What's the best way to utilise a Chord Mojo with Roon?

Hi,

I have a Chord Mojo and according to Chord’s website the Mojo is “Roon Ready”, I’m guessing it’s not until the Poly comes along?

Anyhow, what’s the best way to utilise a Chord Mojo with Roon? Is it to plug it into my Windows PC over USB where I run the interface software and therefore it will be listed?

I run the Roon core on my Qnap NAS (Linux), could I plug the Mojo into the NAS over USB and use it off the core?

Lastly, I also have a Nvidia Shield, could I plug the mojo into that over USB and use it that way?

Thanks

I would use the Windows PC.

1 Like

And i would definently get meself a NanoPi NEO or similar and connect the Mojo to the USB port!
I use that combo myself and am very pleased!

2 Likes

Ah that’s good idea! I bought my Mojo and hardly ever use it, was pondering selling it.

But if I can utilise it with Roon then could be worth keeping.

I assume the NaoPi NEO is fully RoonReady (RAAT)?

Thanks

Yes, load it up with DietPi and Roon Bridge and you’re set!
All for less than a 10’er!

1 Like

I have a Chord Mojo, and a RPi running DietPi, but Roon’s not picking this up as a system when I’m doing USB out from the Pi into the Chord.
Seems like the Mojo isn’t being picked up as a USB DAC either by Roon by DietPi.
With a Micro iDSD in instead of the Mojo, Roon instantly sees a valid system output.
Are you using a different input, Mikael?
thx, Steve

Hi Steve,
i am using the Mojo with all sorts of Pi’s and it works very well (besides DSD and extreme sampling frequencys) over USB.
You sure the Roon Bridge is installed (from dietpi-software, Optimized) and running properly? (Suppose it is as you can see the iDSD)
To make sure the Mojo is recognised by DietPi you could enter the DietPi install with an SSH client (Such as MacOs’s Terminal app) and issue the command
aplay -l
You should see your Mojo at the very top of the list!
It’s not as simple as having attached the micro USB to the charge port of the Mojo? I have done that a few times! :joy:

thanks Mikael - I’ll check it out in ssh.
Roonbridge is installed. I’m using my pi in roon as we speak, just using my other dac via usb at the moment :slight_smile:
the mojo is great. I just got it a few weeks back but I’ve only been using it on the go with my headphones and I figured I’d try it line out in my system.

-Steve

A very timely post. I have just purchased my first Pi with Allo Digi One, with the intention of feeding the Mojo via the co-ax input. I put it together today and may get time tomorrow to load up Diet-Pi with Roon bridge and see what happens… Will report back.

Mikael - is your Dietpi soundcard on USB-DAC when you’re using your Mojo? I assume it has to be if you’re using the USB out on the Pi.

For me when I only have the Mojo connected :
root@DietPi:~#aplay -l
aplay: device _list:268: no soundcards found…

when I add the ifi back in to one of the usb ports:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: Audio [iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I’m wondering if this is a cord issue with the Mojo. It can be a little finicky. yes it’s plugged into the correct miniusb haha.

Tony, I’ve been reading about the Allo. I may eventually get an Eitr USB/SPDIF so I can go back to coax since I have a number of Coax dacs lying around here.
It’s always fun to experiment around.

-Steve

Hi Anthony,

What cable are you using to go into the mojo? I’m struggling to find a bnc or coax into 3.5.

Thanks

It doesn’t seem to matter? I have a few Pi’s and even when i have selected the current HAT, such as an Audiophonics Sabre v3 or Hifiberry Digi+ Pro in dietpi-config, the Mojo is directly visible in Roon audio setup?
And for info, this is what my aplay -l looks like with a Mojo attached, and a Sabreberry HAT selected inDietpi-Config:

root@DietPi:~# aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 []
      Subdevices: 0/1
    card 1: Mojo [Mojo], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
      Subdevices: 1/1
    root@DietPi:~# 

I can only suspect your cable or Mojo is defect? Can you attach it to your computer and get it recognized?

I use one of these:
IMG_0778

Atb Micke

1 Like

Hi Dan,
Yes you can get adapters as shown above or you can commonly buy a cable. These are sold to connect MP3 players/iPods etc to your hifi. There will be a stereo 3.5mm plug on one end but you will need to use the left phono plug to get the correct connection to the tip and earthy end of the jack plug.

Diet Pi is flashed to the SD card but haven’t had time to plug anything in today.

Thanks both

Does the whole 75 ohms thing not come into it?

75ohm cables are not important for short runs. I use a 10cm RCA audio cable between the output on my Hifiberry Digi + and the coax input on my Mojo. The mojo end of the cable has a 3.5 mm plug. Works great. Sounds great.

2 Likes

Just found the time this weekend to get my Mojo workin’. First time Pi user with Allo Digi-One. The Pi set up could have been smoother if the instructions on the Allo website hadn’t missed out a vital step, but I got there in the end. One thing to watch out for; the output voltage of the Mojo is nearly 3V at max/line out volume. This is too high for many amplifiers that expect 2V. My AV amp was clearly clipping at this line out level volume so I turned the Mojo output down. Four clicks I believe takes it down to 1.9V output from max. Roon detected the Pi with no problems.

1 Like

cool, Tony. How are you liking it ?
and the Allo – that allows you coax out to coax in for the mojo?

-Steve