Windows 11 with NVIDIA - ROON application flashes whole screen on and off like crazy

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC Kit NUC8i3BEH 28W 32GB 38.4Gbps 32768MB Intel® NUC Kits Intel® NUC Kit with 8th Generation Intel® CoreTM Processors

Networking Gear & Setup Details

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-port gigabit network switch AND Linksys Velop MESH system connected via cable

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Node2 devices (2) and NAD T758

Number of Tracks in Library

Don’t know where to find this.

Description of Issue

I have previously been running the ROON Windows software with no problems on a DELL XPS 15 Laptop, Windows 11 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics.
I now have a new DELL XPS 15 with WIndows 11 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050. As soon as I run ROON and run the mouse over it, the whole application and monitor screen flashes on and off like crazy.
I see that such issues have been reported in the past but I don’t see any solution for my case.

Can you confirm the model of your video card? Is it a 40 series (4090,4080?). The “54050” does not equate to an Nvidia RTX model number. Have you tried fresh install of the latest drivers (531.68 as of April 18th)

I had the same problem. Turning off active sync in the monitor seems to have solved it. I think it would also work if you turn off G-sync in the Nvidia control panel - or maybe enable it for full screen mode only - but I haven’t tried that.

Sorry, I mistyped - RTX 4050 Laptop GPU

The only options I see in my NVIDIA control panel are “3D Settings”, nothing about G-Sync

I’ve now been in touch with DELL support on this issue. We have updated the NVIDIA drivers, no change, still flickering … They were quite helpful on this occasion, took the time to look here into the ROON community posts, read other people having similar problems and are pretty much telling me this is up to ROON to sort out, there’s obviously an issue - so I’d really welcome some official attention from someone on this please!
PS - they also tell me there is no reason I should have to change any NVIDIA settings, not G-Sync or anything else

Not sure if this might help, worth a try until support chimes in?
There are sometimes issues with the “scaling” of laptop screens. I had to do this on my mothers laptop (18" Alienware) so the Roon screen would show up properly.
see here:

Hey @Gordon_Milligan,

Ben with the support team here, thanks for taking the time to write in, and my apologies for the delay in reaching your thread.

Following up here, are you able to record a video of the issue? Feel free to upload it here. Sharing the date and time of when you reproduce the issue would be helpful as well.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Hi Ben. Well, the delay seems to have helped! I just came back from two weeks on the road and when I started up my machine it installed a bunch of Windows 11 Cumulative updates … And all I can say is for the moment the problem seems to have fixed itself - perhaps there was causation in these updates, no idea, but right now everything is fine again :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.