Zen Stream Roon Ready - How?

That’s because it likely installed the version of bridge the released then pulled pretty much instantly due to issues. If that’s installed it won’t show up. You need to manually update it to latest I had to do this with Ropieee. Not sure how you achieve that with the Zen.

1 Like

Normally through settings ->About, but not showing.
I need to pop up and try it again.
Interesting now that it is RR I wonder if it does it the same way :thinking:

Actually making a factory reset on the zen stream and installing the latest oficial update, the non beta, then restarting roon server makes the zen stream appear again on the about page.

The quirk here is that you can’t update after the bridge software, at least I’m my roon about, gives an error as posted above.

1 Like

Given that I am on the beta and Roon Ready I will wait and see what happens with this in the near future.
Roon seems to be be pushing regular updates now so hopefully we will see something updated soon

In the Audio you can check Device Info which shows:

Any idea whether Raat 1.1.38 is new/old/terribly old version?

Just realised your referring to it being Roon Ready. It won’t show in about for a Roon Ready device, Roon doesn’t update Roon Ready devices the manufacturer does. Only Roon Bridge, core and Roon remote on pc will show up as those are updated via Roon. I assume bridge most stop working when you update to the version with Roon Ready

No ideas as this is not common knowledge it’s for Roon Ready partners only. I was referring to Roon Bridge not Roon Ready. They are very different implementations.

Got to be honest and thought that as well, but don’t understand it enough to make that claim.
My other 2 RR devices get updated independently of Roon, so I thought it would be the same and the Zen was my last Bridge device currently in use.

@Michael_Harris Im in two minds whether to update to the beta firmware for RR. What’s your thoughts so far, is it worth it or you think best to wait? Appreciated any honest feedback. Thanks.

Ian all my feedback is honest :thinking::grin:

So far it seems to be a minor update delivering RR and MQA again with the minor issues we discussed above.

Besides switching inputs, I have no complaints at all. Spent about 11-12 hours listening to music on the Zen DAC through it and it works as well as it did before.
Besides MQA being back which is useful for my Tidal listening, I would recommend most people to wait the couple of weeks it likely will take to make it the new stable firmware.

Sadly I have never been able to follow my own advice to others, but I have no complaints about making the update

2 Likes

I can confirm that this update brings new functionality, tighter integration, better processing visibility (signal path) and handles properly Roon-Tidal Connect interoperability.

However there is one bug which is a showstopper for me. My DAC doesn’t expose volume control over USB. So I have to use DSP volume control. But this option is not available in Device Settings anymore. You can achieve the same by setting Volume Options - Mixer Type in ifi GUI to Software. But this setting is lost every time I switch off DAC and resets to None. So I’d need to set again every time I turn on DAC. That would be quite frustrating as you can imagine…

2 Likes

Piotr yours was the bug I was referring to.

This does not affect me as I use the volume control on my Zen Dac, but If I had that option it would be a problem. I am wondering if this is a bug or part of the RR certification process, as we also lost the ability to use change outputs as well.

It will be good to see if there is another update before this goes out as the default firmware

Have you seen that?

Maybe I’m over-optimistic but the USB visibility changes should solve that problem we observed.
But there is nothing about possibility to choose between USB & SPDIF outputs.

1 Like

This confirms that Roon Marketing jumped the gun announcing the Zen as Roon Ready. Now and in a few weeks are pretty different.

Thanks for spotting this and sharing it.

3 Likes

I think we thought that when testing.
I’m guessing it means they passed the Roon tests, not that it was ready for prime time.
I’m looking forward to the future updates as they will bring back usability, especially for those that want Roon only mode and not AIO

1 Like