96/24 support for Chromecast with Google TV?

In the corresponding section you say “Chromecast Audio supports high-resolution music (up to 96kHz/24-bit), while other Chromecast devices support a sample rate up to 48kHz” but 96/24 is supported also by the Chromecast with Google TV.

Is it possible to enable it?

Hello @test_VV01 and welcome to the forum.

While this post and thread are old, I don’t see that Roon’s ChromeCast support has changed.
So if the Chromecast with Google TV actually supports an output sample rate of 96 kHz for audio streams and would also set the corresponding flag (self reporting the high-res support) then Roon would already honor that and allow playback audio up to 96 kHz sample rate. I was unable to find any official documentation/specification that shows the Chromecast with Google TV supporting 96 kHz over its HDMI connector though (and anything else seems to be unofficial and tinkering). But if he does, it would be best/easiest if Google would just set the high-res flag they themself specified for ChromeCast.

As this doesn’t look like something Roon support can help you with but rather a feature request instead to me, I suggest you add your vote to:

Note: I’m just another Roon user and can’t speak for Roon Labs.

1 Like

Depends if the device advertises its hires capabilities with the correct flag and is truly capable of jt , if not then no Roon will only send 48/24 max. Other apps don’t check for this and may work or the cc decide will resample under the hood where you can’t see. My Sony TV will resample anything over 48/24 from any app sending over 48/24 but apps all report it’s 96/24 such as Qobuz (except Roon). But I checked it out via eARC and it only went to 48/24z Just because Chromecast can support it doesn’t mean the device does and I don’t think any TV product does to my knowledge or not properly found this on Reddit looks like it upsamples on their own device when USB dac is attached.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/kxdgyz/can_chromecast_with_google_tv_output_audio_signal/

Hello, and thank you very much for the replies. The topic seems to be more “interesting” than I previously thought! I assumed that because casting from my mobile phone, through a media player app (such as Poweramp), to the Chromecast with Google TV supports 96/24, then naturally Roon should be able to support it also. But, as I understand now this is not the case and the solution is not trivial. Also, from your replies I understand that the HDMI connection as output is not the default in all cases with many people tinkering this and that. So, I think we are not in “Support” territory but in “Feature Request” territory instead. The feature that I am requesting though is exactly the opposite to the one suggested, ie the ability to overide the settings in the chromecast section (or create a dedicated Chromecast with Google TV section and/or device) to allow the inclusion of 96/24 casting. Yes, I understand that my new amp has to have roon compatibility by itself but until then… Thank you again for the answers.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.