Wiim Pro Plus and Roon [It's now Roon Ready]

Good afternoon.

I have received today a Wiim Pro Plus streamer. Nice device. Currently inputting TV box via Toslink, Bluetooth BTA30 Fiio via line in, and outputting to my Chord Mojo via Toslink.

I was wondering if there’s any way to stream from Roon at bitrates higher than 24/96?

I have selected the Wiim Pro from Roon compatible devices and I’m not quite sure what protocol it’s using to connect; is it Chromecast Audio?

Any pointers as to how I can optimise this device with Roon would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, David

1 Like

Until it’s made Roon Ready you need to use Chromecast which is capped to 96/24 with Roon. However optical is generally capped at 96/24 for most devices as that’s at the edge of its limits. Some devices do say they will manage 192/24 but the dac and sender both need to support it and its often very cable dependant. If you want guaranteed 192/24 you need to use Coax not optical.

4 Likes

Thank you for posting this!

I have the WiiM Pro (not Plus), which is Roon Ready, and I could not understand why Roon would max out at 96/24, even though my DAC supports 192/24. It turns out it was because I was using the optical TOSLINK connection. Switching to coax allows me to go to 192/24!

3 Likes

Ill see if i can get a coax linkup going. Will advise how I get on!

It will only help with its UPnP, Qobuz or Amazon integration at the moment, Chromecast is capped at 96/24 so won’t go any higher than that and as thats currently the only way to get hires with Roon today. They said when they fix Squeezelite it will also works with Roon as a squeebox end point up to 192/24 you just have to enable the Squeezebox feature in Roon. Currently it’s broken on the Wiim and mutes the output instantly unless you adjust the volume, but it goes to mute again each time you press play. They are aware of it and working out a fix.

1 Like

It does depend on the models of used streamer DAC’s and amplifiers.

My WiiM Mini is not Roon Ready and can only be accessed through AirPlay. However when using the WiiM Home app it does do 24/192 through its optical output. The Marantz M-CR612 it’s connected to reports it when playing 24/192 tracks.

My Cambridge CXNv2, which is Roon Ready, only does 24/96 on its optical output and 24/192 on its coaxial one. It plays 24/192 perfectly fine through coax connected to my Cambridge CXA81 but no sound from Roon through optical unless I use down sampling to 24/96.

Just a follow-up. I switched the Wiim Pro back to optical and Roon stayed at 192/24. The last time I tried to configure the Wiim Pro in Roon (a few months ago), I was limited to 96 in the Roon UI, but that is no longer the case with optical or coax.

Was that before it was Roon Ready? If so you would have been using Chromecast which is limited to 96/24.

No, it was after it was Roon Ready. I only bought it after that. I was confused that I couldn’t set it to 192, but didn’t sweat it too much, since I don’t think there’s much difference between 96 and 192. But, for whatever reason, it seems to be working now with 192 in Roon with both the Coax and Optical connections to my DAC.

1 Like

Any update on Wiim pro plus being Roon Ready @Tech_Admin ?

3 Likes

Roon dont comment on status until its passed.

1 Like

Have Roon Core on a PC connected to network over wifi; PC has library of hires audio files. Am streaming to a Wiim Pro Plus, connected to amp via line out (using Wiim’s DAC) - this is all new to me so trying to get set up.

Had assumed that as Wiim is ‘Roon Ready’ it would receive the audio in its native resolution (thought RAAT would allow this?); however, looks like Wiim is receiving via AirPlay and audio is being downsampled (see image attached) to meet AirPlay’s max res of 16/44.1.

Irrespective of arguments for or against reasons/necessity for doing so, is there anyway of enabling the Wiim to receive the native resolution audio, e.g. 24/192? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Unless I’ve missed a recent announcement, the Wiim Pro Plus is not yet Roon Ready - although it should be ‘soon’. Consequently it will not be using RAAT.

As you can see from your signal path image, audio is conveyed from the Roon Core (Roon server) to the Wiim Pro Plus using Airplay - which is probably where the need to downsample comes from.

When the Wiim Pro Plus gets it’s Roon Ready certification (and after any required firmware upgrade), you will see it appear as a new RAAT endpoint in the Roon Audio settings - you will then be able to select that to get the sample rates presented to the Wiim as you expect.

1 Like

Until the Pro Plus is Roon Certified you can try Chromecast or Squeezebox instead of Airplay.

Both of those support at least 24/96 and in my experience sound better (Squeezebox sounds the best but needs to be enabled in Roon settings).

Give them both a try and see which you prefer.

3 Likes

Given you a ‘like’ for this because I meant to mention Chromcast (I have no experience of knowledge of Squeezebox) in my post but I got distracted an forgot.

1 Like

Many thanks for the helpful and super quick support. So my mistake (apologies) the Wiim Pro is ‘Roon Ready’ but the Pro Plus is not - mistakenly thought I’d read otherwise. Hopefully there’ll be a firmware update at some point soon - is there any talk of this?

I’ll try Chromecast tonight - can I simply cast from the Roon app on my mobile to the Wiim then?

1 Like

The Wiim Pro Plus Roon Ready certification is reportedly underway so it should not be too long - but it is probable that no-one will be in a position to say until it actually happens (Roon staff may have an idea but they will not comment until certification is granted).

1 Like

You can do that - but not for Roon. To get Chromecast audio in Roon, you will need to enable the Chromecast endpoint in the Roon server audio settings - and then select that endpoint in preference to the airplay one that you are currently using (which could be disabled to keep things clean).

1 Like

what are the exact settings for the WiiM Pro Plus and within Roon to use squeezebox as you mentioned?

Hi Eric it’s simply a matter of going in the Roon Settings->Setup and ticking the Enable Squeezebox support setting.

I had never used it before last week after reading that some preferred the sound of this to Chromecast and Airplay and I was happy enough to leave it set until it is Roon Ready.

It will then appear in the Settings->Audio are where you can enable it

Hopefully this helps

2 Likes