Artist Page crashes Roon macOS client

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Server: Intel Nuc, Ubuntu Sever, Roon 1.8 (build 756)
Client: Macbook Pro 16", Roon 1.8 (build 756)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Server is on ethernet, client is on wifi, Netgear R7000P

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

KEF LSX, on ethernet

Description Of Issue

A couple of days ago my macOS client occasionally started crashing when navigating to an artists page. It was happening consistently for a while (start Roon, click on link to artist page, wait for spinning beach ball, wait for Force Quit dialog to show Roon as Not Responding, quit, repeat), but then I tried again a couple of hours later it would suddenly work. I thought it was perhaps just a glitch so I did not report anything.

Yesterday I experienced the issue again, but this time, when re-opening the application after force quitting, it tries to open the same page again, leading directly to a crash. As a consequence I can no longer open and use Roon on my mac.

I recorded a video of the original issue intending to report it and will record another video of this issue. Please let me know if they can be of use.

Thank you in advance.

I reported a similar issue:

Might be the same root cause?

That looks completely similar. Thanks for linking the threads Oliver. I searched briefly for similar reports but apparently wasn’t thorough enough.

I have uploaded the video that shows how the crash occurs on my machine CleanShot 2021-02-22 at 11.24.42 · CleanShot Cloud
It takes a little while for the app to be reported as not responding, but the spinning beachball happens quite quickly, although it is not visible in the video.

Do you have another Roon controller (iPhone iPad or another Mac)? I can access the artist screen with the issue on my other devices without problem.

So for me it seems the problem is kind of “linked” to one device but not to my other devices.

Well let’s wait what the Roon team will find out. For the moment I avoid the problematic artist screen. :slight_smile:

Yes, everything works fine from iPad and iPhone :slight_smile:

But the macOS app is currently unusable. It crashes straight on startup, since it opens to an artist page.

Other than that everything else is working great for me and I absolutely love the new 1.8 update :smiley:

I had the same - Roon.app hung up right at startup. My workaround to use Roon.app again on my iMac was:

I had only one Tidal album by this artist in my library. So I unfavored this album in the Tidal App. Then I started Roon.app successfully and added the album again to my library. Going to the artist page Roon.app hung again.

So I repeated above steps and am now avoiding the problematic artist.

Not a solution - but for me it was a workaround to use Roon.app again.

I just tried what you suggested, but no luck … the application still hangs. Glad that I can still use my other devices.

You mention that you are also using other devices. Is one of those a mac that is able to access the artist that crashes your other mac?

Yes - the same version of Roon.app on my MacBook has no issues.

@Johan_Friis you can follow my attempts to repair this issue over at the other thread:

Thank you for doing the hard work Oliver. I did as you did, let the Roon client recreate it’s system folder, and it’s now working again :+1:

Hurray :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.