Audio Zone disappears, only returns with reboot of core

I’m having an issue that is relatively new to my setup. Today it happened playing files from Tidal. The first file was 16/44.1, the next file was 24/192 MQA. The second file never actually played, Roon just sits as if it is trying to load the file. When this happens and I quit and restart Roon, my only audio zone, a pair of Peachtree active speakers connected directly to my core (a late 2012 iMac) via optical, is gone. Interestingly, the Audio Midi setup application will not open while the computer is in this state. The only fix is a reboot. Once upon a time on this system, a change in file type/resolution would trigger loss of audio playback with files just being skipped without playing. That has resolved with an increase in the resync delay and updates to Roon. The loss of the audio zone is relatively recent, maybe a release or 2 ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated @support, thanks!

Hello @kneville ,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you.

Can you please confirm that there is not firewall active on the iMac or on the Router that could be preventing connections in Roon? I have previously seen the OSX firewall interfere with Roon’s playback ability and adding Roon as an exception has improved a few people’s setup. I would check this setting using these instructions provided by Apple for the iMac and refer to your Router’s manufacturer for router firewall instructions.

It is even stranger that the Audio Midi application does not open, I am not aware of anything that could be preventing the opening of the MIDI page from Roon’s end. Does this issue occur at all with Local files from your library or TIDAL MQA only?

Please let me know if the firewall suggestion helps at all and if not, we can take a look elsewhere.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks for the suggestions, @noris. My firewall is off. As for router settings, I’m in a work environment, at a fairly large institution. I probably should not be streaming music at all, but until our IT guys ask me not to or they block access to Tidal as they have to other streaming services, I’ll keep on listening. In any case, this means I have no idea what sort of networking environment I’m in and have no control over it.

Here’s another data point. I was able to reproduce the problem that I described just now, playing a playlist of mixed local and Tidal files, same situation - 24/96 MQA Tidal file, 16/44.1 Tidal file that follows won’t play, skips through to next track, and next track, etc. I clicked to pause playback and selected a local file to play. Roon crashed. On re-starting Roon, I see ‘No Audio Devices Found’ and when I click on ‘Manage Audio Devices’ all I have is a System output and Networked AirPlay since there is an Apple TV around. Nothing will play through the system output, local or Tidal. Waveform of local files is briefly visible and then gone. This time, Audio Midi Setup opened but it took a very long time and there no devices available at all. The Sound System Preference pane took a long to open as well and no local input or output devices are there. No microphone, no internal speakers. I have a USB DAC that I use occasionally for headphone listening. When I plug that in, it doesn’t show up in either. A reboot will fix all of it. Next steps?

1 Like

Finally, I have not been able to create or reproduce this issue with local content. Local 16/44.1 ALAC track following local 24/96 FLAC track plays fine. I don’t have any local MQA, only Tidal.

Hello @kneville,

Thanks for explaining the issue further for me. From your report it seems that there could be a firewall on your workplace’s network blocking the connection to TIDAL or there is a DNS setting that needs to be updated on the company’s router, though I’m aware that you can’t change either of these conditions.

Regarding next steps, I’d like to have QA take a look at the logs from your machine and for that I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode on your account. What this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

I will be sure to let you know once I have submitted the logs to QA for evaluation to see if they can confirm that the firewall is the issue here or if it could be something else at play. Appreciate your patience in the meantime and I will update you once I have more information to share.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hello @kneville,

I can confirm that the diagnostics info from your machine has successfully reached our servers and have started a case for you with QA. While this case reaches their queue, I was wondering if we could try another troubleshooting step here. Can you please try clearing your TIDAL cache to see if this helps improve things? To do so please follow these instructions:

1. Quit Roon (or RoonServer)
  2. Find and open your Roon or RoonServer folder
  3. Locate and delete only the cache folder (Roon/Cache)
  4. Restart Roon

Please let me know your findings after doing so.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @noris - I think there might be some confusion here. I run two cores and activate my license back and forth. The core I have running currently is at home and not the machine that’s been causing the issues I’ve described. I’ll be in my office most of the day tomorrow and it will be running then. But I can certainly clear my Tidal cache when I get into work. Please let me know if you’d like some notification when I get the offending core running in the morning. Thanks!

Hello @kneville

Thanks for letting me know about the other core at your workplace.

Unfortunately our diagnostic system has not been able to receive logs from any other devices except a MacBook Pro which I assume you have at home, are you by any chance using another email address associated with your workplace machine? If you are using another email address for that machine, please PM me the email address so that I can enable diagnostics mode for that account as well.

