transporter in a network of Squeezeboxes 2 and 3, really liked the way it sounded, picked up more as the budget allowed; eventually replaced all earlier Squeezeboxes with models which wouldn’t force Squeezebox/Logitech Server to limit everything synchronized to a least common denominator sampling rate as dictated by any device limited to 48k - so that meant Transporters or Touches all around.

I was using the analog outputs of two of them for years - they really do have perfectly nice DAC sections. But a Schiit Gungnir Multibit sounds better.

And in two places it would have made no sense to use an analog output - the TacT system and the Meridian 861 both have purely digital guts, so the audio would have had to either be injected straight as digital or go through an unnecessary DAC-ADC transformation.

My experience too, my ears prefer R-2R over Delta Sigma, which is why I bought a Yggdrasil.

2 Likes

I aspire to have a[n] Yggdrasil in the fullness of time. Sadly, it won’t fit in the budget anytime super-soon.

The Gumby gives me a good taste of the intrinsic rightness of the Schiit multibit approach, though I assume without quite the same level of neck-hair-raising subtle detail.

Heck, even the unassuming Bifrost I have at work - once I got it upgraded to multibit flavor, I started preferring it to the DAC in the Meridian Prime (except maybe for those couple of 2L MQA tracks).

1 Like