Abruptly Ending Playing Tracks - Qobuz and Sonos

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Roon V 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Google WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonos Amp, Connect and Beam all connected via WiFi

Description Of Issue

Intermittently tracks, from Qobuz, will stop playing and skip to the next track. I even had one case while playing on a Sonos Beam where the application hung and I had to reboot my computer.

I’ve installed Roon on two systems at two different locations and experienced these issues at both places. System installed in the last two days.

Hi @richard_rubenstein,

Sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this behavior, can I please request the following information so that we can better understand the issue?

1. How often are you seeing this behavior? Is it once an hour, once a day, more/less? Does it seem to happen with specific content? What was the exact time this last happened?
  2. What type of Core do you have, what is the model/manufacturer and specifications (CPU/RAM)
  3. Does this behavior occur on multiple endpoints or are you just seeing it occur on one?
  4. What is your network setup like? Can you list how the Core and endpoints are connected?
  5. What is your internet connection download/upload speed? You can check this on speedtest.net
  6. What is the exact failure state - Does Roon fail to complete the song mid-way? Does this issue ever occur at the start of the track?
  7. Does logging in and out of Qobuz/TIDAL have any effect?

Once again apologies for the frustrations here, please let me know the above details when possible for our investigation. Thank you.

Replying to the e-mail did not work so here’s your answers.

How often are you seeing this behavior? Is it once an hour, once a da=
y, more/less? Does it seem to happen with specific content? What was the ex=
act time this last happened?

It happens here and there. I am now listening to Joan Baez (Diamo=
nds and Rust) which is FLAC in my own library on a Buffalo Technology NAS. =
When the song begins is garbled and then gets okay. But then it stopped o=
ne song in the middle and then went to the next song.

What type of Core do you have, what is the model/manufacturer and spe=
cifications (CPU/RAM)

Dell XPS 8920, i7-7700, 3.6 GHz, 64gb RAM, SSD drive for system an=
d programs.

Does this behavior occur on multiple endpoints or are you just seeing=
it occur on one?

It has occurred on (2) Sonos Connect devices, (1) Sonos Amp, (1) S=
onos Beam and (1) Sonos Playbar.

What is your network setup like? Can you list how the Core and endpoi=
nts are connected?

The router is Google WiFi. Connected to the Ethernet port on the =
main router (connected to the modem) is a 16 port gigabyte switch. The ‘co=
re’ is hard wired into that switch. Download is roughly 700 Mbps (speedtes=
t.net). All the devices are connected to the network via one of the Google=
WiFi pods distributed throughout the house. Testing with speedtest.net sh=
ows that slowest download speed anywhere is about 70Mbps. Network upload s=
peed is around 20Mbps

What is your internet connection download/upload speed? You can check=
this on speedtest.nethttp://speedtest.net/ (see above)
What is the exact failure state - Does Roon fail to complete the song=
mid-way? Does this issue ever occur at the start of the track?

Sometimes it will garble the beginning of a track and other times =
will be stop mid track and then skip to the next track.

Does logging in and out of Qobuz/TIDAL have any effect?

I have not tried. I’m not sure what impact that would have. Qobuz=
does not need to be running for Roon to access Qobuz.

Thank you for you quick response.

Hey @richard_rubenstein,

We just released Build 505 with some changes that we think will help here. Can you give it a shot and let us know how it goes?

More details are here:

Thanks!

I tested in two locations.

A small condo with three Sonos devices (Connect, Beam, Playbar) and everything worked fine.

And then at my house where there are six Sonos devices (2-Play:1, 2 Amps, 1 Connect, 1 Beam). I initially tried playing music on one of the Amps and it skipped and garbled part of the song. The problem is not fixed.

The music source was Qubuz.

I then tried it on the Sonos Connect. Skipped the first song of the album but showed it was playing the first song when, in fact, it was playing the second song (since it skipped the first).

I then tried it on a Bluesound Node 2 and it skipped the first ten songs on the album!

Thanks for the update, @richard_rubenstein.

