Allo USBridge board

yeap thats the one

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, OpenSSH is preinstalled with SSH access enabled, using the default root dietpi login. Local term is also available.

The current AlloGUI-v1 images (v156), contain all the changes listed in the v157 changelog.
Essentially, the image is v156.5 :slight_smile:

We have disabled installation of the web interface in dietpi-software, until further testing can be done with installation combinations. In the mean time, we offer the pre-installed AlloGUI images for installation.

Thank you @Dan_Knight, for your detailed answers.
Very good job !

2 Likes

@allo.com Hi Johan, Another difficult question on power supplies … Is Digione output “cleaner” than USBridge? I’ve never seen a comparison of the two.

I have a Chord Mojo and find USBridge to be a great investment to improve sound quality (and convenience - as with Shairport, i am finally laptop free). I also find the wifi dongle to give better sound quality than Ethernet (lots of folks on CA have commented that router/switch power supply could impact sound quality through Ethernet). Infact, i am now using the USB 3.0 port for the wifi dongle.

You mentioned that Allo will come out with its own power supply to improve audio quality of the USBridge. When is that planned? Have you ever tried Uptone LPS 1 ? Is it significantly better than Ifi Power ? Any insights here will be useful.

@Dan_Knight @allo.com

Hi Dan, Johan,

I just tried to flash the latest image and there are two issues that i have faced:

• eMMC Card Not Recognised : I plugged in the eMMC card into the Allo-provided adapter and inserted that into an SD card adapter. It did not appear in my computer. On the same laptop, my SD card was read by the same adapter, so i flashed the image on the SD card. Maybe my laptop cannot read the eMMC card or there is a problem with the adapter provided. Any suggestions?

• USB Wifi Dongle Setup : I plugged in the new image on the SD card and rebooted USBridge (Sparky). Everything seems to work well - the web interface is very nice and easy to maneuver. But, when i tried to configure the USB wifi dongle, i ran into a problem. i used SSH, went to Dietpi-Config to configure the wifi dongle. However, it shows a “hotspot mode” option only. I tried to stop this mode, but it wouldn’t. Unlike the previous version, i could not see any option to scan network either. So, in the end, i could not setup the wifi dongle and am back to the earlier version on my eMMC.

Is this a bug or am i missing a step in the configuration? Please advise.

Regards,

Gurpreet

Screenshots would help

Hi @Gurpreet_Kohli
I use Allo’s Dual PSU, it’s have two different connection of power out!
One for 5V and one for 19V, I only use the one that gives 5V!
But I shall buying the Allo VOLT+ WITH STEPPED ATTENUATOR (EU) that’s needs 19V.
I also only feed the USBridge with power and it’s sounds better than, when I was feeding both the USBridge and Sparky!
It’s a “little bit expensive” but cheaper than the Uptone LPS 1, I have compared the Dual PSU with ifi and the 5V adapter that comes with the USBridge!
The Allo Dual PSU sounds much better and it’s much better, since I removed the 5V PSU that is included and I used to Sparky!

So try to only feed the USBridge and not Sparky!
I think that you have a ifi 5V PSU, is I’m writhe or wrong?
If you have it try to only use it to the USBridge and nothing to Sparky, Okay!

Hi,

If the EMMC is not formatted, it will not show up in my computer. Does it show up in Etcher/Win32diskimager as a available drive?
Also, make the sure the EMMC is connected outwards from the adapter, eg:

You’ll need to remove the hotspot software, before scanning options are available:

dietpi-software uninstall 60
reboot

Scan should then be available in dietpi-config

The eMMC does not show up as a drive either in Etcher or Win32 diskmanager. I tried both. The eMMC already has Dietpi loaded ver 156. So, why does it need to be reformatted?

The eMMC is connected outwards. It won’t fit into the adapter the other way around.

So, what now?

I can uninstall the hotspot software on the SD card, but rather wait till the eMMC issue is sorted out. It is a pain to unpack the Sparky again and again. You guys need to figure out a simpler way.

Hi Anders,

I do not have the Ifi Ipower. But Johan recommended this over their own PSU.

I am using the included 5V psu feeding USBridge only. J28 jumper is in place.

I am looking for the best power supply, ideally only 5V. Uptone LPS 1 is highly rated and is quite expensive. If you are aware of something is close to 75% of its performance, but much lower in price, please let me know.

The SBooster PSU’s are cheaper than the LPS-1 and have a decent reputation.

1 Like

Also, according to UpTone, “LPS-1 is a single output, 1-amp linear power supply,” while according to Allo, “Please note that you can feed the Sparky separately with one PSU (5V / 2.0A) and USbridge HAT (5V / 100ma + whatever your DAC needs).” So, one might use an LPS-1 to feed the USBridge hat alone, but not the whole Sparky+USBridge combo.

2 Likes

Hi @Gurpreet_Kohli
I believe Johan refers it against the 5V psu that comes with the Allo USBridge package!
I have this Allo DUAL LLC PSU it’s great and cost
108 USD! And the $ is still low against the € so it’s 90-95€.
https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/dual-llc-psu.html

Hi Johan @allo.com and Dan @Dan_Knight
I wonder if the USBridge and Sparky have Bluetooth?
So it’s possible to connect it to my iPad/iPhone and listening to Roon through them in headphones?
Or if there’s any other way to get the music in Roon, from the USBridge/Sparky to my iPad/iPhone or a headphone amp with Bluetooth?

Best
Anders

Sparky doesn’t have bluetooth. However see here to play from Ipad/iphone

Hi Tony @Tony_Reimann

So with the iPeng app is it possible to play Roon in the iPhone/iPad?
What app is best for it (cheapest :smile:) witch one does you recommend to me?
Is it easy to configure?

Thanks for your help :pray:

Yes, that is exactly it. You need ipeng 9 and the in app purchase to allow playback on the idevice.

1 Like

I am presently traveling and will reply as soon as possible

1 Like

Hi @Gurpreet_Kohli I have not tried more expensive LPS units but I am getting awesome sound quality with two 5V iFi Power feeds into Sparky and USBridge respectively.

1 Like

Hi Johan @allo.com and Tony @Tony_Reimann
Thanks for the advice about iPeng I have both my iPhone and iPad working perfectly, with iPeng 9 and the Playing app that I needed to buy inside the iPeng app extra.
But it’s worth the money.

Johan answer when you can, I have sent you a message as well!

Best
Anders