Adding new Albums frequently results in skipped tracks (I/O failures) in the Library [investigating]

I get the impression that, since 1.3, adding new tracks to my library will frequently give rise to I/O failures.

In the past, to add new albums to my library, I’ve first downloaded or ripped CDs to a staging area, edited metadata if necessary, and then copied the album folders and contents over to my Watched Folder. This copy I have always done while Roon Core was running.

Since 1.3, I can almost guarantee that during the copy to the Watched Folder, at least one of the tracks will be marked as having an I/O failure, and end up in the Skipped Files list. This despite the fact that the files do seem to have been copied correctly.

If I stop Roon Core, and repeat the copy, then everything proceeds without a problem. Restarting the Core, and the files are successfully imported into Roon.

Am I supposed to stop Roon Core before adding albums into Roon, or is something amiss here since 1.3?

Edit: I should perhaps add that my Core is running on Windows 10 Pro.

1 Like

Hi @support. I’m getting some weird import issues since the 1.3 upgrade. Roon is only picking up a few tracks from each album I add to my music folder, showing “IO Failure” against the missing tracks in the “skipped tracks” window. However, if I restart Roon Server it picks everything up just fine. This is 100% repeatable, I’ve done it many times now. There’s nothing wrong with the disk, no errors reported at all in the OS…and anyway, as soon as I restart Roon Server everything magically appears. Very irritating though as I can’t import anything without a restart.

Any thoughts please? Cheers.

Hi Mark,
I’ve merged your post into this topic … it looks like both you and Geoff are seeing the same issue.

Hi @Carl - here’s another one…

1 Like

Dear Friends,

my hardware is a big portable PC ASUS with Windows Server 2012 R2 (extremely optimezed as music player, with a HI END external DAC. This PC is used only and exclusively to run Roon in Server mode, using a Windows tablet as remote controller.

Till yesterday before to upgrade Roon from first vers. 1.3 to last vers. 1.3 (200), all things were perfectly running, but from the moment I upgraded new version, I had following heavy problem.

When Roon is working (also if is in idle mode), if I load new music albums (all album’s tracks in a new folder) on my external Hard Disk drive (connected to PC via USB 3 port), or also via my private network LAN (the hard disk is shared on my lan) through a different PC, or also using the “drag and drops” function of Remote Desktop, it happens always, and I underline always, that more or less in half of transferred albums, for each album one or more tracks in Roon data base library are missing; generally in one album yes, and in following one no, and so onnce.

Also if in Roon I start the “rescan” function of the new acquired albums, these tracks never appear, also if in my Hard Disk are sure present, and I am absolutely sure, not corrupted.

If I delete these new albums from Hard Disk and also from Roon data base Library, and after I reload again the new albums, the problem appears again, but for sure, not necessarily with the same albums and with the same tracks; the missed tracks are random.

The only way to do so Roon reads without problem the news albums and updates correctly its data base, is to stop the Roon program (in my case the service, because I use Roon in Server mode), to load the new albums indifferentely in any way you prefer, and successively to restart again Roon service, waiting time all tracks are loaded in Roon library. In this way never it happens to find missing tracks in Roon data base library.

A second way to avoid this problems without to stop Roon service is to load the new albums in the hard disk connecting it to a port USB of a different PC, and after reconnecting it to the original PC.

It seems this problem appears only when new files are loading on hard disk, and contemporanely Roon begins to upload its database. It dont appear if the two processes are not contemporary.

Please let me know if there are solutions that I can get, if problem is due to me, otherwise try to discovery a solution to this bug.

Thank you and my best regards.

Thanks for the merge, happy to help with diagnosis if required.

I should add, Windows 10 here, but eagerly awaiting ROCK :grinning:

I have the same problem. It started with 1.3. Random Tracks (usally one track per Album) are/is missing after Import. If I edit the Tracks (change the ID Tags a little) and import the Album again to the Database sometimes all Tracks are imported. Othertimes a different Track is missing …

Same hier. Restarting the Server imports the missing tracks.

