Why I won't be renewing Roon

I thought the US version hadn’t launched yet. Are you talking about streaming or download or both?

The US version still hasn’t announced, after a couple of years of teasing. I got tired of waiting.

You get the current version in the US by signing up for a VPN trial from a UK provider, signing up with Qobuz while using the VPN, and then uninstall the VPN, as you don’t need it to listen to your account from anywhere in the world.

Performance via VPN okay in US? (Thx for the info, BTW. I am usually slow out of the gate. :slight_smile: )

Qobuz performance has not been a problem from the west coast.
I’m currently listening from my BubbleUPnP or the Auralic Lightning app.
I’m hoping for Roon support if they ever get around to it, as Tidal is mediocre, and MQA is useful only for reducing bandwidth costs to Tidal, IMHO - Qobuz’ FLACs sound better.

1 Like

On a Soundtouch speaker I am not sure you or many others would hear much difference between Spotify high quality (320 kbps I believe) and Tidal 16/44.1 (which is 1411.2 kbps).
I have a Soundtouch in the dining room connected via Chromecast. Even setting the Chromecast to Full Dynamic Range in google settings which makes a big difference doesn’t make the Soundtouch much better with 16/44.1 vs Spofify 320kbps, if at all.

I guess for those with a great ear there would be a noticeable difference, but I really only hear the difference on better hifi equipment.

Thanks, I now remember that is what I did.

I had the same issue with Roon putting Tidal music in my library. I hated that but you can turn it off and clear them out in bulk. I also ditched Tidal, as they seem to keep promoting the same artists who I don’t even like.