Based on the description you’ve provided, it seems like what you’re experiencing is a little bit different than what build 505 fixed.

When the skips occur, do you see any error messages in the Roon UI?

The networking details you provided above — Is it for the condo or for the house?

Sorry to keep adding onto this but I just tried it with FLAC files from my computer system and there are problems with the Sonos Connect. Playing the same FLAC file to ‘system output’, my PC, works fine.

Then I played Barbra Streisand “The Movie Album” to the Sonos Connect and there were problems. Playing the same album to ‘system output’ was without any problems.

I tried another album from my FLAC collection and same things; worked on ‘system output’ and did not work Sonos Connect.

And finally I tried another Qobuz album; worked on ‘system output’ and on Sonos Connect it skipped over the first track and started on the second track.

I don’t know how your software is written or what it is doing behind the scenes but it almost seems the problem lies between the core and the outputs not between the core and the music sources (locally stored files or music service).

I really love this software and will help in any way to get it working.

No error messages at all.

Google WiFi is in my house. There’s a NetGear 6300 (I think) router in the condo. In the condo, all Sonos devices are within 20 feet of each other and the router.

Thanks.

Here’s one more data point. I also have a Sonos Beam.

If I play music on the ‘Family Room Beam (Unnamed)’ via Airplay, it works fine (in limited testing). If I play it on ‘Family Room’ via Sonos Streaming is does not work fine. As you can see from the IP address these two Roon devices are the same device.

Hi @richard_rubenstein,

Is this happening for every single Sonos device? Do you have any Sonos connected via Ethernet and does it exhibit the same issue if so?

Can you try rebooting your Core, Router, and the Sonos gear and let us know if there is any change?

Dylan,

I rebooted the main Google Wifi Router, which is connected to the modem. I rebooted the Core and one Sonos Device (Media Room).

The Media Room Sonos Connect still exhibits the same problems. Although I didn’t reboot every other Sonos device, with the exception of the Sonos Beam, they all exhibited problems.

I do have one Bluesound Node2 and it appears to be working.

The common threads of devices with the problems seems to be Sonos Streaming. Bluesound and whatever it uses is fine and Sonos Beam which is using Airplay works fine. When I switched the Sonos Beam to Sonos Streaming it had the same problems.

Sounds like the Roon app is having trouble working with Sonos Streaming.

Sonos and Spotify Connect which are talking to the same Sonos devices, work perfectly. And they use the same Google WiFi network.

Hi @richard_rubenstein,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Dylan,

8:45 am -8:47 am (CST)

Started Beatles Abbey Road:

Played a few seconds of the 1st track then skipped 15-20 seconds
Played about another 60 seconds then skipped to the 2nd track
While playing the 2nd track, skipped 15-20 seconds.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Hi @richard_rubenstein,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

For the last 10 minutes or so I’ve been playing Qobuz music on my ‘Media Room Sonos’ with all sorts of problems. I had just listened to the same music on ‘Media Room Bluesound’ and everything worked fine.

Hi @richard_rubenstein,

Do you have the time that this occurred in your local timezone? Generally what we are looking for here is a time like “7:53 AM EST”. Can you also provide the track that was playing?

Thanks!

Dylan,

This occurred from 8:50-8:53 EST:

Played Beatles ‘Abbey Road 96/24’ from Qobuz:

1. Skipped the first track (Come Together) entirely.
  2. Played about 60 seconds of ‘Something’ (the 2nd track) then skipped to the next track.
  3. Played 20 seconds of ‘Maxwells Silver Hammer’, stopped for abut 5 seconds and then restarted. Finished track.
  4. Played perfectly until 9:20 EST. Then I restarted from the beginning of the album.
    5.I restarted the album from the beginning. Started playing the first track, for about 20 seconds, then skipped to the second.
  5. Played a couple of tracks fine then on ‘Oh Darling’, skipped to the next track.
  6. Stopped at 9:34 EST

Sorry, I just noticed you wanted my local time zone which is central so the times in my time zone are one hour earlier (7:50-7:53, etc.)