What's the best under $100 investment you've made in Hifi

Well, today make it Modi 3+ and Magni Heresy (headphone amp)! :slight_smile:

And Aiyima A07 TRA3255-based amazing speaker amp for $70!

1 Like

It was just under $100

18 Likes

When I was 16 I bought a pair of JBL 4301 speakers secondhand for $100, they were an absolute bargain and my first purchase of real quality gear. That was over 40 yrs ago.

Two of these drop in Edcor Transformers for PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. Les than 75 Dollars including shipping. Makes DAC perform at a 15K performance level.

The shipping for a Schiit Modi Multibit…

haha

Large/deep Brainwavz replacement earpads for my Meze99 Classic headphones plus an Ifi Groundhog.

GKern has the right idea: $100 will buy a calibrated microphone so that free REW software can capture your particular room acoustics. -And Thierry at HAF completes the project beautifully for very few Euro and no intimidation.

I just implemented another great use of Roon’s convolution engine: custom correction for just about any headphone from the AutoEq project at Github. This donationware site even has the measurements (and equilization) for an old “orthodynamic” pair I pulled out of storage after what I heard their filters could do for my Oppo PM-2 cans.

They have never sounded so good as they do today.

2 Likes

Hi, never heard about this solution. Could you post more details/explanation, how you used it? Thx, Michael

1 Like

Until you push too hard :smiling_imp:

1. umik-1
  2. rpi4
  3. EZY DOSE Ear Wax Cleaner for Humans, Clear
1 Like

First month of subscription to streaming services and Roon.

This is the guide I’ve seen it mentioned, the whole thing is good but the mirror bit is around the 4:30 minute point

Loudspeaker placement short - YouTube

See @sbr 's response. Have fun! Protip: If you find a reflection point at a door, just open the door. If they are on the wall, consider these https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-244-bass-trap-flexrange-technology/ (but now you are over $100 if you buy >1).

Thx so much! A really great video!

The other bargain Hifi pro tip related to room reflections is putting a pillow behind your head.

Wife wouldn’t abide bass traps, but she does like a throw cushion, so they go up durning listening and then back down again. Also if I just slouch the sofa is behind my head anyway.

And yes I know I’m too close to the back wall.

1 Like

Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 14.11.26

A member recommended this. Never looked back.

1 Like

Guessing its out of print, or just not available in Canada but doesn’t look like the best value for many any more.

I don’t know the book, but you can find it here at a more reasonable price https://www.getbettersound.com/store

1 Like

I may be entirely mistaken but I have some recollection of reading about this book and seeing that it delved into a little too much woo woo for my liking which lead me to reading Toole’s “Sound Reproduction” instead.

Not to be a suck-up, but my $4-for-4-months Roon subscription started me down a rabbit hole I haven’t fully escaped (nor do I want to).

2 Likes