Will the gear I have work for HQ Player in Roon?

In your screenshot the DAC is shown, called “USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio”.

Ok. Well then I have no idea why it would not produce music through the DAC?
Stumped.

Do you get playback started at HQPlayer side if you try to use it standalone?

Do you have NAA selected in Audio App Switcher?

1 Like

Yes I do
:+1:

By everything I see it should work unless it does not like the DAC in the ML585 for some crazy reason.
I even limited pcm in hqp settings to 96 just to test.
See screenshot of hqp thinking it’s playing quite merrily through Roon.
But in reality zero sound.

Going to test tomorrow with a different DAC.

Thanks again to all for their help so far.

How is HQPlayer volume setting?

Oh oh…sounds like something I missed!
Did not even see a setting for HQPlayer volume?
I will dig now quickly before work but that may well be it

Would it be the right hand “volume” knob…?
If so yep I completely missed that and as you can see it was/is set at -60.
What do you recommend?

Doh…
I knew it would be something simple stupid and that was indeed it!
Many thanks @jussi_laako to point out the obvious, well when you know what you are doing its obvious…lol
I got it now and music is playing!
Now I can play with it tonight and see what my Acer PC can handle in the way of filters etc.
So what/where do you suggest I start besides what it already in the defaults at start up?

3 Likes

If you use external volume control, -3 dBFS is recommended setting. This is enough for 90+% of all recordings to stay away from limiting due to inter-sample overs.

1 Like

How is it all going?

And how does it sound !

Well after the push to get it working I really have not had much chance to try it seriously but…

It’s going to be pretty inconvenient to get a realistic feel due to the 30 minutes at a go trials and the fact that the PC it’s on is upstairs.
So after 30 minutes I have to dash up the stairs to restart it and same to make any filter changes.
Not sure how good my aural memory is tbh.

Saying that I am off work Thursday and Friday and I intend to see if I can make an educated opinion.

So far the Acer PC appears to have enough HP to get the job done.

1 Like

You can use HQPlayer Client to change filters remotely from another computer. Or HQPDcontrol for the same from a mobile device (phone or tablet).

1 Like

I recommend tightVNC. It will allow you to control your system remotely as if you were in front of it. It is even free. The best price.
Download TightVNC

Just not needed for trying different filters, which is quicker with some HQPlayer remote control like the ones I mentioned.

I’m sure that is entirely true.
But when the 30 minutes is up and he needs to restart the application remotely, he now has a solution.

Yes, certainly. I also have one headless Windows 10 server (i9-10900K) that I control same way. It doesn’t have any monitor attached, but instead just an EDID spoofer (1080p resolution). This way I can nicely control it over network.

Like these:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Dummy-Headless-Display-Emulator-1920x1080-3840x2160/dp/B087R35V9Q/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+edid+spoofer&qid=1633444507&qsid=261-8036582-0364047&sr=8-13&sres=B07VPQBY8R%2CB07F2N9ZTS%2CB0995HXDHM%2CB08V5D2BVT%2CB07YMS5V7B%2CB07GKMLT39%2CB07C87QFNF%2CB00D4B4GNE%2CB087R35V9Q%2CB07MYXQG77%2CB08DJ39JBB%2CB01M3SH3CL%2CB07VXP3CP5%2CB07NQBV4F3%2CB091BVSSVB%2CB08L52L487

1 Like

Not technically gear that works with HQPLayer in Roon as such, but will HQPlayer 4 Desktop work with Windows 11?

I think that’s a question only @jussi_laako can answer.
It’s a great question though.