What Linux is the best, simplest for n00bs and alltogether the best performing?

Guys, I have to thank you all for the very helpful efforts. I don’t know how to proceed, there is no software grphic symbol to click among the other softwares. But somehow I thnink the process is done. :smiley:
I will take a short paus and scroll for any signs a successful installation …

2 Likes

That’s ok, I have autistic friends and can relate. Still, just do your best to stay calm.

Someone posted a short and basic tutorial on how to use the command line on Ubuntu; I’d recommend you peruse it. You will get the hang of the command line and you’ll see that you don’t want a GUI to install and maintain Roon Sever on Linux. No advanced command line knowledge or experience is needed…

Ok… now we can proceed to the next step: figure out if Roon Server is up and running… To do so, just use the following command which will query the Roon Server’s status:

sudo systemctl status roonserver.service

Then post the output here and we all can hopefully celebrate a new successful installation…

BTW, you should consider copying these basic commands to some cheat sheet for future reference…

1 Like

This is also a mains filter? Or something else?

Hi, this did not give a satisfying answer. Anything else I can try?

It is a mains filter, out of the ordinary. A lot inside, and not a lot dead weight.

1 Like

Here is what the system replied, mor perhaps did not reply, I do not know?

With sudo you indicate that you wish to execute the following command as ‘super user’ or user with admin privilege. So it will ask you again your password, to elevate temporarily your privilege. The Linux command shell (the environment where you interact with the system typing commands and receiving the output of those commands) will remember this privilege, as long as you continue giving commands with sudo. After five minutes of inactivity, you will be asked for your password again.

So, lösenord för stefan: just prompts you to type once again your password. Just do as prompted, and the command will be executed with the necessary privilege and you will receive its output.

3 Likes

Is this what should I get? there is one Not responding there that confuses me
Thanks Andreas

traianboldea@ubuntu:~$ sudo systemctl status roonserver.service
[sudo] password for traianboldea:
● roonserver.service - RoonServer
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2023-03-10 13:34:16 UTC; 3h 49min ago
Main PID: 29056 (start.sh)
Tasks: 74 (limit: 4537)
Memory: 385.1M
CPU: 2min 57.022s
CGroup: /system.slice/roonserver.service
├─29056 /bin/bash /opt/RoonServer/start.sh
├─29061 /opt/RoonServer/RoonDotnet/RoonServer RoonServer.dll
├─29080 /opt/RoonServer/RoonDotnet/RoonAppliance RoonAppliance.dll -watchdogport=43571
├─29086 /opt/RoonServer/Server/processreaper 29080
└─29202 /opt/RoonServer/RoonDotnet/RAATServer RAATServer.dll

Mar 10 13:34:16 ubuntu systemd[1]: Started RoonServer.
Mar 10 13:34:17 ubuntu start.sh[29061]: 00:00:00.001 Warn: get lock file path: /tmp/.rnsgem0-
Mar 10 13:34:17 ubuntu start.sh[29061]: Initializing
Mar 10 13:34:17 ubuntu start.sh[29061]: 00:00:00.144 Debug: RoonServer, before attempting to start RoonAppliance binary at path: /opt/RoonServer/Server/…/Appliance/RoonAppliance
Mar 10 13:34:17 ubuntu start.sh[29061]: 00:00:00.165 Debug: RoonServer, after starting RoonAppliance
Mar 10 13:34:17 ubuntu start.sh[29061]: Started
Mar 10 13:34:21 ubuntu start.sh[29080]: aac_fixed decoder found, checking libavcodec version…
Mar 10 13:34:21 ubuntu start.sh[29080]: has mp3float: 1, aac_fixed: 1
Mar 10 13:34:22 ubuntu start.sh[29061]: Not responding
Mar 10 13:34:27 ubuntu start.sh[29061]: Running
traianboldea@ubuntu:~$

1 Like

Yes, and this is the important part… your server is up and running…

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Now going for some tutorials :slight_smile:

