What's the best under $100 investment you've made in Hifi

a visit to the ear doctor from time to time

@sbr my first DAC and headphone amp were 99$ Schiit Magni/Modi and they are still 99$ each and very much upgraded made in USA as they should be unless they are now made in Texas which is a whole other matter except the Schiit boys aren’t dumb no state income tax in Texas whereas California is worse than Mass

This $10 tube puller (which I actually really love): New Vacuum Tube Puller - Inserter For 7 8 9 Pin Tubes Extractor Repair Radio Amp | eBay

Or $12 monoprice balanced XLR cables to connect my Gungnir MB with my Mjolnir 2:

Or a pair of RCA 12AU7A organ clear-tops from Brent Jesse for I think $40.

But I don’t buy many sub-$100 items any more, sadly.

Must absolutely second the point about Schiit’s $99 each DAC and headphone amp. Though I’ve moved upstream, these items were how I found my way back in to audio. If I were going to give a $200 gift to a kid I thought might someday really enjoy music, I’d give her/him a Schiit Stack in a second.

3 Likes

Audioquest RCA tower bridge for my Node 2i

Thanks for this guide! I’ll look into it.
Always fun to tinker…

About 30+ years ago I got myself a Suzuki Vitara and installed more hifi gear in the car than the actual price of the car. One of the things I found that were about $100 each were “directionally wound RCA cables”. I used those between all of the components.

Did it make any difference? … probably not ;(

Great thread (so much so it has got my first ever post!). I would say mine would be the DigiOne raspberry pi board from Allo. Stuck RopieeXl on the pi and use it as a roon / Spotify endpoint. Sound much better than what I had before.

1 Like

Glad it it got you on board Daniel, your comment made me think about my other favourite threads that you might be missing out on and so I started this meta thread that hopefully will grow as I am sure there is lots else going on I have missed.

1 Like

My absolutely best investment were my two Solid-Run CuBox for about 100€ both together used. I use them as roon endpoints for my living room and for my bedroom.
Never had any problems… :heart_eyes:

Raspberry Pi 4 running Ropieee.

4 Likes

Koss Porta Pro.
Splurge a little if you want to take phone calls with them as they make a version with a mic now.

How did those pads affect the sound signature?

Do they fit properly?

Sonic Design damping feet are a great budget buy to place under components.
I use them between my Turntable isolation platform and wall shelf and also under a pair of floorstanders in the family room.

Something that just arrived today which Im very happy with so far for build & sound quality is a balanced pentaconn cable for my HifiMan Ananda. Gives them a little more grunt whilst laying nicely tangle free on my desk. Bought from Custom Cans in the UK. Took around 20 days from order - build & test - shipped to Scandinavia. Will look to them for another cable when I purchase some new closed backs in a couple of months.
Nice :ok_hand:

In line with how to save money in Hifi, if you’ve been wondering about upgrading your cables or your switch. Do yourself a favour and watch these.

And

3 Likes

They did, actually, Changing the pad for an asymetric model made the headphones sound more in balance, less emphasis on bass.

1 Like

Good to know. Cheers.

Disco anti stat record cleaner I think it’s called, did a great job on my vinyl. Alcohol does the same job to digital.

There is an Audiophiliac episode where he’s at an audiophile meet-up and talking to people about their systems. One guy says, paraphrasing here, I don’t have a system. I sold everything and bought season tickets to the symphony. It’s never sounded better.

If I lived closer to a venue I might do the same.

4 Likes

Koss KSC-75 with Yaxi Pads, wish I’d found these earlier, would have saved me a fortune. Combined with the convulsion filter from autoeq, I’m amazed how good these sound for (including pads) £35 or so.

A £15 blanket to throw over a wooden table covered in kids’ plastic toys located in front of one speaker - I’m convinced it improves the detail of the soundstage…but maybe it just removes the distraction and makes me feel better :smiley:

2 Likes