Audio file loading slowly since Devialet RAAT

Interesting news:
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-UK-event-with-Mathieu-Pernot-17-July?pid=85585#pid85585

@support - I hope you can help Mathieu and his team to reproduce and fix the issue.

2 Likes

@danny Think this should be really addressed quickly as it shades no good light on either brand when this kind of statement is made in the public.
And furthermore this is a major bug affecting a considerable amount of users.

1 Like

John has indicated above that it isn’t related to Roon RAAT outside that Roon RAAT is a heavier protocol , yet now Devialet says Roon isn’t helping. There is only one company that looks bad IMO, and history continues to repeat itself with them.

Roon has bailed Devialet in the past when it chose to integrate the AIR protocol. Devialet struggled to release an AIR driver that worked properly. But I doubt there’s anything Roon can do with this short of perhaps facilitating an analysis of the problem with the hope that certain routers or network configurations could, in fact, circumvent the problem better than using wireless or a 100 mbps network speed.

I find Mr. Pernot’s response disappointing and sadly lacking. This clearly is a problem that many customers of Roon and Devialet are experiencing. To simply state that Devialet cannot reproduce it conveys (to me) a lack of effort to discern the factors that are causing it. Sure, it may very well be a problem caused by certain routers or network configurations, but given that so many Devialet Expert Pro owners have encountered it, it’s hard to imagine that it cannot be duplicated and further investigated. I’d happily purchase a different router if I knew for certain that it would fix it. But, I strongly suspect the problem lies within Devialet’s OS/firmware (I’ve heard of no other RAAT endpoints experiencing a similar problem).

So, yes, this is a disheartening response from Devialet and leads me to suspect we may not see a resolution from them.

1 Like

Agreed. I find it strange that forums are full of similar reports, but “Devialet cannot reproduce it“. Someone is telling porkies, or just not trying…

Roon @support, I do hope you’ll weigh in here on this issue. I understand there may be nothing you can do to fix this issue for those of us experiencing it - particularly if it is Devialet firmware/OS related. But given that you list Devialet as a Roon Ready partner, it would be great if you could convey any insight garnered as to why some Devialet owners are having no problems streaming via RAAT over a gigabit network with hi-res content while many others of us are. Have you had any success in reproducing the problem? Identifying factors that affect this issue? If a router issue, are there routers that you know circumvent the problem?

I, for one, have tried numerous different network configurations, cables and RoonServer hardware to no avail. But switching from gigabit network speed to fast ethernet (100 mbps) seems to work - at least most of the time. The one thing I have not done is to purchase a different router, which I would gladly do if I knew it would resolve the issue.

Any insight is appreciated (even if it’s not what we want to hear :wink:

1 Like

I’m mystified by the inability to reproduce it as others are, and disappointed that those of us that have the problem don’t seem to bring reached out to as test subjects. I’m reminded very much of the old white noise air problem, that was supposedly not reproduce in house for a long time, and a small number of people who seemed unaffected throughout. I tried all sorts with my network to make it work, with zero luck, but firmware that fixed it really did fix it and for most people.
In IT support its common to try to reproduce in-house as a first step, but if you cannot there is no substitute for going out and seeing the problem first hand, armed with test kit and alternative kit. The point for staying in the office had been well passed with this bug, they need to go out and see it in the wild.

Still no reply on that from @support ? :worried:

To many this is a major bug - and I am quite worried that obviously Devialet & Roon play Ping Pong who is responsible for it. And there is still no solution after months or even an appropriate feedback of the status.

Roon has been gathering information about the systems that have the problem. Knowing the Roon guys, they’re just chipping away at the problem until it’s fixed. I’m sure if they had given up they would tell us.

Keeping my fingers crossed. It’s just that people don’t know who is in charge and what is going on - also meaning does Roon need further input, logs, testing etc by users or are they aware what is causing the bug and working on the fix.

The silence from both Roon and Devialet on this is a bit deafening. So I’ve got two questions for @John

1. Back in March you indicated “…Significant progress has been made in isolating the factors and variables that could be causing some users to experience issues…” Can any of that be shared with us? The fact that some customers have not experienced this problem while many of us have would seem to indicate that there is something we can do (other than using wifi or a 100 mbps network speed). Perhaps better understanding the cause can help us self-diagnose our home setup to resolve it.

