Audio device not being seen at Roon app

New Roon user here. I am using a Roon Server on my Synology DS1515+ NAS and that is being recognized fine. I am using a Windows 10 PC for the Roon app and that is working fine except when I log in I am having a tough time recognizing my MSB Select DAC with Renderer module connected to the network. I have to go through various power on and off and open and close the app. Is there a way for it to be remembered. Also what is the preferred sequence. Should the DAC be on prior to opening the Roon App or the other way around?

It is advisable to power up your DAC before loading the Roon app to allow time for the Core to find the DAC in your network. This is worth trying but there may be other issues.

It just does not want to find the DAC. It played fine last night after a number of power up and down to find the DAC but I tried it again today and it just doesn’t want to locate it. Is there a way for it to search for it or poll or tell it what it is looking for??? MSB is one of your partners I thought this would be easier.

Sounds like a network discovery problem.

I’ve moved your topic to the support section of the forum.
In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Likely a network discovery issue. Whats the topology of your network and the makes models of the devices used. Roons discovery can easily get blocked by settings on a router that relate to multicast and IGMP.

Great minds.

1 Like

If you’ve not already tried and while waiting for the support response, it’s worth rebooting your router, then the core (…& DAC) as networks can be very “quirky” and often a simple solution will resolve issues & there’s nothing to lose by “having a go.”

I will try that. I ran dedicated CAT 8 lines today from the NAS (Synology DS1515+ to the router. I have another CAT 8 line running from the MSB Select DAC directly to the router. There are no switched in the way.

It still was not connecting. So I accessed the router and I Enabled Zero Discover on Advanced- Device Discover on my router, Xfinity, to try to get the MSB to work. This seems to have worked. I am not sure since it is only one time but I will keep the setting for now and see what happens. Please let me know what you think. Thank you for your help.

Hello @Ed_Hilston, and glad things are working again! I’ll keep an eye on this thread, please let me know if the problem starts again.

I am still having issues with my MSB Select DAC being seen by my Roon Synology Core or more explicitly the Roon App is not shouing it as a audio device most of the time. It is hit or miss and mostly miss. I have run dedicated CAT 8 line from my router to my Synology DS1515+ and from my router to my MSB DAC. There are no switched inbetween. When I open Roon my library is seen right away but my DAC is not seen in the audio list. I have had to turn my DAC off and then on again numerous times to get Roon to see it. It eventually does but I am wondering if I am going to ruin my DAC by turning in on and off so many times. Once it is seen it seems fine for the day as long as I do not run the DAC or Roon off. It really is not an enjoyable experience. Tonight I have not been able to get it to reconize after many, many tries. I am giving up for this evening. No music tonight. Very disapointed.

If you have any suggestions I am open to hearing them. Thank you

Worth a quick check, is Zero Discover still enabled? Sometimes these things mysteriously reset themselves.

Hello @Ed_Hilston, looks like your DAC can also be connected via USB, could you connect it to the core and let me know if the issue still occurs?

The core is in a different room and I don’t have a USB cable that long. I will try to make it happen though. Not sure when though. Thanks.

Can you give me preferred router settings for Roon? Thank you!

PixelPopper, good call, Zero “Config”, not Discover (I had that wrong) was not enabled, even though I saved it. Thanks for the call on that. I also had to turn off my IPv6 Firewall. Once I did both of these it came up. I am not confident that this will be my only needed fix since this has been an issue for over a week but I will keep trying and report back. Thank you

Nuwriy, I enable Zero Config which was was not enabled, even though I enabled it before and saved it. I also had to turn off my IPv6 Firewall. Once I did both of these it came up. I am not confident that this will be my only needed fix since this has been an issue for over a week but I will keep trying and report back. Thank you. I am not a network person so any suggestions on settings is appreciated.

PixelPopper, I am not a network person so if you have suggestions regarding the setup I am open to hearing them Thanks for your help! Listening and enjoying!

Ed, I would be inclined to give it a while & see what happens, the problem may already be resolved.

I’ll keep an eye on this thread.

cheers, for now.

Thank you! I hope you are right.

Hi Ed, another thought & something to try when Roon is working satisfactorily, turn your ipv6 firewall back on as security is paramount. If that causes problems then disable it and try support again.