What Roon could have done to save themselves some hassle with unsupported OS users

A tip for future reference: when there is a major release, check the Roon Software Discussion category for pinned posts.

In the top post, under “Other Changes” you’ll find the information you may have missed elsewhere. I hope this helps.

1 Like

I would say a couple of things here:

It seems the 2.0 notes where published same day as software release. Can that be done sooner before the software release, just in case someone’s core is set to auto-update?

Also, I miss seeing anything in the notes about remotes.

I’ve had several issues in the past with the Core auto-updating and not working after, until a patch was released. So I turned off updates on the core. But of course, the remotes did update, and don’t work now until I reinstall either 2.0 (not currently an option) or install the 1.8 legacy core package. Until I install /something/, I have no music.
-Alan

1 Like

Thanks Jamie for getting back to me, I really appreciate your response and also Roon’s continued efforts to improve the software and bring excellent new improvements for its customers.

I know you’ll be flat-out with questions and queries, but there’s a couple I have from your response…

I didn’t update to Roon 2.0… I wasn’t going to update to Roon 2.0 until I had the time… I knew my OS wasn’t compatible with it. My issue was with the remotes updating before I had chance to prepare my core for the update.

It’s primarily a headless server, so I have little use for Roon Remote on the actual core, preferring to use tablets etc to control it. I was told many years ago the Roon Server would be a more efficient use case for this scenario, can you tell me why that is not now the case and what problems I may encounter?

Regarding the OS on my core, I wasn’t complaining about Roon 2.0 needing a new OS, I totally accept that that is the case, what I was complaining about is that the updates to the OS’s of the remote software on the tablets I use caused them to cease to work with the Roon Core software I still had installed on my Mac. I was upset that the update broke my system, and I had to set aside some time to resolve the problem, even though I had not elected to update my core until I read up what was required, and had not done any update at that point.

You say…

but I can’t see anywhere there where I can change update preferences for my iPad, my iPhone, or my Amazon Fire HD tablet.

That “Remote” that you point to in your screenshot is the local remote on the core machine, which I do not generally use…

As I say… I hadn’t updated anything on my core, it was still working, but un-controllable from my remotes.

But I do use an Amazon Fire HD, in my kitchen and lounge and they worked fine until you uploaded a new version of your control software to Amazon’s App Store which was subsequently force loaded onto my tablet… I couldn’t stop it. Now it doesn’t work with Roon 1.8 Legacy.

That may be out of your control, but… providing a Roon 1.8 Legacy app alongside the Roon 2.0 app on Amazon is… Could you let me know when that will be available?

Absolutely… and I appreciate that, and would have read fully all information before I chose to upgrade to 2.0. I was quite busy today, so was going to leave that update until I could properly approach it as I knew I would have to update my OS (and I’ve got to buy other new apps for the Mac before I do that). However… I’ve been forced to install a stop-gap solution until I can dedicate the time to properly updating my core, as the software update you pushed out to my remotes this afternoon broke my system, and the only way I could get it working again was to install legacy software.

All I was asking was for maybe a “Heads Up” that that was going to occur?

I hope you can understand that when a customer has a solid reliable music ecosystem running in their house, they can get frustrated when suddenly it stops working and they have to put in a load of effort to get it working again.

2 Likes

I think Jamie’s statement is using a polite form of ‘victim blaming’ to mount a defence of ‘you should have known better’ to the criticism made. The less educated user could have been helped by a very short advance warning of these potential problems, whether ‘self inflicted’ or not. Lots of people had very similar issues, minor but frustrating. Not the end of the world of course. It’s a minor criticism, but it’s being defended rather than accepted.

3 Likes

Absolutely right Paul.

I wouldn’t mind his response if I had actually chosen to update to 2.0 without Reading the F’in manual and then bellyached about it not working… But I chose to delay that process because I knew it would need me to invest time I didn’t really have today. Then watched my iPad, my iPhone, and eventually my two Amazon Fire remotes cease to function before my eyes, while my core remained on V1.8.

Jamie has unfortunately failed to understand my frustration.

Hey ho! :roll_eyes:

Not an unreasonable request from the many folks who found themselves bumped off. Communicating hardware compatibility (along with a whitelist of impacted /expired legacy gear) is fairly standard operating procedure.

1 Like

Don’t know about Fire tablets, but for iPads, etc.

Didn’t that work for you?

Yeah… when I said

I meant, within the Roon software.

I know I can globally turn off app updates in iOS, and if I had known that Roon was about to cease to work unless I did, I would have done that until I had the time to update Roon.

So… yes… that would have worked for me. I’m just moaning that I didn’t get a heads up until it was too late.

Also… it’s a bit “Sledgehammer to crack a nut” turning all updates off just to stop Roon breaking.

They have a means of turning off updates to the core and remote on the core… within Roon, but no way of turning off updates on connected tablets.

Fire Tablets don’t have the option at all.

See, Roon can’t control how updates are accomplished on App Store apps. To expect otherwise is just being unreasonable, IMO.

