What's Rocking You Tonight [2022-09]

Holy Moly!

This is going to be a strong contender for album of the year for myself.
Allen and Olzon in outstanding form!
Righteous!!

4 Likes

9 Likes

Just added thanks

1 Like

5 Likes

Looks interesting - added to my Tidal library.

1 Like

Doug Martsch formed Built to Spill in 1992 and it’s hard to believe that thirty years later the band still sounds as raw and vital as ever. Their first album for Sub Pop, 2022’s When the Wind Forgets Your Name, is filled with the kind of raggedly glorious indie rock they’ve been reliably producing since the very start, a loose and inviting, deeply emotional approach bolstered by Martsch’s overdriven guitars, warped melancholy melodies, and keening, heart-tuggingly honest vocals. Working with a Brazilian rhythm section of Le Almeida and João Casaes of the band Oruã, Martsch delivers the expected BTS goods with a little extra verve and attention to sonic detail. Keyboard overdubs, darkly psychedelic layers of sound, little pockets of dub, and the occasional bit of tambourine help give a batch of hooky, thoughtful, and weirdly uplifting songs an extra boost. It may be a small alteration, but for a band whose style is so established, it’s almost shocking at times. Almeida and Casaes prove to be one of the more flexible and adventurous backing bands Martsch has played with; their nimbly supportive backing seems to have inspired him to take the band into new areas. A song like “Elements” is a good example of the subtle shift that’s taken place. The rolling drum fills and wandering bass leave Martsch free to add organ solos, sound effects, dub echo and submerged vocals until he hits on an expanded version of the BTS sound that is true to its roots but exploring new ground. It’s a dynamic that plays out across the entire album and informs most of the songs. Martsch pairs this expanded musical approach with a particularly good batch of melodies and lyrics. He may not be the awkward soul reaching for love and security he was in the early days; now he’s more of a seasoned traveler with some wisdom to impart and that style is a natural fit. He can come across like a friend giving some good advice (“Fools Gold,”) a drinking buddy who’s ready to delve into some philosophical truths (“rocksteady,”) or the thoughtful rocker he’s always been (“Comes a Day”) and it all sounds right. Martsch has evolved into a survivor; while others may have flashed early and burned out, he’s kept plugging away and with When the Wind Forgets Your Name he and Built to Spill have delivered a late career stunner that easily equals their best work.

~Tim Sendra {AllMusic Guide]

5 Likes

I think best description is symphonic pop metal :grin:

1 Like

Very good from this ex Spooky Tooth member.

4 Likes

Posted this in the Metal thread last night, but just played it in the car driving to get my son from the airport.

2 Likes

I think that will require me to create a new genre in Roon :rofl:

1 Like

I just left it at Symphonic Metal…for now😁

1 Like

4 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

This one is really growing on me, Zakk is on excellent form throughout.
Second spin today :grin:

7 Likes

4 Likes

Have to agree. A good listen this morning and will get a few more this week.

1 Like

The album covers in this thread are much more interesting and an integral part of the product it seems; certainly compared to the general thread covers

There must be an understanding that production costs include a good artist and a stylish cover.

1 Like

The dreaded drive took 6 hours 45, the first 70 miles took over 2 hours :confounded:

2 Likes

Ozzy and Zakk hosted a show on Sirius going through all of the songs yesterday, good listen if you have access to Sirius.

1 Like