What gear will you buy in 2024?

As a follow-up to this thread:

I feel I’ve had a bit of an epiphany.

I got my Linn Klimax (Organik) DS back before Christmas, complete with a new Utopik PS.

I have a ‘problem’ now? The DS sounds as good as my beloved SACD player, even with RB 16/44 vs SACD/DSD64 via the SACD player.

I’m trying desperately to simplify my system. I want to ‘get-rid’ of as much as I can, as I have too many ‘boxes’ as it is.

If I get-rid of my SACD player, I can get-rid of my pre-amp and my phono stage, and get a Linn Urika II and Krystal (replacing the Adikt on my Ekos 1) and send the LP12 signal via Exakt to my KDS. I could then use the internal KDS volume control, and dispense with a total of three boxes. This exercise may even work out to be a ‘cash generator’, depending on how much my SACD player, pre-amp and phono stage sell for in total.

Opinions on this would be welcome :grinning:

But on a more general note, is anyone else planning changes/purchases this year? Is so, why?

I hope to buy nothing in 2024. I did just receive this footstool and today ordered some stainless steel legs for the chair to eliminate the swivel/rocking motion.

I need to come up with $16,000 by August to pay off our new HVAC systems (2 furnaces and 2 a/c units) without dipping into Roth IRA funds. We got 12 months interest free, no payments that comes due.

For the last 14 years, I’ve been doing Roth IRA conversions and paying the taxes and have one more year before it’s all converted. Getting ready for a marginal tax rate increase when my wife inherits some money. She can pay her own taxes. I just mailed a check today for 4th Q taxes due 1/16.

3 Likes

Nothing exciting here. Just have to get my ethernet network sorted to eliminate the Devolo Magic 2 Lan ethernet over power devices that I’m currently using to get ethernet from my router to my lounge.

Not they have caused any issues. Just want to eliminate as many points of failure as I can.

1 Like

Absolutely nothing. I’ve finally reached audio bliss and end-game equipment. I’m done.

<reserved for the next hyped audio gadget that catches my eye and ‘FOMO’ neurosis :rofl:>

4 Likes

I feel your pain with HVAC replacement. Ours went out during Thanksgiving 2022 and with the extreme summer heat here in Texas we had to go with the biggest unit available, cost $21000.00. Lucky for us the company had a 72 month no interest thing going and we took advantage of that. I’ve been paying double payments every month since then and still owe about what you mentioned. The joys of home ownership at its worst.

Between that and 140k for a recent remodel I’ve had to forget about audio upgrades for awhile.

Still hoping to upgrade the towers in the surround system to Bowers and Wilkins 702 s3’s or 802 D4’s. Time will tell.

4 Likes

I will buy one too, to HEAT the room! Here in the Netherlands we have the most expensive gas in Europe, maybe in the whole world and a monopoly for a Scandinavian company to sell us some warmth in the (now) cold winter. An HVAC runs on electricity and will save us a lot of money.
I also plan to build another bass absorber.

1 Like

Me neither. I just love my system as it is :heart_eyes:

I just want to get-rid of stuff and simplify, stuff that (in my case) wouldn’t change the ‘nature’ of the system, other than losing a relatively seldom-used source.

2 Likes

FiiO M23 :slight_smile: - Should have been released end 2023

Torben

1 Like

I have my eye on somethings but depends on a few things falling in line and if Roon sorts out my niggles before subscription renewal as this may dictate a different path I go. But the house needs some upkeep that has been put off for so long and likely take priority.

3 Likes

I sold my main hifi rig as I got bored of big speakers and lots af cables in the lounge.

I now have a small office desktop system as my hifi, and sonos surround in the lounge.

I keep thinking of getting a nice headphone amp for quality listening but can’t decide what to get and keep spending money on my motorcycle.

1 Like

Sadly maybe something that takes me away from Roon.
The ongoing issues with the IOS remote app are really frustrating and I see no urgency from Roon on this matter.

So right now I am thinking about two routes, a cheap streamer so I can use Tidal , maybe a BluOs product as it seems to have a nice integration

Other option is the NAD M33 to replace my Devialet 200. This way I have a choice of Roon or Tidal.
I would keep the Nucleus to see how things unfold with Roon

1 Like

I’ve basically replaced all my hifi last year. So I don’t see a reason to buy something this year.

3 Likes

For sure:
New turntable (undecided)
Gold Note PH-10 with separate power supply
Possibly:
Cary SLI-80HS integrated
Volti Razz speakers

2 Likes

I bought the Gold Note PH-5 in 2023 and got the PSU-5 last week and can say both have been excellent additions to my setup.

I am sure that the PH-10 and PSU-10 will be an even bigger improvement

2 Likes

Denafrips Terminator.

1 Like

Just ordered a pair of speaker cables from Prosper Cables. So I didn’t spend any money for the first eight days of the year.

1 Like

Crate of Theakston Old Peculiar.

2 Likes

This is the year I’m going to call it quits for a while on upgrading my system!

Wait a minute, I said that last year too and it didn’t work. :thinking:

2 Likes

For sure: HQP 5.0

Likely: DCA E3

Maybe: Holo Audio Cyan 2

2 Likes

I’m planning on replacing my NAD M32 with NAD M66 & M23. The M66 has 4 independent subwoofer outputs, XLR & RCA for each, plus a DIRAC that’s just for integrating the subwoofers with the main speakers.

2 Likes