WiFi Router Recommendations?

Mike, I know I am resurrecting an old post but must comment on the Fritzbox recommendation in the linked page. It is not quite accurate and problematic.

The FRITZ OS 7 update includes a feature called “Software Packet Acceleration” that can cause issues with remote connectivity. We recommend disabling this setting from the FRITZ GUI.

There is not one such setting. At least now, Fritz OS 7.29, this has two related settings and the wording differs. These are the defaults on my privately owned FB:

Layer 2 acceleration maintains its own traffic tables and can increase throughput by avoiding packets having to traverse the full IP stack, but when reading a detailed description on Google I can easily imagine that this can interfere with Roon. It’s also very unlikely to be necessary in a home network. I would leave it off, as by default.

The Hardware Acceleration, however, simply enables, well, hardware acceleration in the Fritzbox and I have never, ever seen any issue. Disabling this makes it run essential code in software and absolutely kills throughput. My 300 Mbps Internet link drops to 75 kbps and wifi performance is seriously hampered as well. That can’t be good for Roon operation.

[Edit: thinking about it, I realize that the Roon help page says “disable software acceleration” which seems to me a different wording for “enable hardware acceleration”. Maybe the AVM guys changed this in later updates of Fritzbox OS 7.x]

The settings are well hidden in the support section and I’d guess for a reason:

1 Like