Any thoughts of adding a Podcast section?

Can you maybe do a quick and dirty beta option and just add this link in Roon ?

Maybe there are similar services. I just did a google search for “finding podcasts”.

My main reason for the request is I don’t have any other way to route podcast (or any internet stream) through my stereo. Roon is my only option.

Is this easy to implement as a beta ? It would be very helpful to all of us that would like to have this possibly.

Also, I noticed the service has an API interface. If a developer would like to use Roon API, can he/she also send streams back to Roon, or isn’t that how Roon API is working?

1 Like

This is a nice solution. You could also define a bookmark on your podcast folder selecting it as source in focus. So you would not anymore have to tag the podcasts one by one.

I’d love podcast support too!

1 Like

+1 for podcasts

1 Like

“+1” posts don’t sway things.

If you want to add your vote - click the Vote button at the top of the thread - that’s what counts as a vote…

Roon Labs very rarely comment on requests, all that is certain is that the development team of Roon Labs read all these Feature Requests and note them.

2 Likes

Agree podcasts would be a great addition. I just want all my audio in one app, right now it’s a total workaround. I’m sure the Roon team will implement in a faithful manner, as they always do!

Thanks Geoff, never realised that is how to vote, have done so accordingly.

2 Likes

My first reaction was No based on thinking how Spotify implemented this (controlled by Spotify, forced advertising). Spotify has co-opted a community publishing model. We can debate whether Joe Rogan contributed to that.

But I am coming around to Podcasts being a valuable music discover source and/or another stream of audio entertainment. Music lovers should check out Broken Record with Rick Rubin and Cocaine and Rhinestones with Tyler Mahan Coe.

I don’t think I would use Roon as a podcast player, but I can see the attraction.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, the idea that music can only exist in a traditional LP/CD style album format feels quiet quaint in 2022.

So much of the music I listen to nowadays comes in non traditional formats like Mixcloud streams and archived online radio shows like NTS.

Even if Roon didn’t initially support RSS feeds and downloading, at the very least allowing those longer and episodic formats to be better handled within Roon would be a good start.

1 Like

+1 +1… +1…

good lord, what a slow moving company this is… it’s actually painful to try to keep up enthusiasm for topics and features year over year… but, we soldier on because… we like to listen :smiley:

2 Likes

@dtich - precisely. We like to listen. Whatever the source. Most of us have spent considerable sums on audio. Let’s not be too purist about audio quality either in the case of podcasts. I wonder if Roon are consider partnering with a podcast aggregator? it could be branded as Roon Approved. Then it can be referred to as RoonCast!

Some of the most essential talks are happening on podcasts there’s no denying that.
They became so important its almost a crime against humanity to not even consider it.
Implication here would be video capabilities as I can imagine, but I would happy welcome audio at least.
As for the voices against, I could emphasise with, therefore simple visibility setting should suffice.

Not in my field and not in my country

Not to me or my context

Really, with all that’s going on?

1 Like

And there it is, the Pandora’s box of the podcast requests.

1 Like

+1 adding Pocket Casts would be great. Thanks

+1 for podcasts!!!

A podcast section is a great idea. But if you do, surely you will eventually want to be able to search for podcasts that you added more than 4 years ago, by date added. You can’t do that at the moment due to a major design flaw. Go here to vote for a fix:

Yes please podcast ON: Roon should be the platform for everything music radio podcast.

A big +1 of my support for podcasts. Roon’s ability to transfer from one room to the next or playback in multiple zones would be a game changer for podcast listening. So excited about the potential here

1 Like

+1 replies don’t count - you need to add your vote by clicking the Vote button at the top of the thread… Thanks.