When will Nucleus v2 be available?

If you talking about migration, yes – just do a backup/restore. If you are talking about us taking back your old gear, there is no such program.

!!!

It does not – it’s a very minor update.

However, it was a conscious part of our design to exclude the LED on the front. I can’t fathom why anyone would want another useless LED that never turns off. Can you tell me why you desire the LED? Do you ever turn off your unit?

3 Likes

My Nucleus+ is in a rack. The power button on back is not very accessible. I can just reach my hand behind it while it is in the rack and get to it. I’ve had situations where I’ve had to turn the power on and off – I upgraded the USB cable that connects to my AV receiver (I use a direct connect for 5.1 tracks); I added a LPS; I had a power outage and am not sure if it came back on or not, etc, etc. Since I can’t see the light in the back I’m never sure which state it’s in and have to go back to the web interface to see if it is up or not. It’s quite annoying. Every other piece of audio equipment in my racks (and I have lots of them) has a front LED and I can tell if they are on or off. It doesn’t have to be big and doesn’t have to be bright but I would not say front LEDs are useless IMHO and for me the power light in the back is useless.

If its that important to you, why not plug as USB powered LED lamp into one of the USB ports?

Kind of kludgy to spend 2k+ for a nucleus+ and then have to do this but it’s at least a possible band aid. Thanks!

Ok, thanks. How about if you some day release a new linear PSU for the Nucleus - does the PSU’s casing match with the new or old design of the Nucleus?

See the following post:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Nucleus + Plex setup

I ordered a Nucleus + on August 2nd. About a week ago, I was told I was caught in the transition/production teething period moving from China to the U.S. I don’t know where in the queue I am, but the dealer said they should have the unit by the end of next week (the end of August). I am in the U.S.

Watching this thread, I am glad to be getting the new device, especially with the opportunity to have a larger SSD. It may change where I store my music.

There is “no” physically larger SSD – this is purely for 15mm spinning hard drives (HDD).

If an SSD exists at a height of 15mm, it is an outlier you probably don’t want. Most are 7mm.

@danny I was not clear. By larger I meant storage capacity greater than 4 TB. In another thread on this site, I think you gave the OK to some SSDs that are a bit over 7TB. The reason this matters is that I think I can hold my entire collection, including all my CDs, once rip them, for some time. With this approach, I will not have to stream from my iMac via a shared drive. Make sense?

Right now (August 2019), in 2.5" form factor, there are a few 4tb SSDs at 7mm tall. There is a single 2.5" 5tb Seagate that is 15mm tall. Anything bigger is fake or weird. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I will stick with 4TB that will hold me for a bit. I am still going to go internal SSD (what we have been talking about) because my impression is that it will be better sonically (perhaps only marginally so).

Or enterprise. In which case it’s not fake or weird, but stupid expensive.

Can you explain why you prefer to have your music on an SSD in the Nucleus device?

I have my music on a SSD in my Nucleus. Why? 1) One less box in my AV cabinet. 2)No moving parts for better sound. 3) Simple.

1 Like

What do you mean one less box? I mean putting a conventional disc inside the Nucleus.I understand point 2 (though not sure if its audible), and its 1 I dont understand?

If I didn’t have my music on a SSD, I’d either have a USB drive connected to the Nucleus or a network attached device on the network. In those cases, those are extra boxes that I don’t need if I put a SSD in the Nucleus.

1 Like

I know Roon can not take a position about which brand SSD to use, but I would appreciate comments from others. After reading Roon documentation, these pages, and some product reviews, it seems like a Samsung SSD 860 EVO, meets the requirements of size. Any thoughts?

oh we can do that… :slight_smile:

the Samsung EVO 860 is great

4 Likes

Thanks very much. I will order one today.

There are several strings on this site on what I have below. If there is a better one and you want me to move this, just let me know:

Since this will be a write once drive and I will incrementally copy files from my iMac to it as I acquire them, I don’t need to back it up. But…

The issue will be CDs I rip to the SSD. I was told ripped CDs to a Nucleus only work from disks (internal SATA or usb) tied to the nucleus. There was some ambiguity about whether being able to write from the Nucleus to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) disks on Macs applied for internal SATA disks. If this issue is only for USB disks and not for the internal SATA disk, and I copy the files to my iMac could I restore them in the event of the SSD failure — without having to change the file system format of the iMac SSD. Correct?