Who has a turntable in their setup?

Linn LP12: Nagaoka MP200, Kore, Circus, Akito, Trampoline, Lingo.
Love it! Sweet analogue sound. My dCS Debussy comes close.

2 Likes

@woodford

I noticed in the first photo of your beautiful turntables that you have a vinyl copy of the new Yola recording and this brings up an important question/concern about new vinyl of both new recordings and reissues of older recordings.

That question/concern is are any of these new LPs completely analog? In other words, is/are there step(s) where the analog signal has been concerned into digial and then back to analog? So in the case of a new recording, was it recorded digitally? In the case of a reissue, were the analog master tapes used to make the pressing master?

If the answer to either of these questions is YES, then what is the point of new (not truly analog) vinyl? It seems to me that with a new (not truly analog) vinyl one is getting the worst of both worlds - digital sound (if one hates digital) and analog playback issues (wow & flutter, surface noise, pops & clicks).

1 Like

When I emigrated to South Africa my 1000 (15 meters) of vinyl was a casualty , I swapped my Linn LP12 for. Linn Karik CD player

Now totally digital since 2013 , stream from Tidal (occasionally)

No clicks and pops — no regrets maybe a philistine but …

I don’t understand this conversion? What are the units? :thinking:

The shelf of stacked. End on LPs was 15 m wide !!

1 Like

Now I know why I didn’t understand the conversion. The picture below shows part of my vinyl collection in their metal milk crates (the BEST vinyl storage system, ever!). Each crate holds about 70 records and the three crates across measures about one meter and there are 70 X 3 = 210 records. So 1000 records would be approximately 5 meters across (210 X 5 = 1050), not 15 meters. 15 meters would be just over 3000 LPs. So either you had many more LPs than you remembered or only 5 meters of shelf space.

By the way, all the LPs shown in the picture are jazz and all of them are pure, 100% analog - no digital masters. Some original pressings and some (analog) reissues and later pressings. I only wish I owned original Blue Note and Impulse pressings but I was little too young to be buying Herbie Hancock and John Coltrane records when they were first released, although a lot of my electric Miles Davis records are original first issue pressings. I first starting collecting jazz LPs in the early 1970s.

11 Likes

I know Rega recordings are pure analog should you buy their albums. Roy won’t even have an LED indicator in the chain. Otherwise you need to buy originals from charity shops etc.

Well then Rega must have their own all analog recording studio and mastering facility. I believe that most, if not all, modern recording studios use at least some digital during the recording and mastering process. Good to know that all analog recording studios still exist!

They do. When they recorded Stephen Fearing live in House they did it in one take for vocals and guitar with a screen separating the mic from the guitar mics. (My mate Gary constructed this)
For the digital download, Roy was not happy with any of the ADC’s he had from the master tape and in the finish, his man in Canada used a digital file from the vinyl via a great Rega deck (I imagine)

I bought the Album at the next gig he played for Rega and have the 24/96 download in Roon.

Vinyl Transcription Ray Staff

The sadly disbanded Katzenjammer did a straight to vinyl recording.

One take for the whole album, so you can hear the band between songs.

Put last century, but it was only two months ago that I traded in my LP12 for Katalyst upgrade to my Exaktboxes (all the vinyl was needle dropped over the past couple of years so I can still listen to it).

About 75% of my at home listening is via my turntable. I’m in London presently (from CA), and have already been on “record safari” here. :slightly_smiling_face:

Similar to the direct to disc recordings from back in vinyl’s heyday.

Just one of several holy grails from those days, test pressings being another.

1 Like

Yes. I go back-and-forth. I just bought a new streamer, so I’m playing that to death and ignoring my vinyl.

I have a Rega RP3 w/ their phono pre-amp and power/speed controller. It’s connected to my head-fi setup for listening and recording tapes on my Nakamichi 582 (but that’s another poll :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

I got rid of my turntable and vinyl in the late 80’s after I became a digital devotee (I got my first CD player in '86). Fast forward 30 years and I had accumulated a large CD collection, all nicely ripped and stored on my network for easy access. Earlier this year I picked up a used Pro-ject Debut III on eBay to use in my home office setup. I told my wife I’d probably only get a handful of records since vinyl wasn’t as good or convenient as my digital music. Now I’ve just upgraded to a Rega Planar 6 and have several hundred LPs, I guess vinyl isn’t so inferior or inconvenient after all :slight_smile:.

8 Likes

Hey Ralph,

i honestly don’t really think about those things. i enjoy great music and good sound, and there are some recordings i prefer to own rather than rent. Digital recording has been around since the late '70s, and i assume that 90% of music released since the dawn of the CD era, has been through a digital stage at some point.

I also enjoy physical media, and watching the record spin and tonearm track across the groves. in fact, one of the things i prefer about the P3 vs the Avid is the former doesn’t require a record weight, so i can see the lovely yellow (and other colors) labels.

lastly, when someone releases a record that i know i will listen to over and over (like Yola), i want to support that artists as best I can, and will happily but the vinyl, even if its available via high res streaming.

i only wish more artists would release vinyl w/ an included FLAC download, rather than MP3 which is usually the case.

2 Likes

I generally stick to records from the 50’s through the early 80’s to avoid this. For new remasters I always check to see that they were made from the analog sources. My view is if it was converted to digital at any point then I might as well just get a digital copy. IMHO, mastering an LP from a digital source seems to defeat the purpose, though people will argue that point I’m sure :slight_smile:.

I understand your point and I did not mean it as a criticism. As long as you’re not being an analog snob, which would be rather hard to be since you are an avid Roon user :grin:

I see that you get my point, since so much of the current vinyl craze is being driven by analog snobs who fail to understand that with a digitally recorded and mastered new LP one is getting the worst of both worlds - digital sound along with analog artifacts.

Not at all!
I’ve just upgraded my aged Linn LP12 to Cirkus/Radikal/Keel/Ekos/Adikt/1, all fed into a Linn Uphorik phono stage.
Surprisingly, it sounds as satisfying as my digital sources.
Vinyl still has a long way to go!

I have a turntable in both of my systems. This past year’s New Years resolution was to get my digital side of things ironed out. Mission accomplished! I am due for a good weeding out, as I still have a couple hundred LPs I haven’t even cleaned to play yet and need the room. But the nice thing about LPs for me is that they don’t get lonely, jealous, upset, or anxious if I don’t play them. They are always there when I want them and have been since I started collecting thirty years ago, so I am in no hurry to get rid of them. I am just really grooving on the digital side of things, and the price is certainly right for digital at the moment.

2 Likes