Album or tracks not imported or scaned

@support

Hi,
I have Roon Server running on Synology NAS.

I do not have this issue before. After importing 600+ album I started to have this issue, whenever I copied an album to the NAS, the library only shows 1 to 3 tracks or does not shows any the album at all. I need to do a force rescan in order for it to be shown.

Please advise anything I need to do.

Thanks.

“Scan when new tracks appear” does not work as predictably for NAS drives. However, you can set a shorter time between rescans in Settings, and you can always force a scan.

Hi @Mervyn_Lim ---- Thank you for the post and sharing your feedback with us, very appreciated! I saw you had raised the same observations in this thread but in the interest of not having duplicate posts/keeping all of your information in single place I will be addressing your comment(s) “here”.

As mentioned in my post here there are some known limitation in the way NAS drives report changes to the OS that Roon is running under and we have some idea on how we maybe able to get around this behavior in the future but for now I would recommend considering the advice offered in John’s post above. Either using a “force rescan” on your watch folder(s) OR shortening the rescan intervals in Roon.

What is the exact model of Synology NAS you are working with and how do you have the settings configured on the device?

-Eric

1 Like

Hi @eric,

I am using Synology DS1815+ and I have also set to SMB3.

Thanks.

Hi @Mervyn_Lim ----- Thank you for the follow up and verifying that information for me, very appreciated!

It sounds like you are doing everything correct here and it does feel like you are experiencing the mentioned limitation in my previous post, however there is something that is concerning me that I’d like to bring to your attention.

The Synology DS1815+ is making use of an Intel Atom C2538 2.4 GHz which can be the cause of performance issues as it is falling below our recommended specs. Additionally, based on what I have read about the device it does not come with an SSD installed is this true and if so have you installed one?

From the provided knowledge base link above:

While Roon Server will work fine on these slower CPUs, consequences of running on them potentially include:

Stuttering or dropouts in audio playback
Slow response for searching
Slow loading of artist, album, composer, and work pages
Longer startup and connection times for remotes
Slower audio analysis for normalization/crossfading/other
Slower import of new music

-Eric

Hi @eric, it does not come with a SSD and I did not installed it.

Thanks.

Hi @Mervyn_Lim ----- Thank you for the follow up and verifying that information for me.

If you intend to keep using the DS1815+ as your Roon core I would strongly recommend considering either installing an SSD in the unit OR using an SSD via an external enclosure for your Roon DB. Leaving your files on a spinning disk should have no consequences but I would not be surprised if you encounter performance issues with your core as your library grows.

Taken from the Roon knowledge base:

"Which NAS devices are supported

Most QNAP and Synology devices with a 64-bit Intel CPU and at least 2GB RAM are supported.

We strongly recommend 4GB of RAM and an SSD for the Roon databases. Your music files can be on spinning disks, but ideally the Roon database should be on an SSD. This one optimization can provide the single biggest improvement to Roon’s performance and user experience.

Sound Quality - Rule #4: “Don’t under spec the server”

"Slow servers, NAS’s, and network connections can affect sound quality by preventing the Output components from receiving audio in time. This can manifests as clicks, pops, dropouts, and static.

Both Roon and all RAAT outputs use strategically placed memory playback buffers to limit the impact of this sort of thing, but poor performance can still lead to behavior in the CPU or networking hardware as it handles the audio stream in fits and spurts.

Invest in your server components just like you would in your other gear, and remember that there is no downside to a Core i7 with a fan if you’ve got it located two rooms away from the listening area. Take a look at our hardware specs, and try not to come in below our recommended level, and especially, plan on using an SSD to store Roon’s databases.

-Eric

Hi Eric,
Is there any update on the future plans you had for this? I also have to force a rescan to get Roon to pick up anything outside of a regular update.
My files are stored on a Freenas box (HP Proliant Gen 8) and shared using SMB shares to my Room Core on a Mac Mini.
I can change my shares to NFS or some other protocol if you think that will improve things?
Cheers, Bob