2. A bit over a month ago you indicated that it is not a Roon RAAT issue and that you’re waiting to hear an update from Devialet. Have you heard from them? Are you actively working with Devialet on this? Bottom line, is this a problem that only Devialet can resolve?

I hope you can see how many of us experiencing this 5+ month old problem are a bit dismayed and confused. I am not interested in pointing fingers but any insight on the problem and how (if?) it can be addressed would be most welcome.

Hello All,

We understand the frustration being expressed by many of you in this thread and we share in your disappointment that this issue is yet to be resolved. Our goal here at Roon Labs is to enrich people’s lives with the best music playback experience in the world, not to frustrate users with cryptic error messages and network troubleshooting.

In April, we reached out to Devialet with the results of our testing in the QA lab as well as our summarization of the survey we put out to affected users. We offered to assist their team in any way possible and expressed desire to see this issue resolved with confidence. Their response was that they were aware of the issue and were investigating internally. We did not receive any further requests for assistance from their team, aside from an inquiry on how we recommend users should handle temporarily working around the issue. We followed up with them on July 1st and were met with the same response.

One thing to keep in mind: The majority of Devialet Expert users do not encounter this behavior during Roon Ready playback. This always adds complications to the troubleshooting process as well as the targeting of any potential fixes.

Due to the noise being by made our users, we re-started our own investigation a few weeks ago and plan to bring the latest findings to Devialet in the coming days. Our current understanding of this issue is that it is triggered by an issue in the ethernet stack on the device and is not related to the RAAT or Roon Ready implementation.

Bottom line: This issue can only be resolved by Devialet. We have offered our technical assistance to their team. We plan to reach out with further technical feedback with hopes that we can assist their investigation and expedite a fix to affected users.

In the meantime, our recommendation for users experiencing this issue is to use the device’s WiFi connection if possible. Some have reported that placing Expert Pro behind a 100mbps switch enabled use of Roon Ready playback without encountering the slow media error, however this “fix” is not endorsed by the Roon team as we cannot guarantee this will resolve the issue.

Going forward, we will be sure to do a better job communicating whatever updates we do have regarding the issue. I will follow up in this thread after we have reached out to Devialet.

-John

1 Like

@John, thank you for your thoughtful response.

It is indeed a bit frustrating. You state that "The majority of Devialet Expert users do not encounter this behavior during Roon Ready playback.". That comment has me puzzled. Does that mean that most users don’t stream hi-res content over a gigabit network to their Devialet and therefore don’t experience the problem or does it mean that most users that do stream hi-res content over a gigabit network are not having this problem? I suspect it is the former, but If it is the latter, I would very much like to know how they’re doing it.

P.S… sorry to be so noisy :wink: I really do love both Roon and my Expert Pro and am truly thankful for the customer-facing involvement by you and all Roon support staff.

Maybe this issue is related to the bandwidth usage (especially the peak bandwidth) where the RAAT seems to differ from the AIR. There are some differences between the RAAT and the AIR bandwidth usage as shown in daniel.avasilichioaei’s measurements (https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Roon-RAAT-and-An-audio-file-is-loading-slowly?pid=85873#pid85873):

Please take a look @john .

Additional info: I just perform the same test using 10 Mbps, and on this connection there is no peak at all.

10Mbps 192kHz AIR

10Mbps 192kHz RAAT

@john , thank you for your feedback on what is happening on your side. However, I would like to point out that WiFi is not free from this problem. Me and some other users, who I have seen report this on Devialetchat.com, also experience this problem via WiFi connection.

Yes, I have the same problem also with a WiFi connection, not only with a gigabit ethernet connection.

For those having wifi problems - is it the same “audio file loading slowly…” issue? I have attempted to use wifi a couple of times to my Devialet but my wifi is not sufficiently stable (too far from the router is my guess) such that I get occasional dropouts or stopped music. That happens with both RAAT and AIR. For me at least, my wifi issue is a different problem than when attempting to stream hi-res content via gigabit ethernet.

Hello @mdconnelly,

My intention was to convey that the majority of Roon users with Devialet Expert Pro products do not encounter this issue.

-John