Why did Roon spontaneously revert itself from Roon 2.0 to 1.8? [Fixed: Update Server Error, Update To v2.0 Using Migration FAQ]

The posts that I read all seemed related. I’m responding to the original post though. My server updated to v2.0, then I saw a prompt to update again at which point the server reverted to v1.8 and now I can’t connect to it and I can’t update it.

I also can’t access the \\ROCK\Data folder in order to try any more of the workaround ("Windows cannot access \\ROCK"), though I can access the ROCK core by accessing it via IP in my browser. Adding \Data to the end of that gives me a “can’t be found” error from the browser.

Thanks for the validation.

Doesn’t matter. That ‘solution’ doesn’t work.

Since I have a library backup from when I was successfully running V2.0, I am contemplating just reinstalling ROCK from scratch.

Shouldn’t have to do that to clean up Roon’s mess.

The way things are I am betting that the ROCK download is still V1.8.

@danny?

1 Like

Can you go to the appropriate app store and install Roon Remote Legacy and stay on Roon 1.8 Legacy until next week?

Yes, I have done that. Thanks.

In part, I’m trying to warn other users of ROCK about a potential problem.

The warning isn’t very effective since, because there are so many updates to the #support section, the post keeps percolating down the list.

1 Like

Just to verify:
You should open an Explorer window, then type \\ROCK\ (two backslashes).
You should see the ‘Data’ folder then, double-click on it, and then create a new folder ‘branches’.

[Mod edit: I’ve fixed the missing \ in the OP’s post.

Yeah, this is what I tried. I copy/pasted from the support article to make sure I wasn’t messing it up. I’m using a second ROCK as an endpoint into my receiver, so I’m wondering if that is causing some confusion between the two somehow given the generic path name.

In that case, try to replace the word ROCK with the IP-address of the ROCK you’re using, for instance:
\\192.168.1.2\ (this works for me).
I wouldn’t be surprised if two ROCKs on the same network cause problems in terms of SMB shares (and maybe updating), but I’m no expert in that kind of setup. You may want to try to disconnect one of the ROCKS entirely, reboot everything, then try accessing the share.

Using just the IP (in \IP\ form) did not work for me. I’ll try disconnecting the endpoint and accessing later. Thanks for the ideas.

Took a few tries, but here is what worked for me,

1. Stop Roon Server in Web Interface
  2. PC: Windows Explorer address bar type :\ROCK\ Or \nucleus
    Mac: Finder, click Go, then Connect To Server, type smb://ROCK/ Or smb://nucleus/
    Then follow the procedure in the link
    (https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-1-8-2-0-migration-faq-16-9-2022#RoonOS_Core_20_Nucleus__ROCK)
  3. Open Web Interface, while Roon Server is still stopped, reinstall Operating System
  4. Reboot Roon Remote, log in, find your Core, and let the Core install update (after install completion, Remote will prompt you to reboot to apply the install)
  5. Open Web Interface, reboot Rock/Nucleus
  6. Go back to Remote, and see if your Core is back to Roon 2.0

I kind of clicked it through and didn’t thought to take any screenshot, so please forgive me if I skipped a step or two, Perhaps @ Geoff_Coupe could arrange @support to do a screenshot step-by-step tutorial come Monday

1 Like

Thanks for the try, but for this step -

I get this -

Which still results in this -

I tried the same from my iPad, which is running Legacy Remote, and got the same results.

I have an extra NUC hanging around, which I was going to put ROCK on and sell. I also found an old ROCK download from before V2.0.

After some chores, I may try installing the old V1.8 ROCK and upgrading. If that works on the old NUC, then I’ll try it on the NUC that is FOOBAR.

@support needs to find a solution, to a problem Roon caused and then compounded because their upgrade procedures don’t work, without putting people thru all the bullsh*t.

1 Like

Sorry, that didn’t work out. Honestly, I was equally a bit frustrated late last night. I tried to recall as much as I could, but some details were a bit blurry. Many times I failed, and when I rebooted remote one last time, and found my Core, suddenly it shows “Installing” under the version/build No.

1 Like

Just found this, Roon 2.0 update not downloaded to nucleus - #10 by LEE_MINGFONG
There is an addition of a Roon Remote (Legacy) in App/Play Store

Thanks, but I am already running Legacy app on my iPad. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It happened to me too, now on legacy and staying there for the time being.
I was holding of the 2.0 for a bit because of the usual headaches of v1 early adoption.
All my devices are set to ask for upgrades so I thought I was fine, but my phone went to 2.0 anyway and I decided to try 2.o and that is where my relaxed sunday morning ended. After the reboot my core reverted to legacy and I spent the rest of the morning going through a ■■■■■■ mess of faqs and forum posts trying to figure out what to do or how to go forward without messing things up further. Done with this! I just want to listen to my music, offline if needed.

Great, at least now you have a working roon now, only mentioned this because @LEE_MINGFONG indicated success in redone the 1.8 to 2.0 upgrade from the Legacy Remote. Though it’s worth a try to get you back to 2.0 in everything.

Yeah, I went thru the same yesterday. The title of my post was trying to warn people.

Offline will be a problem if not using “legacy“.

If the upgrade succeeded I would not have known untill the first internet-outage, now it will forever bug me that I switched to Roon because it works offline, got a lifetime-subscription and ended up with yet another streaming service.
So I might be on 1.8 forever if they don`t amend the always online thing. Roon used to be perfect for my usecase, now I find myself looking at audirvana etc. hoping they evolved into a good alternative/backup to roon when the internet is down.

I recommend you go to Roon 2.0 for all the latest updates and so you can use Roon ARC. Then, subscribe to Audirvana Origin for $120 lifetime for use with local files only if you lose internet. At least, this is what I would do if I had local files.

Same issue here. My Rock server and Rocker player downgraded to 1.8 version :frowning:
Now using Roon Legacy Remote. When doing about, it does NOT propose to migrate to 2.0.

It’s a shame, it’s a lack of testing, a lack of respects of the customers.
Again a such bug and I will resign and go back to Daphile !!!
Very angry customer here.