Why did Roon spontaneously revert itself from Roon 2.0 to 1.8? [Fixed: Update Server Error, Update To v2.0 Using Migration FAQ]

:mega: Staff Post :mega:

Roon Core Machine

I’ve been happily using Roon 2.0 for several days, controlling my Nucleus from my Android phone and Kindle Fire tablet. Everything is going well. Getting ready to update my old laptop from Windows 8.1 to 10 so that it can again be used.

Today, for no clear reason, my Nucleus is suddenly back to 1.8. And so now my phone and tablet don’t work but my laptop does. What the heck? Any idea what happened, folks?

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Read a few posts on this issue already. I don’t have an answer but I do have a question. Was the update process set to automatic or notification only?

Automatic. And it did automatically update to 2.0 a few days ago. Today it reverted to 1.8.

I’m not sure about Android, but the iPhone Apple App Store has Roon Remote (Legacy) that can be installed that is 1.8 to use until the core get moved back to 2.0. Maybe Android had this also, IDK.

Thanks, that’s a good suggestion. Still somewhat bewildered, through. Are Roon Nuclei being intentionally reverted for some reason? If so, what reason? Speculation encouraged!

As has been said, there are reports of some ROCK/Nucleus installs reverting to 1.8 after having been updated successfully to 2.0.

Only a few (with reportedly more than 100,000 installs of Roon ARC, there are likely to be many of these working with Cores on ROCK/Nucleus), and AFAIK, Roon Labs are investigating this.

One thing is clear, Roon Labs are not downgrading these installations deliberately.

Maybe folks with ROCK/NUCLEUS should disable auto updates until this is resolved.

Yes, Play store has an app for “Roon Remote (Legacy)”

Since v2.0 was released I have been successfully running it on my ROCK and control devices.

This morning I went to Settings==>About and was told that a new version of ROCK was waiting download. I thought that a bug must have been found and ROCK should be updated to fix it.

Noooo, the new version that was updated was V1.8 Legacy. All my Control devices have been successfully updated to V2.0. I can’t get on anywhere to update ROCK to V2.0, again.

I tried rebooting, reloading, and restarting from the Web GUI, but no luck.

You have got to be f&cking kidding me.

W.T.F., @danny?

1 Like

Have you set up the branches folder, installed the roon 2.0 file and renamed it as laid out in the FAQ?

Geoff, you’re not listening. I was good with ROCK. Everything was great. ROON screwed up and downloaded a V1.8 Legacy when it shouldn’t have.

I’m not the only one and I won’t be the last if people are not forewarned and the problem isn’t fixed.

I’m not talking about the fact that your ROCK regressed, I’m talking about what you need to do to fix it… Reinstalling from the web page ain’t enough.

See, this is why people get p*ssed. It’s these unforced errors.

Now, I have to go thru all this bullsh*t.

Also, you might want to respond to this thread -

I saw it. and I’ll let Support respond. Enjoy your weekend.

After all this time? No need to get snotty.

Hope support is working this weekend.

Doubtful. They really have made a meal of this updating. They need to get the house in order its caused confusion all rounds. Such a major update should have had much better docs and given you options as to what you want to do. Not force 2 and then regress. Forcing port forwarding without warning and the loss of offline playback. I love ARC but the rest leaves a bad taste. They will loose customers from this mess.

3 Likes

Yes, the procedures in the FAQ you linked to don’t work.

After download -

After creating folder and renaming file -

After reinstalling OS (and rebooting) in the Web GUI (twice) -

It didn’t work for this poster, either -

@danny?

Hey, here’s some more sloppiness.

Roon v1.8 Legacy has Settings==>Roon ARC.

In light of everything else, does it matter? No, but it shows less than focused attention to what is being supplied.

Just another user stopping by to say that this happened to me too. At this point I can’t believe that I pay anything for Roon. It’s felt like beta freeware for the past 6 months and now this nonsense. This is expensive software and it’s getting worse with every release (since I’ve started paying at least). I hate coming here to complain, but this is awful.

The FAQ suggestions above do not work at all for me either.

It’s a good thing that Plex and Plexamp have come along so far in the past 6 months. I can keep listening to music using that setup. Other than no gapless playback on Chromecast, that is a fairly pleasant experience at this point.

What happened to you? The subject of this thread or the subject of the posts that hijacked this thread?