Hi, again

been submerged a couple of days, the Roon/Linux installation do not work here, but I will get back to it shortly.
Now I wish to ask, would the chipset GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, 4,864 cores, make a substantial difference when it comes to CPU off-load. I have a I9-10900 LGA 1200, therefore I wish to see what the jump to a nvidia GPU off-load will do. I am having trouble playing back 24-192 tracks. That is the only speed that halts the playback for a second here and there, all other speeds on Qobuz works fine.
It feels that it are on the verge … maybe this is what it takes? Anyone with the knowledge about processes in the computer, who can share if the cuda off-load from the card chipset above compared to the CPU performance, will be clearly obvious or the cuda number is still just minor? Thanks :heartbeat:

I’m going to say yes as my 9900k with a small OC benefits greatly from a titan X, 12gb ram, 3072 cores (but it is only a compute lvl 5.x… aka, very old)

The Ti cards have more cuda cores. The only problem with the 3060ti is it only has 8gb of memory.

I enjoy DSD 512 with ASDM7ECv2 with all but a few combos with the 9900k titan x setup, using Ubuntu Desktop. gauss-XLA and sinc-L are two problematic ones. A few others I need to use the 2s filters.

With a MacStudio M1 Max I can only get ASDM7ECv2 at 256 rates. Definitely not the best $2k investment. :woozy_face:

3 Likes

I agree. For 1/2 that price you could get a current Intel i5 or i7 desktop booting HQP OS from a USB drive. It will easily do 256/7ECv2 and likely 512 when using hqplayer embedded.
But, as Jussi has mentioned a few times, 7ECv2 @ 256 is quite good, 512 may not be very much better. So enjoy 256, it’s not too shabby.

1 Like

Yup.

A few more M revisions and Apple will probably have a worthy Low power Mail/SpamSieve, Roon, HQP (512 w/7ECv2), zfs (ram hog, more than hqplayer :laughing:) machine.

The 9900k/TitanX combo is still in service and used regularly.

The 13900k/3080Ti FTW I’m trying to tame. Now this thing is exciting. :crazy_face: …Maybe too exciting :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes, if your CPU is struggling, the CUDA offload will help.

2 Likes

Guess there are a bunch of nerds diving in a bit too deep in the abyss … :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Only with certain filter and DSD modulator combo

I wouldn’t spend 1 euro on a GPU until you get things working

You might be able to get DSD256 + gauss + 5EC working and love the sound

And no need for GPU if CPU works fine alone

There are several filters I’ve never heard with EC modulator because they need GPU help - but I love current combo, no interest in spending another $1k to hear a handful of other filters

It is not horribly fast, but I think it should be capable of gauss-xl(a) from 192k source rates. But 8 GB of RAM is tight for memory hog filters like sinc-Mx or sinc-L(l). For poly-sinc -group the RAM should suffice.

2 Likes

Hear you. What I love is the DSD256 DoP, ASDM7ECv2 and poly-sinc-gauss-xla. That is the abslolutely cleanest setting I have ever experienced. HQP and my RME, is with this settings matching far more expensive setups. The silence is almost overwhelming making each note almost 3D and almost possible to grab with your hands. Simply magic. The only flaw it cannot play 24-192 using the I9-10900 only. All other 24 bit tracks. It is getting more and more 24-192 on Qobuz. That is the only reason. I am just an addict and a sucker for that specific setting. :slight_smile: :smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Stefan_Jorma here is the memory usage on with 192k → Mx 7ECv2 DSD256 and 192k → Mx 7ECv2 DSD512 48k.

sinc-Mx so far from my testing uses the most GPU RAM. xla is using well under 2GB with the same source and 7ECv2 modulator.

I supplied some other info using win10 13900k 3080ti that I have been trying to get to work well with embedded and/or ubuntu. so far i’ve only had success with win10 which does not make sense to me cause windows usually gets in the way.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/hqplayer-embedded-thread/160210/1695?u=ffk

1 Like