Who has a turntable in their setup?

Got my metric and imperial mixed up it was 16 ft 5 meters which ties in with your numbers

I was a bit handier with chipboard and circular saw in those days :roll_eyes:

When the Removal Estimates came back we were a bit over a 20 ft container so we had to trim

When was the last time you listened, when was the last time you used it etc

Alas

I had a 582 and a CR7E in the past and the sloping backwards 600 too

Wonderful machines

1 Like

I don’t think it’s valid to make that generalisation. Playback equipment, mastering and tastes vary considerably. I have often heard the vinyl version of a recent album sounding better than the equivalent CD/digital. There are no hard and fast rules here - both vinyl and digital can sound amazing - you pays your money and takes your choice.

2 Likes

I agree that when you do get to a certain level of playback performance in both analogue and digital, it does come down to taste.
Technically, vinyl can’t ‘hold a candle’ to digital, but playing vinyl can be as equally satisfying as digital, if you have decent playback equipment.
Listening to vinyl still brings a big smile to my face :grinning:

2 Likes

Perhaps the difference in sound quality between a new, made from digital vinyl and the CD counterpart comes down to dynamic range compression and the good old loudness war. Often the vinyl has better dynamic range than the CD, even though digital is capable of greater dynamic range. Kind of ironic.

2 Likes

This last fall I splurged and replaced my old ailing rig with a new Pro-Ject Xtension 9 Evo with an Ortofon Quintet Bronze into a Graham Slee Elevator EXP coupled to a Reflex M pre. After adding all the setup gizmos, I dropped around $6k. I still don’t have the geometry quite dialed in (this is the first time I’ve had to deal with azimuth), but the sound is already great. Now all I need is a new record cleaning machine…

I have a Linn LP12 and about 2500 albums. Kept my rock albums from the 70s/80s and have added lots of jazz. Inherited classical albums from my dad and now collect RCA Living Stereos and Mercury Living Presence.

Wish Roon had capability to track LPs using its album database - that would let me do a search inclusive of my digital recordings as well as my LPs so I’d know if I have “Kind of Blue” on LP as well as digital copies I own. BTW, right now not using any streaming services.

1 Like

Create an LP tag and add the albums to it. When you look at the album you can see the tag.

6 Likes

Not the prettiest but an LP12 with Kore and Trampolin 2
Ittok LVII
Class A rebuilt Lingo
Linn Uphorik phono stage

And then
A choice of
Koetsu Rosewood Sig
Supex SD900
Linn Troika

So still a vinyl addict but Roon has always been and will remain my digital source feed.

1 Like

That would definitely be nice, the Roon metadata support for classical would be great for LPs. I’m currently using Discogs to track my LPs, but this is fairly limited. I’ve looked at Music Collector (from Collectorz) and they support all kinds of things that would be nice, but it doesn’t appear that their metadata sources will populate the type of data that would would match the classical capabilities in Roon.

I still have a Rega Planar 3 which has not been connected for years. But my vinyl is a major untapped resource, repertoire-wise, and I’m planning a new turntable, probably from Clearaudio.

Last century, but to be honest it wasn’t really a turntable it was a cheap record player, as a kid well before I got into (or could afford) decent hifi.

Constantly consider getting one, but just don’t have the space/lifestyle for it or the recordings.

For me it’s nothing to do with the sound and everything to do with the physical interaction, even the smell, perhaps just pure nostalgia.

I kept all of my records dating back to my childhood. I thought as a bit of nostalgia, I would buy an affordable rega turntable. I spent an afternoon just playing old records. I became completely hooked. When I upgraded to a new turntable, I realised that the sound was reminiscent of the clubs and dives of a very miss-spent youth. It was like being reunited with an old friend. I love the versatility and dynamics of advancing technologies, but there is something very rewarding about playing a record.

3 Likes

I have gotten back into vinyl over the past three years. I had aborted vinyl since back in 1987 when I started collecting cds. I have recently also started streaming and began using Roon since October of 2019 for the one year subscription. The Roon program is pretty cool, but way too expensive and now even more so with the increased lifetime price.

Roon do not want people to buy lifetime anymore as it doesn’t help them build an income stream for future financial stability. Think of like like Netflix, Tidal etc… The upside is, they have to work hard to keep subscribers happy and subscribing. It’s evolving…

1 Like

I love vinyl and love the sound of vinyl. I started out with vinyl. That is not what we called them…we called them “records” or “record albums” or “albums”. The 7" records we called “45s”. I experienced some of the best moments of my life listening to vinyl records.

But I don’t love vinyl enough to deal with the cost, all the rituals, and the Rice Crispy noises. I’ll take well mastered CD, SCADs, and digital downloads over vinyl every day and twice on Sunday. I want listen to music not spend all day trying to listen to music. I own no vinyl and no turntables…

1 Like

!
Burning in the Nordost Reference tonearm wiring of my VPI 3D printed arm wand with the VIDAR.
20181115_144943|281x500
Thorens TD-124 on bamboo plinth.

7 Likes

What could possibly go wrong…

This pic was posted by Warner Archive on Facebook.

6 Likes

Technics 1200 mk 4 (picked up when an expat in Japan), with an Ortofon 2M black. It’s glorious.

1 Like

A true vinyl lover would easily be able to identify the music from that picture. Kind of looks like a Bowie track to me but he was on RCA not Warner. :rofl:

4 Likes