Arcam ST60 Roon Ready Not certified [resolved: it is now]

Mine died during upgrade. it upgraded image version to 1.08 but note network and display was 0.51. I wounder if the tested it before releasing it.

Did you try upgrading again?

Also remember you have to Reset Network and Reset System after the update is done!!

said networ reset for over 1 hour. Network isn´t there it did work and sound amazing in roon for 2 days :stuck_out_tongue:

Same here. Mine died during upgrade. Network reset didn’t work, st60 did now show any IP etc. Had to leave it with dealer, hope it will be sorted out soon…very frustrating

1 Like

I friend here in sweden had the same problem so his i also back at the dealer.

Mine almost died during firmware update. After firmware update was done, the front led was blinking red for like 10 mins so I decided to power it down. Then turned it on and screen was white then black and led flashing red. Waited for a few mins and it started booting alone. After booting I got a message of “Update Failure” and screen was glitchy, like double lines and a few other glitches but System info was showing the newer firmware update (0.69 and v1.08) so then I reset network and system and now all is working normally.

I did contact Arcam support to ask for the image.swu file to re-flash the firmware again and here is the response I got:

Worst update ever? why would someone disable usb update?

Puts me off buying one reading all this. I like my Chromecast audio dongle!

2 Likes

Did any of you guys with dead ST60s got a solution? Mine is performing well even that I had some issues while updating the firmware. ARCAM website is now showing the ST60 as Roon Certified but they pulled out the new firmware PDF. I think a lot of customers bricked their ST60s so most likely a new firmware could be on the way and maybe with USB option.

Hope all the folks moaning about no RR status for Hegel are watching this thread :man_shrugging:. Be careful what you wish for.

So this unit is ‘designed’ in such a way that it will happily accept a firmware update that will be fatal for it?

Well, Apple have been doing this for years so it is quite possible.

Fair point, but not exactly progress it it? When some manufacturers claim ‘Designed in ‘Country’ manufactured in China’ I am sceptical about how much design actually goes on in country when situations like this occur.

I am wishing when RR comes to Hegel, that it is perfect.

ARCAM offers a 5 years warranty so I’m not even worried. If a firmware update bricks it, take it to your dealer and you will get fixed it of a brand new unit. Unless you life depends on a piece of electronic equipment, it shouldn’t be a big deal.

Update: Old V813 firmware is up again in ST60 website. I would recommend those with bricked ST60s trying re flashing the unit with the old V813 firmware via USB.

1 Like

As someone who likes the Roon/Qobuz combination, likes his two Chromecast Audios, and likes the Arcam AVR 450 that we use one of them with (the other is in my small home office on a vintage Cambridge Soundworks), I’ve been interested in the ST60 for a while as a possible future option.

Can I just check that I’ve understood these last few postings right. It sounds to me like

i) a firmware update is needed for older ST60s to be made Roon Ready (presumably the new ones already have it).

ii) this update can brick the ST60 if done by USB so Arcam have decided to do it over the air only [Arcam support quoted in message 185].

iii) the update is nonethless failing on some ST60s so owners are then having to have it done by dealers (I don’t fully understand what they can do that home users can’t-do they have to do a USB reinstall of the old version, then a reinstall of the new one ?).

iv) the firmware on Arcam’s site has been reverted to the previous version for now. Would it thus be correct to say that the ST60 is “Roon Ready if/when the update works for you”.

Confirmation or clarification will be welcome as I am considering quite a few other options, some of them mentioned above, but also things like a Mac mini M1, the Cambridge Audio streamers etc. I’m not in a hurry …

i) a firmware update is needed for older ST60s to be made Roon Ready (presumably the new ones already have it).

R: No need to update the firmware. Mine was Roon Ready with firmware V813 which is the one that came with my ST60 purchased back in January 2021 and it’s the one available right now at ARCAM website. What the new firmware does is basically make the ST60 DSD ready and change the Roon ready logo.

ii) this update can brick the ST60 if done by USB so Arcam have decided to do it over the air only [Arcam support quoted in message 185].

R: You can’t do this update by USB because is not even available for download. Also this firmware was designed only work OTA. ARCAM will release a new firmware in a next few weeks that is going to work via USB and Network.

iii) the update is nonethless failing on some ST60s so owners are then having to have it done by dealers (I don’t fully understand what they can do that home users can’t-do they have to do a USB reinstall of the old version, then a reinstall of the new one ?).

R: None of the owners of bricked ST60s has reported yet what their dealers are doing to fix the issue as there is not currently an USB firmware available from ARCAM.

iv) the firmware on Arcam’s site has been reverted to the previous version for now. Would it thus be correct to say that the ST60 is “Roon Ready if/when the update works for you”.

R: My ST60 running latest firmware is Roon Ready and also was Roon Ready when it was running the previous firmware which is the one currently posted in ARCAM’s website.

Thanks very much … glad I asked

Arcam Support sent me an email to update ST60 via USB through files they put on dropbox. I shared this with my dealer and they installed it. It’s working fine as Roon Ready now, thankfully. My understanding is that a USB update will be forthcoming to avoid this glitch…

Glad to know ARCAM took care of your ST60 issue. What firmware version is now showing your ST60? Could you please post a photo of your System Info screen?