Allo DigiOne board

yes thats correct. DOP is PCM and as such should have no problem, but I will double check on Monday

Thanks in advance for checking. DoP will work fine for me with the DAC Iā€™m trying to put into service using the DigiOne ā€” a Mytek Stereo192 DSD.

And thanks for the help, @JWC.

Any user reviews yet? And the expected shipping time to EU, still 28th?

I see that some Allo employees have Dutch names? No possibility to deliver me a DigiOne in Friesland this week?:wink: I pay cash and donā€™t need a invoice, and have cold beerā€¦

DOP tested fine by 2 different DACs

Iā€™ve just ordered a USBridge with Dietpi software. I plan to use it as a Roon Endpoint.

Do I need to have a monitor and keyboard to copy the necessary file (dietpi.txt) to get it work as a Roon Endpoint? The EMMC drive seems to be the boot drive. How do I copy Dietpi.txt on to it from either the Dietpi website or my Windows laptop? Iā€™m planning to run USBridge headless.

EU expected date of shipping is 24ā€¦digiOnes are on the way by FedEx

Super! Gonne place my order today.

Super Allo team! I ordered two isolators and a digione last week or so. Is the isolator also FedExd?
My setup will be:
pi3-isolator-Kali-i2s-dddac
Going to test a pi3-digione too keeping a isolator as spare for next systems to come :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! I was just thinking about that, and your answer was waiting for me. :smile:

Allo was kind enough to send me a DigiOne for review and here is a link to my impressions in a French forum: http://forum-hifi.fr/thread-4520.html

Well done Allo! I do not have high end transports to compare it to, and challenge Alloā€™s claims that it beats ā€œ5000 $ equipmentā€ but to me it provides a very natural and effortless sound, and is definitely letting me enjoy my music more than before!

1 Like

Hi Stephane,

from all public dataā€¦we donā€™t know of any spidif output that goes to less than 1ps. This is the basis of our claim.

Glad that you liked it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you @allo.com evolve on the bit where you wrote that AES is not a good medium for digital signals compared to SPDIF on coax?

1 Like

It has to do with hardwareā€¦if I remember correctly it needs a higher voltage that whats available on RPI. Basically you will need a switcher with all the noise that it has.

So its not that is a bad mediumā€¦just from a hardware point of view it will introduce noise .

Andre @allo.com kindly sent a sample of the DigiOne board for testing with my Piā€™s. It has been playing in my main system for a few days now ā€“ time for some (early) impressions. :smiley:

• It sounds really detailed / fine-grained
  • Nice definition in the lower regions
  • Highs are silky smooth ā€“ no trace of digital edges
  • Compared to the Hifiberry Digi+, it has a bit more sparkle (or: the Digi+ is slightly flatter)
  • Compared to a Bluesound Node 2, the Node has a bit more body but is also a bit more compressed; the DigiOne is a trifle airier and more extended

My system consists of a pair of Meridian DSP5200 speakers (2x SPDIF) with Blue Jeans cabling and a MiniDSP/Dirac room correction box added in for good measure, all fed by a Pi3/DigiOne with Aqvox LPSU.

I know, lots of bits and slights and trifles, but remember weā€™re not landing a man on the moon here: it is ā€˜justā€™ a digital transport. Do everything right though and youā€™ll end up with remarkable results: exactly what Allo appear to have achieved here.

Now please excuse me while Iā€™m off to some more music. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Ok I see, thanks for your answer.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Allo USBridge board

Hi @allo.com

Is the ALU case for the DigiOne coming in the next week, just like the USBridge?

And when will the fully assembled DigiOne with ALU case + Pi3 + DigiOne board, be offered for sale?

Perfect info - I was just about to ask whoā€™s using oneā€¦

I was pondering going back to an RAAT device as I miss good sync between my lounge hifi and kitchen (long story involving Devialet AIR). I donā€™t want to go back to a microrendu or other closed system, or spend loads of cash, (I still hold out hope for the upcoming Devialet streamerboard) so this seems tempting. Also there are lots of subjective comments from Devialet users that non-USB digital inputs are better in many circumstances, although itā€™s often said AES is the best. USB on the Devialet doesnā€™t play nicely when the machine comes out of standby either so spdif may be a good way to go.

Any other user comments from anyone?

I guess Iā€™d go BNC>phono or use a BNC>BNC with adapter one end. Any issues with this?

So I just need a Pi3 and the allo board, and a PSU and cable?

Iā€™ve seen lots of measurements posted by the Allo guys (or guy?) and this also gives me a to more confidence in the device over companies who make claims shrouded in secrecy with no data to back anything up (and sometimes it turns out no data has ever been taken even during development), so since theyā€™re so open to the details, Iā€™d be interested to hear whether they think the quality of the spdif makes any noticeable difference, or if a converter will lessen the quality of the signal. Iā€™m no expert but I hear it discussed often with no scientific data to back up.

Finall @RBM, what sort of case can you put it in? Can you use a generic pi case and drill holes for the connectors?

@hifi_swlon you could use a BNC to BNC cable and then use a BNC to XLR adapter if you want to use the AES input. Neutrik have adapters with transformer 75/110ohm or without.
I dont know if it is the AES input that is better on itā€™s own regardless of the signal or if it have to be AES3 format to get the best. Perhaps a streamer with S/PDIF out and use the AES input on a Devialet will be as good as a streamer with AES out I really dont know. As Devialet link cable between master and slave works with a cable with RCA to XLR without transformer I do think that this setup would work with a streamer aswell.

I dont own a Devialet anymore but the DAC I plan to get have both digital RCA and XLR input so my plan is to get the Allo Digione and run BNC to rca cable or perhaps use a transformer and use the XLR input if that sounds better.

1 Like

Good question. I donā€™t mind assembling but Iā€™m not a huge fan of that case style. I have an iqaudio one and the outboard screws and extra casing to accommodate make the thing so big! The beauty of the pi type devices is theyā€™re small.

1 Like