What's the best under $100 investment you've made in Hifi

I just got a little usb → toslink/spdif device “Douk Audio”, its built on a XMOS XU208**, so I can connect my Mac via USB->Coax to an ageing audiolab DAC at 24/192 instead of its native 24/96 (via USB) and it cost $40.

Couldn’t be happier with the results, and it made me wonder what other “bargains” exist in Hifi that others have come across.

Pi as a streamer is also top on this list vs an expensive streamer but it does require a modicum of know how, this device was simply plug/play.

** This is the same usb chip used in the latest/greatest DAC’s.

Without question, three Raspberry Pi 4’s running RoPieeeXL.

8 Likes

A full length mirror to locate the first reflection points in my room.

6 Likes

UMIK-1

10 chars

3 Likes

Does it have to be full length? I have seen that guide, keep meaning to actually give it a go.

Totally. Everyone should do room correction, guess it can be a little intimidating.

No, a small mirror will do nicely if you have someone willing to stand against your side walls holding a mirror while you bark instructions “forward” and “back” :rofl: My wife quickly lost patience with my nonsense, thus a mirror I could slide across the wall and see from my listening chairs.

5 Likes

Up until now I got a Grimm rca/rca cable going from my DAC to my amp… €63,- and it was just shocking… I know cables can be considered snake oil but this made a lot of difference!
And I’m also looking into room correction. Bit hard to find good info on correction.

750ml Wild Turkey 101.

(In younger days the answer would have been a lot different.)

7 Likes

Chromecast Audio - Using as a roon endpoint in to my chord mojo.

I am actually considering a Poly now so I can have more portability.

4 Likes

I don’t agree with everything but Magnus has done a great guide which is how I started

1 Like

I bought 7 CDs (with music, of course!)

8 Likes

But seriously, probably the ~$100 I spent refurbing a pair of original Large Advents for a bonus room setup.

Schiit Audio Modi 3 DAC ($99) and Magni 3 amp ($99), for my desktop system.

1 Like

Raspberry Pi 4 and AudioQuest JitterBug.

Balanced Oidio pentacon cable for my Hifiman Sundara’s. Just over the limit, but worth more than that. Look amazing as well

Mike

dbPoweramp to rip all my CDs. :+1:

4 Likes

A green marker to color CD edges (back in the days when I listened to CDs).

1 Like

Q-Tips Keep your ears clean and everything sounds better!

6 Likes