ARC Not ready - COX Communications

ARC not connecting. I got a top-level ISP support person to go through the router settings for me and checked all the issues I found in other support threads and troubleshooting guide the app directs me to. I also shared the Roon error message below with him. I did not get any follow up from Roon on a previous post I made on this issue, however I reached out to COX today in an attempt to move forward. See details below.

This is the info from the Roon/ARC app below. I confirmed that upnp is enabled and disabled it and re enabled. no change.

{“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“x.x.x.x”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}}

My setup:
Cox Communication ISP
Netgear Nighthawk RAX45
Netgear CM 1100 Modem
Running on ROON Core Kit and Lumin S1 Streamer most of the time or various Bluetooth sources.

Response to these question from Cox Communications
Have you implemented carrier-grade NAT for my account level?
Answer: NAT is Open

Have you fully implemented IPv6, or do you have IPv4 addresses available?
Answer: Using IPv4 via router

Can I request a static IPv4 address to support port forwarding?
Answer: Tried static IP and the Roon Core would not connect to network, reverted back to Dynamic

Are there any ports you have reserved at the ISP level I should be aware of?
Answer: No

There are two ports set up for Roon in the router settings, 9100-9200 open forwarded, and 9003 open forwarded

The tech support person was very helpful and thorough and seemed confident there was no port blocking or anything on their end that is causing the issue.

Please provide further troubleshooting steps I can try.

@Brian_Runge, the port forwarding diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that UPnP is not properly configured on your router or not working correctly. In addition, it would be helpful if you provided the external_ip from the diagnostics message; only the first segment is displayed, so this can’t pinpoint your network.

Incidently, you do not need a static IP4 address; a dynamically allocated address will also work.

Please try the following steps in order:

• Reboot your Roon Core and networking gear (router, modem, switches, etc.)
  • Try to enable UPnP/NATPMP in the web administration interface for the router
  • Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Try to update your router firmware
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode and if not, try to place into Bridge mode

If you continue to experience difficulties, please tag the support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?

Thanks!

Already tried the suggestions you provided.
No VPNs or firewalls on my NUC only Roon software.
Router is up to date
Bridge mode not the issue here

The good news however, I did ask the tech person about the default 55000 port in Roon not matching 9100-9200, or the 9003 open ports for Roon in the router and he didn’t think that should be an issue?

After your reply I reset the port in the Roon app- ARC tab to 9100 to match the router and the test was successful. So, I think I’m good to go. Will test remotely soon, but the app shows Ready.

Thank you for quick response

You need to see which port Roon ARC is using and create a “pinhole” for it. I think the default is 55000, but mine uses 55002. Those other port numbers you mentioned are for Roon, not Roon ARC.

In Roon, go to Settings - Roon ARC and see.

1 Like

You shouldn’t be using this port for ARC; 9100 is used by your Core and Roon Remotes, i.e., devices on your home network.

If you have opened ports 9100-9220, and 9003 on your router, close them. Only port 5500 should be open and forwarding to your Core.

1 Like

Great, more confusion. You mentioned 55000 which is my default in the ARC tab, and you mentioned 5500 open and forwarding, did you mean 55000?

Can you please give me a little more guidance on what you are suggesting I do. I am not savvy in these router related matters.

I guessing you are suggesting deleting one of the two service names I posted above and edit the other one to show External Ports 55000. Should Internal Port be the same? Please advise.

Leave those alone for now. Add a pinhole for 55000 or whatever you see when you go to Roon - Settings - Roon ARC. You can name it anything you want, but Roon ARC so you remember what it’s for.

Thanks, I don’t know what a pinhole is? Do you for me to add a new Service name? Should external and internal be equal?

This what I did. I Deleted the other two (I guess ISP guy added those when trouble shooting) and added the Roon ARC Service Name.

ARC app was “Ready” with 9100 port setting but showed a “poor connection” message in the ARC app. I still see that message in the ARC app with the updated settings while at home near the core and the router using Wi-Fi with a fast ISP service. Any help on that?

My router had the 9100-9200 and 9003 port forwarding put there by an install of Roon. I did not put them there myself.

A pinhole is just another name for port forwarding.

My Core is working fine after the deletions. I was trying to follow Martins message. I guess I lost his attention. Thank you for your input. Have you ever seen the “Poor connection” message in your ARC app?

Yes, very often.

Ok, so that is common. That’s good to hear. I just got it synced during this thread and have not attempted using it away from home. Will it work on cell data when " Poor connection" message is displayed?

Or Wi-Fi away from home?

Turn off your phone’s WIFI and test it.

1 Like

Good idea…

Will not play music with Wi-Fi off or On. New trouble shooting project. Fun…

Things I learned today (port assignments for Core/Remotes), thank you Martin.

1 Like