Still, maybe this is a ‘teachable’ moment. Dunno.

1 Like

It’s astonishing to see the Roon staff victim-blaming here, An incompetently managed release with inappropriate communication to users (see my thread in Support) and untrue assertions (aka “lies”) from moderators about what these communications said. They didn’t say “check your core upgrade” they said your core will upgrade but make sure you upgrade your remotes first. Do that with a perfectly functional older server and your are screwed. The reason landfill is full of electronics is this kind of stupidity.

Heads should roll in customer communications, if not in engineering. Having been a massive advocate for Roon I am now looking for an open source solution where version (n-1) is still available if you want it, and upgrades are managed properly.

3 Likes

Hey @Dan_Brown,

I do understand your frustration. Everything used to work the way you liked it, and now it doesn’t. Your music was knackered. Nobody wants that. I wouldn’t want that and I empathize with your frustration. Totally.

I don’t understand why you are upset with Roon that your devices updated or why you say that you were forced to install the update.

Roon doesn’t do forced updates. Neither my Core, nor any of my remotes have updated on their own since I’ve been a Roon customer.

Those are settings that you control. The settings on your mobile devices, app store preferences, etc, are under your control. If they are set to automatically install updates on your devices. Then they are updates you elected to take through the settings you selected or in this case - didn’t select.

It looks like you downloaded both Roon Remote and Roon Server to your MacMini. I recommend removing the Roon Remote app from that machine. Running both on an older machine has caused issues for Customers in the past. Roon Server is a lighter install, as you’re aware. Just run that. :+1:t2:

Roon Remote apps have been sent to the various app stores, unfortunately, they become available in didn’t regions at different times. Hopefully, it will be there soon.

@jobseeker and @Paul_Jessop, I’m merely trying to explain how updates are pushed and that customers are in control of those settings. I don’t view that as victim-blaming but I understand you’re upset and I emphasize, again, that the last thing we wanted was for people to have problems.

Indeed, as a “Community Manager” Jamie portrays a community some may be less inclined to want to be a part of. Thankfully the software itself seldom speaks with Jamie’s tone, and one can enjoy the fruits of Roon’s developers and the pleasing sounds they help deliver.

I too was frustrated and unnecessarily inconvenienced by this roll out, becoming a victim of a similar sequence of events as described above—headless mac mini media server on 10.13 and an iPhone that surprisingly auto updated.

Cleaning things up was not straightforward at all. Contrary to what some may be arguing, guidance provided by Roon prior to and at time of 2.0’s release was wholly insufficient for those of us trying to get the most out of older, but otherwise well-functioning, hardware.

As a lifetime subscriber from year two, this was all quite surprising.

Prior to learning of 2.0’s release, I was thinking to myself that I really should emerge from lurker status to thank Roon for finally establishing a stable enough system that I could share it with others in the household. Not until recently have Roon Remote devices here been consistently capable of connecting to the core (and/or not having trouble logging into Tidal) that I could say “it just works” and others can start controlling it too. Ironic that this has occurred right before hardware here is being deprecated. Nonetheless, I am genuinely thankful and appreciative of the extensive work the devs do to iterate Roon across so many platforms, and do hope I might be able to hang out with 1.8 well past December and can further delay the purchase of new hardware.

1 Like

I’m and IT guy. This is the reason I tell all my clients to turn off Auto Updates. It sounds like a convenience but in the end it causes needless headaches and disappointments. Especially in this situation or when an update removes features from an app and then becomes subscription only.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me again. I do appreciate you taking the time.

Unfortunately not… on the Amazon Fire HD tablets, with apps supplied by the Amazon App Store. I’ve trawled the internet for too long this evening, and I can find no way to turn off Automatic Updates with their service.

I can maybe side load an apk for Google Play Store and maybe do it that way… seems like a lot of faff!

Thanks anyway.

Good to know. I don’t have any clients with Fire Tablets but I will look into this.

1 Like

Wait a minute… I’ve found it…!

Settings - Amazon Application Settings - Appstore - Automatic Updates

I can swear it wasn’t there when I looked earlier!

Humble pie being eaten!! :disappointed:

4 Likes

At least you’ve found it!

1 Like

You’re the most patient person on the Internet. Truly impressive.

Even if not fully supported, would it be possible to install ROON 2.0 on windows 7? We’re still using Windows Media Center for TV viewing and I cant get my wife to move over to something else. As this PC is always on already, I dont want to run another PC 24/7 just for ROON. Surely it will work fine, but now its being blocked from upgrading because of an unsupported OS.

Willing to take my chances to run an unsupported configuration on the server and avoid running “legacy apps” on my ipad/iphone

@Martin_Webster Could you clarify how customers are supposed to know to check the pinned posts when there is a major release.

A professionally managed product wouldn’t need this. Or at least it would alert customers for a premium priced product before giving them instructions that brick their systems. This wasn’t hard and only needed nine words in the email. “Hardware requirements have changed - you should check before upgrading”. Roon didn’t and showed clearly this is not a professionally managed product.