Where can I find directions for connecting Roon on my PC to Denon amp via wifi?

I am a newbie here so looking for some basic guidance from folks on where I can locate information on how I can connect my Roon on Windows PC to my Denon amp using wifi. Suggestions welcome - I tried a few searches and scrolling through topics, but didn’t see anything that was immediately obvious.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Which Denon amp?

Basically, you would make sure Airplay and/or Chromecast is turned on at the amp and can be seen on the same network as your PC. Then you would go into Roon, Settings/Audio, if either is seen as active, Roon will display them. You would first Enable it under Settings/Audio, and then you would select it as the output of choice.

Seems like a lot of steps, but, really once you’ve done it once, it’s only a few seconds.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply and help!

I have the Denon - DRA-800H 2-Channel Stereo Network Receiver for Home Theater. I just set up Heos app on my phone and am able to play music from my phone on the amp via wifi so I anticipate that the steps you outline to setup should work. I will try this out shortly…

Mark

Roon should allow you to stream to the Denon using Airplay.
If you want to leverage hi-res capabilities of the Denon, you might want to have a look at the RHEOS Extension, but this will require some tinkering.

1 Like

When I access Roon, Settings, Audio from my Windows PC, I see my Denon amp listed under roon tested. However, there is no Enable button displayed. When I click on the settings icon and select Device setup, I get a dialog box but am unable to save any settings.

When I open File Explorer and select Network it displays the Denon amp under Media Devices so the PC can see it.

I have tried to set up the Heos app on my Android phone where I go to Music Sources, select Network Shares, add a share, select the Denon amp, and then enter the path on my PC. Unfortunately, that does not seem to work. I have checked the folder where music is located and I have read/write privileges.

Not sure that I can install AirPlay on my Android. Does Google Home function the same as Chromecast?

Thanks again to all for the help!

The fact that you can go to the device setup would suggest it is already enabled. Does the device have a grey background?

Just to be sure: Did you actually change a setting? The Save button is not enabled until you make an actually change.

Yes, the device has a grey background.

I did not change a setting.

Can you post a screen pic

Here are a pair of pictures. I made some progress and will outline what actions I performed in next reply.

Here are a few actions I took that made some progress, although I am still unable to share my PC folder in Heos. On the positive side, I am now able to view the music on my PC from the Roon app on my Android phone.

1. Enable DLNA Media Server in Windows

• Open Control Panel
    • Search for “media”
    • Select “media streaming options” under Network and Sharing Center
    • Select “Turn on media streaming”
  2. Enable the SMB1 share protocol

• Search for “Windows features”
    • Scroll down to “SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support”
    • Select the checkbox
  3. Go to Settings, System, Nearby Sharing, and select the “My Devices Only” option

I have some more research and testing to do, but will be out the next day and a half. I will provide more updates after returning and continuing the adventure…

You already have it enabled to use Airplay looking at your screen grab. Choose it as the destination to play and control in the zone picker of the Roon remote app it will be the one called Marks Denon…

Your first Pic is your Settings Audio and it shows the Denon as seen and active. As mentioned by Crystal you should be able to just open the roon app on your PC and select it as an output like so…

Clicking the Icon I circled in the pic above will bring up the Endpoint/Zone chooser. This will have listed all the Enabled Endpoints for you to choose to play to.

Your second screen indicates ARC which has nothing to do with playback in your home or to your Denon amp. Arc is only for external mobile playback to your phone. Getting help to get that setup and working, you should post in the Support / Port Forwarding section with the same pic.

For Roon control in your home you should have installed Roon Remote (not ARC).

2 Likes

Thanks! I was able to get it working :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the additional details. I was able to select the Denon receiver from my Roon app as described and I can play music from my Android to the Denon. What was a little confusing is that I thought I would need to select AirPlay someplace; however, simply having the Denon set to Heos did the trick.

On a side note, I was able to share the Music folder from my PC to the Heos app on my phone. The weird thing about that is that it only shows the music files that are on my laptop’s hard drive. I had set up my Music library folder to share my full music collection which is on an external solid state drive. On the PC, I see everything on the SSD in the Music library folder, but not in Heos. That doesn’t matter for me now that the Roon app is working since that is way more powerful.

1 Like