Hi. I am seeing exactly the same thing that’s being reported here. After installing 1.3 upgrade and I import music - I started to get IO errors when checking the “skipped tracks”. Restarting Roon makes it pick up those tracks/image files that had IO errors. This did never happened with the 1.2 version. I have ran tests on all that I can think of, knowing a drive might go bad when least expecting it. There’s nothing wrong with the files, as I say; they’re picked up fine after restarting Roon. The location of the files isn’t the problem either, no matter where I try import files from, this happens. If I close down Roon before I move the files to the import/watched folder, transfer the files - and then start Roon, this never happens. On my setup, if Roon is started when I do a file transfer to the watched folder, I end up with IO errors. Very annoying having to start/end Roon like this, because it shouldn’t be this way. And it wasn’t in version 1.2. Running Roon on a Core i7 machine, 32Gb memory, SSD as system drive. Main watched folder is located on an unRAID server in the same subnet. This is how it’s been since I started using Roon 1.2 - and before the upgrade, everything was 100% stable, ran without any problem whatsoever. Hoping this can be fixed, as it takes away some of the otherwise real nice experience Roon is capable of giving. Not a showstopper, but irritating.

I’m running roon core on a DS1515+. Have upgraded to 1.3 and the library is being imported. My log is full of the following error:

02/12 14:25:16 Critical: Library.EndMutation: LevelDb.Exception: IO error: /volume1/RoonServer/RoonServer/Database/Core/026b974e1c604af6a39cc8d0f3f3d4b8/broker_2.db/176449.ldb: Bad file descriptor
  at LevelDb.Database._CheckError (System.IntPtr err) [0x00037] in /home/roon/roon/LevelDb/leveldb.cs:907
  at LevelDb.Database.Write (LevelDb.WriteBatch batch) [0x00055] in /home/roon/roon/LevelDb/leveldb.cs:876
  at LevelDb.Transaction.Commit (System.Boolean trace) [0x00110] in /home/roon/roon/LevelDb/leveldb.cs:132
  at Sooloos.Broker.Music.MusicDatabase.Flush () [0x00119] in /home/roon/roon/Broker/Core/music/music_database.cs:2273
  at Sooloos.Broker.Music.MusicDatabase.EndMutation () [0x00000] in /home/roon/roon/Broker/Core/music/music_database.cs:2255
  at Sooloos.Broker.Music.Library.EndMutation () [0x00265] in /home/roon/roon/Broker/Core/music/music_library.cs:958

I don’t believe that music is actually being imported at this point, this error is just repeating…

I did reboot, and checked that I’m on the latest versions of roon 1.3 (build 200).

Any suggestions?

I’ve seen this a couple times with the first dsf track of an album. Moving the folder out and back in fixes the problem in my case.

Thanks guys. I think I’ve seen this too recently. We’re investigating.

1 Like

Yesterday i added an album to my library. 6 of 8 files were skipped. I/o error

I moved the folder , renamed it them i cleaned up my library then copied the folder back to the watched folder. And it was ok. Maybe it is related to this same problem

Confirming that version 204 appears to have resolved the issue that I experienced.

THANK YOU!

3 Likes

I thought the issue was resolved, but it happened to me again just now. I just added “Day Fever” by Dear Reader (great album btw!) and roon failed to pick up two of the tracks until I restarted it.

Is this still officially in [investigating] mode?

It has also just happened to me on v1.3 209… My Roon Server is a Windows 10 machine with storage folder on Synology NAS.

I have my storage folder organised by artist and then by album title in subfolders (I’m a bit OCD about this!);

ARTIST
ALBUM1
TRACK1.FLAC
TRACK2.FLAC
ALBUM2
TRACK1.FLAC
etc

When I first scanned the folder hierarchy with Roon it picked up everything no problem. But today I added three albums by different artists and I had to force a rescan for Roon to find them at all.

Two albums were added properly by the rescan, but one has only had three files (of 12 plus 1 pdf) imported into the library.

At first I thought the flac files might be corrupt but I re encoded them and they play fine. So I deleted the faulty album from the Roon library and the associated files, re-added the files and folders and re-scanned… same thing again. Only tracks 6, 10 and 11 are imported for the album.

Is there a workaround for this because I cant seem to get the files to appear no matter what I do?

OK just managed to sort this problem out, I’ll leave this here in case it helps anyone else…

I removed the album completely including deleting the folder and files from storage.

I restarted Roon Server

Copied the files and folders back to the storage location

Force a re scan of the whole library

Again only the same three files were populated in the Roon library.

But this time I restarted Roon Server again and they all appeared in the library after the restart. Odd.

@Tim_Rhodes - -can you post a screenshot of what you’re seeing in DSM under Control Panel > File Services > Advanced?

Hi Mike,

Yes for sure, here you go;

Sorry about this @Tim_Rhodes – I wasn’t clear here.

I’m looking for the advanced settings button under the SMB tab. It should look like this: