Art Director: logos are not good for avatars

You are of course correct, I went through and checked every image I had added to my artists, only one had changed to Valence (and it had to be the one I looked at first of all), I can only think I made a mistake somewhere along the line with that artist.

My apologies, would it be better if my post was removed?

2 Likes

I’m not happy seeing all the artist photos become logos. If they were all logos, it would be ok I guess, but the mixture of logos and photos looks really bad, IMO.

I don’t want to have to personally edit each artist to prevent this. Can’t we have some middle ground that does not impose extra work on the users? I think the suggestion by the OP to have a third metadata type for logos was a good one.

2 Likes

In my collection, I see logos for individuals: Joan Jett, Robert Johnson (!), Isaac Hayes, Thom Yorke, and others.

We had a security problem, and it is being resolved.

The problem was that votes were meant to be 1 per account, but they were instead 1 per profile, and someone was voting with multiple profiles in an effort to go logo-only.

We have removed their extra votes and are fixing the issue.

That said, if the popular vote ends up voting for logos, it could happen again. Vote for the photos by using the heart icon if you prefer photos over logos.

2 Likes

These were all upvoted by the offender in question, and have been removed. Give a bit for your cache to update.

1 Like

Because what good is a system if you can’t cheat it?

I do not envy you announcing whatever the final tally results in.

1 Like

Thanks Danny. Really appreciate the fast response.

1 Like

The problem with this is really simple

De gustibus non est disputandum

each has his own taste, one prefers logos, the other doesnt

i really think Roon needs to reconsider a third metatype for logos so each user can toggle between artist pics or logos

this would be so awesome as user experience, and this will stop the logo - picture war in the voting…

There is no war. It was one terrorist and the work has already been undone and the hole plugged.

2 Likes

I do not agree here. I keep seeing logos appearing in my artist pane, which had perfectly good pictures before. Heck I even saw logos of labels instead of the artist?!? (Concord Dawn for instance had the logo for the Commercial Suicide label - obviously taken from their facebook account - but still totally wrong!) and I keep upvoting the artists in stead of the logos…

I really don’t like the mix up in pictures and logos in the artists page, and I see a lot op people posting the same (or other way around when they prefer the logos)

1 Like

50% or more of the userbase isn’t going to like the final result.
I’d like what I want. Unfortunately, it seldom works out like that for me. I hate images of orchestras. 300 dots of what must be people taken from the Hubble telescope to fit them all in.
Others think logos look tacky. In many places they may be.
I’d bank on the COO getting flamed more than thanked.
My $0.02

1 Like

I feel exactly the same:

that’s why I suggested a separate picture type for logo avatars: then you could have a toggle between picture / logo avatar and choose yourself if you wanted pictures or logos for avatars…

2 Likes

Agreed - I suggested the same …but there seems to be a lot of faith in ‘the crowd’. I just don’t see an exit here that doesn’t leave at least some people disappointed in relation to this specific issue. That said, my solution for now is to try to avoid using this screen - I generally prefer browsing by album anyway!

2 Likes

Roon seeks Art Directors: “all applicants accepted, no experience required”.

This is less crowd sourcing and more tragedy of the commons.

Either you don’t know how Art Director works or you don’t know what tragedy of the commons means… or you do and are just griefing/trolling.

The goal is to crop and “pick”, using popular opinion to decide what’s best. It’s based on the wisdom of crowds. No individual gets to decide on their own what gets chosen. They definitely don’t get to set rules and there is no resource depletion.

It is absolutely crowd sourcing, and some experience is required to crop, but that experience is something you get when you are like 6 months old: the ability to detect “important stuff”, like faces.

Voting requires an opinion, that’s it. Your opinion can’t be wrong, but it can be popular (or not).

1 Like

Seems to me, some people are over-reacting to this whole Roon Valence thing. We’re not cropping and choosing images to be printed on 10,000,000 album covers. We’re choosing what we want to see when listening to music using Roon. I think the group consensus is as good a way to do it as any. To me, it’s not that important anyway. However, I would prefer to see an artist face versus the top of his or her head. I would like to see all four Beatles instead of 2 1/2 of them.

4 Likes

That’s the problem, People are taking it too personally. We are actually voting for what we would like to see. We aren’t choosing anything as such, but people think they are. So when their ‘chosen’ image doesn’t get the popular vote and doesn’t appear in their copy of Roon, it leaves a bad taste.

As a group, we are choosing what we want to see.

Danny, I understand the definitions I used and I am not a troll. I believe you presented some false choices and accusations there. I simply think the process is poorly conceived, and perhaps predictable so.

1 Like

I too have 2,5 Beatles in the avatar (or 3,5 Beatles on my phone). In another post, it was reported that:

• there are bugs related to some avatars that don’t update well (small avatars as far as I can see, the “big” Beatles avatar has all fab fours)
  • Narrow banner - which is used on phones - is not yet functional, it was supposed to be rolled out before Christmas but “QA found issues”. So bands on phones are still slaughtered (check ZZ Top, Led Zep, Kiss,
    So there are bugs that hopefully are going to be fixed soon.