Why are so many Classical album cover so dire?

I always liked this cover from my dads old record collection

2 Likes

One for the ages. The album the great Arthur Fiedler chose to bow out with. Digitally remastered as well.

fiedler

Treat yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZB4jyUphfc

1 Like

This one is just a little creepy.

1 Like

That Julian Bream one is great!

1 Like

I laughed out loud when I saw this thread! Could not agree more. My solution was to use a generic cover image for mine:
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 09.24.15

1 Like

The thing about pop covers is the artist almost always has creative input, so if it’s bad at least it was the artist’s decision. Classical covers are created by the labels, so when they butcher them as they all too often do it’s a particular injustice that’s been done to the composer and the performer(s).

1 Like

Somewhere there’s a Flash Gordon soundtrack with Jupiter on the cover.

That has made me so pleased I posted my thoughts :joy:

1 Like

Bit like Electric Ladyland :heart_eyes:

7 posts were split to a new topic: Worst Album Covers (any genre)

Dire? The first example shown is certainly an attractive cover. Other covers not shown often show interesting art work. And, others show pictures of the artists, while perhaps not young and pretty it is good to see a face to the music.

If the cover is supposed to give us some rough idea of the contents (and entice us to purchase), I can’t think of a company that does a better job than Chandos. Their modern covers seem to always be both attractive and roughly representative.

It’s not in the classical world, but to me, Radiohead albums (after Pablo Honey) do an incredible job of representing the sonic/emotional space of the contents of their albums. I don’t find their covers attractive, but I think they are stellar in terms of matching their album’s contents.

1 Like

One of a series of DIRE covers for Naive’s Vivaldi Edition

Be bored by the full set

https://vivaldiedition.eu/

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

They are quite strange, aren’t they?

Fascinating as a retired photographer, the guy who shot these had fun a Denis Rouvre ??

Just came across this one , particularly tasteful

2 Likes

Ok, this is not a cover - but I was truly flabberghasted by this picture in the Netrebko / Eyvazov album “Romanza”

Was this picture taken before or after Netrebko… Well by the look on his face, whatever she did, did not seem to please him. :grinning:

3 Likes

What is he doing to her here?

1 Like

I think the word is Goosed :joy:

1 Like

I saw this thread and was about to post, but you beat me to it.

Grotesque gargoyle or what? And yet it’s the most sublime lute music. Sublime full stop, not just for classical listeners.

I’m listening to it now, on Sunday morning. Contemplating my father who is slowly slipping away from this world. The music makes a good companion to my thoughts.

3 Likes