What streamer do you use?

Multichannel Roon to AVR or AVprepro?

I stream my local library residing on an external HDD connected to a 2011 iMac music workstation in the basement as well as Qobuz all over WiFi to a Nucleus+ upstairs then to an Oppo UDP-205…
I->
Via RAAT WiFi for everyday listening. I like this route because I can use the RoonOS remote to control Oppo volume and use any PCM upsampling when it tickles my fancy. The analogue signal is then sent to my Parasound Halo Integrated via XLR or RCA (depending on what sounds better to me that day). It sounds very good!
I->
Via USB when I want to listen to native DSD files or upsample PCM to DSD. I lose the ability to use RoonOS remote for volume control, but it is for sweet spot critical listening anyway, so it isn’t as casual or necessary. The analogue signal is then sent to my Parasound Halo Integrated via XLR or RCA (depending on what sounds better to me that day). It sounds very good!
I->
Via HDMI for anything multichannel. I process speaker level and distance and other DSP settings in The Nucleus+ before it gets to the Oppo. The Oppo then passes the signal to my Yamaha AVR RX-775 where the Yamaha DAC processes the multichannel then out via Pure Direct directly to the rear speakers (KEF LS50) and to my main Tekton Double Impact speakers through the Parasound HALO Integrated acting as a power amp for the mains. It sounds pretty dang good!

1 Like

Thnx!!
Oppo is necessary as Yamaha isn’t roon-ready?
But Oppo restricts the number of channels, isn’t it?
Thnx again !!

I haven’t been successful getting it to work when I run HDMI out directly from Nucleus+ to the Yamaha, but that doesn’t mean it will not. I just gave up. :upside_down_face:

Oppo is letting all channels through, but I have an odd issue (handshake?) that prevents all channels from working initially. Yesterday it resolved itself within 20 minutes, but I don’t remember what I did to get it to work, hehe.

I’ve seen this mentioned before (about using Oppo). I use my Nucleus via Ethernet to Windows 10 PC endpoint (my second system), out via HDMI to the Denon x6300 and I listen in Stereo to my cd’s and Qobuz. My PC has a wireless mouse so I can control Roon from my listening position (20ft away) while looking at Roon on the big screen. I get 24/192 when the file offers it and my subwoofers are in play so I’m getting 2.2 sound on the Media Player input. Also I can use the Direct setting if I want to turn off the screen. There are no channel restrictions. When I play my multichannel discs they are available on the BluRay input from the disc player. If I had some multichannel files for streaming you change the sound parameter to multichannel. So my question is why use the Oppo? If it is sound quality you should give your AVR a try solo.

@TuliaNonTroppo my question about the Oppo was for you.

Denon is roon ready.

Oppo is 7.1 Maybe thats the problem with all channels.

Have you tried? It’s the end point/DAC that’s reading the stream. If that is the Oppo you can use the HDMI out to the Yamaha for local and Qobuz files.

Sorry, my answer apout Oppo was for @TuliaNonTroppo

Also, You have to enable the HDMI ports in set up on the Nucleus if you have not done that already.

I don’t want to derail, but I think out to Yamaha has not been successful because it doesn’t manage ARC very well–my best guess at least. I will try again one day soon, I suppose, but I want to get one thing working at a time because my goal is to listen to the multichannel files reliably. I can get the Oppo working, and I think it is an HDMI handshake problem, as the channel drop out resolves itself eventually. It could be the Oppo, as HDMI stereo with DSP from the Nucleus+ and Oppo can be unreliable (vs more reliability via Raat or USB). Honestly there are so many issues, I just try to get stability for the most part. Right now I have 95% stability, so I will work on it another time–but right now I am dealing with choking air and encroaching fires threatening our city limits. I won’t answer on this topic in this thread again, @John_Kaster and @STAVROS_LAGKADIANOS but am more than happy to take it “offline” and have PM conversations about issues. Cheers, and thanks for taking an interest in my streaming methods! :smiley:

1 Like

OMG my friend, my thoughts on you. I hope the danger passes as soon as possible !!

2 Likes

@TuliaNonTroppo Be safe.

1 Like

Streamers are

1. The ROCK/Nuc Core itself (using HDMI),
  2. RPi4 + USB to Quad Artera DAC,
  3. Chromecasts and
  4. Endpoints on Windows 10 and Android devices…

3 Likes

Nice drawing, mine (digital part only) is not as colorful…

I use the WXC50 as well and like it.

I believe that streamers make a way bigger difference than they “should”. :thinking:

My journey: Positively surprised by changing from a modified Mac mini 2011 to microRendu, ultraRendu and finally settling for Auralic Aries G2. Every step is a way forward in the perception of better music reproduction.

But since my Aries G2 is now (temporarily) sent back to Auralic for a warranty thing I’m challenging this position. Before sending it back I used the Mac mini as an endpoint briefly. A/B testing this with friends resulted in a quite significant negative impact. The overall sense of loss in dynamics. A noticeable example: the same piano track sounded like it was played on a different piano set. The “decay” of notes sounded vastly different that was easy to even double-blind test with a very high 80%+ difference.

Today I received the Allo Usbridge Signature with Shanti power supply. So far unfortunately not impressed. Seems like it lacks something that my brain wants to find or “hear”. Hopefully just some kind of mind trick. I am hoping to keep the Allo for my office later. I will let it play for some time and then compare with the Mac mini. Will be very interesting to test against the Aries G2 later when I get the unit back. Running Ropieee OS on the Allo.

Currently:
Allo Usbridge Signature --> (USB) --> Chord M-Scaler --> (dual-BNC) --> Chord DAVE

1 Like

Naim Atom - RAAT
Pi 4 with Ropieee (x3)- RAAT
Sonos zp90 (x2) - Sonos
Sonos Play 1 - Sonos
Chromecast audio - Chromecast
Pioneer DAP - RAAT
Sony Soundbar - Chromecast
W10 NUC - RAAT
W10 laptop - RAAT
iPAD - RAAT
Android phones (x2) - RAAT