Are dropouts inevitable? Is any number tolerable? Just bought whole new system

My money is betting your good to go. :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m really pleased to hear it. Orbi and Eero both e good kit.

Thereā€™s no way to be sure that you are permanently ā€œgoodā€, but youā€™ve proven to yourself that you can diagnose and solve an issue. And you have a better (if, like mine, imperfect) understanding of first principles to go back to. Twice in my ~4 year Roon journey Iā€™ve had ā€œregressionsā€ meaning that my audio performance started getting worse as yours did. Both were network related. Once I had introduced a bad ā€œloopā€ and had created a network storm that was unnoticeable to anything else on my network but which caused Roon to hiccough. Took me weeks to figure out what was going on, and a moment to fix. It was all ā€œon meā€. Another time, I made a few network setting changes that inadvertently & unbeknownst to me resulted in me going back to my ISPs DNS servers. That again took weeks because that was inconceivable to me that what Iā€™d done would result in that change. So now I diet of have a mental checklist of crap that can go wrong.

Tbh, I really do wish Roon had more passive instrumentation on home network performance built into it so it would just warn you as opposed to you experiencing it. And they could monitor the profiles of all users in aggregate. From my perspective the service is a delicate one where they are in a sense operating hybrid infrastructure inside your home and in the cloud. And they have increased their ability to do active monitoring by putting logs on request. But if wishes were nickelsā€¦

Anyways, glad youā€™re up and running again, and next time you run into issues, reread this thread and take a second to think about what might have changed is my advice. Happy music!

Hear, hear! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yes, that would be nice.

Sounds like a pretty good Feature Request ā€¦

Which port is setup for Roon, how many and which endpoints are connected, Internet up, IP addresses.

All in one place.

I could go on and on.

ā€“MD

1 Like

I would like such a dashboard too but I kinda get why they donā€™t offer it. Audiophiles can be quite OCD about their systems. There will be people who donā€™t hear anything wrong but will the moment they see a stray error or two on the ā€œdashboardā€ thus causing a huge uptick in complaints. I guess they figure let problems get to the point of audibility.

2 Likes

very valid point

Yes but Roon could use this to its advantage, with dashboard switch settings for:

• Blacker Blacks
  • Higher Highs
  • Lift That Veil!

Despite protestations from Roon that these switches do nothing, it would not stop a certain section of users from claiming increased SQ.

1 Like

:joy:

or the other way around, claiming decreased SQ

1 Like

Service Status dashboards and diagnostics have been requested many times before.

At the very least, Roon should flash up a warning at startup if your Core is connected via WiFi, stating that this could cause performance issues.

1 Like

I actually re-purposed the cable TV coax already strung in my new house, using MoCA. Ethernet, after all, ran first over coax. Works well, at full speed, if youā€™ve found and removed all the subpar cable splitters. Which is sometimes tough to do, as they can be inside the walls.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll also mention this post, because I think itā€™s worth noting:

2 Likes

Running wires can be challenging but I believe it is necessary. Even if you have to pay someone, it is a 1 time expense which the end results can be very gratifying. Wi-Fi will almost always be needed for remotes but endpoints if you can set it up hardwired is the way to. I can understand those in rentals have their hands tied and have no choice but to go Wi-Fi.

ā€“MD

1 Like

Noted w/ thanksā€¦

I had Roon & Tidal running nearly all of yesterday and did not have any drop-outs. And this was while my kids (home from college) were playing video games with friends over the internet. So Roon was working flawlessly while our ā€œintranetā€ was under stress.

So for the time being, the Core connected to the nearby Orbi via ethernet seems to be doing the trick. ā€¦But if the dropouts return, Iā€™ll probably have someone come and run ethernet cable. ā€¦Not crazy about the idea of spending yet another $4-500, but drop outs are as annoying as a canker sore.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.