Your favourite 4 ECM albums?

Thatā€™s correct.

I guess thatā€™s rather subjective. Iā€™m a passionate collector of Bachā€™s suites for solo cello. I wouldnā€™t say these compositions are on that same high level, but I quite like it.

Though from the credits, you would expect a monotonous record, it really is quite diverse in its compositions/atmosphere and varied in the way the bass is being used, sometimes also with overdubs. Itā€™s a showcase for the bass and what it can do and sound like. A bit jazz, a bit classical (cinematic Karaindrou comes to mind).

Itā€™s not for each moment of the day, but certainly makes for an entertaining listen. If you stream, give it a try and let me know what you think of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good idea. I will and I will let you know what I think of it.

Although the whole idea of a solo bass recording brings to mind one of the few jazz jokes that I know:

A married couple is at the marriage counselors office and no matter what the marriage counselor does he cannot get the couple to look at each other, let alone talk to each other and try to work things out. Finally the counselor gets up from behind his desk and walks over to a closet from which takes out an upright bass. He then proceeds to play a long bass solo.

After about 10 minutes he stops and when looks over at the couple to find that they are talking to each other and starting to get things worked out. Incredulously the couple look over at the counselor and ask him how knew what to do. To which he replied ā€œThatā€™s easy. Everyone talks during a bass solo.ā€

Iā€™ll be all week :sunglasses:

2 Likes

(DSD 64)

(DSD 64)

2 Likes

(DSD 64)

3 Likes

Wrong thread, you should post it here :wink:

LOL! Still great, but I canā€™t help feeling you intend PhiloMelos to bang his head on the piano the same way Keith seems to be doing on the album cover :joy:

Not really.
Keith Jarrettā€™s Music is just beautiful. Itā€™s worth a renewed discovery.

1 Like

(DSD 64)

2 Likes

Four that Iā€™m listening to lately:

4 Likes

An absolutely brilliant and killer version of ā€œGod Bless The Childā€. If you havenā€™t heard this version then go onto Tidal or Qbuz and give it a listen.

2 Likes

Pssstā€¦ The Mehldau isnā€™t ECM. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but it could be.:wink:

Maybe it should be. Mehldau records SQ is oftentimes a bit iffyā€¦

2 Likes

Oops. Sorry about thatā€¦

This older title is still in my current rotation:

3 Likes

Nothing to be sorry about - great music is timeless!

Something to be very sorry about, that was Charlie Hadenā€™s last recording, and the title is not an accident, as his illness would soon make it impossible for him to play. Makes me choke a bit every time I listen to it. I first heard Haden live in 1971, playing with Ornette at the famous session in Cascais, Portugal that led to him being arrested by the pre-democracy political police for making a Black Power salute on behalf of the fighters against Portuguese colonial rule in Africa. Old and New Dreams and Liberation Music Orchestra were constants of my vinyl listening back then, as well as the sadly neglected ā€œjazz operaā€ Escalator over the Hill that he also performed on. Last time I heard him live was in SF as his illness was starting to take hold, and yet he still graciously signed a CD as a gift to my son. When he passed, I spent a sad weekend listening to the amazing range of his music. A brilliant musician, a mensch, a big loss to art and society.

5 Likes

I saw a cartoon of a guy tied to a chair, confronted by two hoodlums. ā€œYouā€™d better talk or weā€™ll play another bass solo!ā€

EDIT When I wrote that joke, I hadnā€™t seen Fernandoā€™s tribute to Charlie Haden. I share the sense of loss.

According to the joke I related above, that makes no sense since during the first bass solo the guy tied to the chair would have talked and talked. :grin:

If I may recommend a wonderful non-ECM bass solo recording: http://daveholland.com/recording/ones-all

Iā€™ve been privileged to listen live times to Dave Holland, Charlie Haden, Larry Grenadier, Michael Formanek, Reuben Rogers, ā€¦ Great bass work, solo or ensemble, brings a depth that one canā€™t find any other way.

4 Likes