If you are not using another email address for your workplace machine, would it be possible to manually send us the logs from that Core? You can either create a shared Dropbox link and PM it to me or I can provide instructions on how to upload those logs directly to our servers.

Please let me know the above information when possible and also if the TIDAL clear cache has helped.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @noris - I don’t believe I’m using another email address with the core at work. The MacBook Pro is my core at home, correct. I can absolutely send you logs from the iMac at work. I use Dropbox so I will pm you the link tomorrow when I’m in my office again. Haven’t cleared the Tidal cache yet, mostly because I didn’t want to take the time that a reboot takes with that machine (Dropbox takes forever to start up and index and sync and it slows the machine down to a crawl while doing so, making it tough to get work done!). I’ll be able to tomorrow and will report back. Thanks for your patience!

1 Like

Hello @noris - some additional info beyond what was included in my PM. Roon is crashing/quitting as often as every 3-5 minutes, sometimes it will run for 30-45 minutes. Looking at the system log in the Console app, I’m seeing this:

Sep 28 14:19:00 KN-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.roon.Roon.31448[2802]): Service exited with abnormal code: 5

Let me know if there’s any further info I can supply, thanks for your help.

Hello @kneville,

Thank you for updating me on the status of the issue. I have gone ahead and forwarded those submitted logs and your comments to the QA team for analysis. I will be sure to update you once I receive the report back from QA with their findings, I appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hello @kneville,

Appreciate your patience while QA has reviewed the logs.

It does indeed seem that your employer is blocking access to TIDAL. This message was found in the diagnostics from your machine, I have redacted your employer name for privacy reasons, but if you want I can send you the complete message via PM:

According to the [EMPLOYER NAME] Acceptable Use Policy, C-22, the use and access to this web site is no longer available from the [EMPLOYER NAME] network or the website is currently down.  This information has been logged and reported to the [EMPLOYER NAME]  Information Security Officer
For assistance, contact the helpdesk at [REDACTED].

I have added your case to be reviewed by one of our devs to see if anything can be done in this situation but I just wanted you to be aware of our findings so far. I will update you once I hear back from the dev regarding their thoughts on this matter.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks for the update, @noris, I figured it was only a matter of time. No need to send the whole message along, I’m familiar with it. :slight_smile: I can live with local tracks only at work. It was enjoyable flying under the radar for as long as I did. I can still stream Tidal via wifi on my phone or iPad. Once Roon implements a mobile solution, maybe that will help as well.

However, I am still experiencing very frequent crashes. Though now that I say that, I haven’t logged out of Tidal on that core. Let me try that and see if that resolves the crashes. I’ll let you know, thanks for your assistance!

Hello @kneville,

I wanted to check in here and ask how your setup is performing.

Our developers have made some progress in identifying why the crashes are impacting your setup more than others and I just wanted to let you know that things should be more stable with the next Roon release.

Although I can’t provide a timeline of when the next version of Roon will be released, I just wanted to let you know that progress is underway and we are very hopeful that it will minimize the crashes that you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

I appreciate the update, @noris. I have logged out of Tidal completely (unfortunately), but I’m still experiencing very frequent crashes. I’m lucky if I can go 20 minutes without a crash. This setup, simple as it was, was very stable for a very long time, so it’s puzzling to me what might have changed. In any case, I’m patiently looking forward to not having my music stop out of the blue!

Hello @noris - I know better than to ask about a timeline :wink:, but the installation on this core, even with Tidal entirely off/logged out is so unstable as to be unusable. I recognize that my core is a multipurpose computer, but so is the MacBook Pro that I use and that has no stability issues. Based on some other posts, I’ve tried toggling exclusive mode, but that made no difference. I’ve tried pausing Dropbox syncing (multipurpose computer, need to get work done as well), but that doesn’t make a difference. Any other adjustments I might be able to make that would allow me to get work done and listen to Roon at the same time? I’m getting my money’s worth streaming Tidal from my phone, but would rather be using Roon! Thanks for any suggestions you can offer, cheers!

Hello @kneville,

Thanks for contacting us again regarding this issue. I wish I could share release information with you but truth of the matter is releases don’t occur until we have thoroughly tested them, so I kindly ask for you patience here while that happens on our end.

At this point in time, we believe to understand where the issue lies and we’re implementing a change in the next release that should correct this behavior. Other than changing your work network’s router settings and re-configuring the multicast & DNS settings, I’m afraid there’s not much else that can be done to help resolve it except wait for the new version of Roon. I will be sure to let you know once the release is out, but until then I kindly ask for your patience :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Noris

Thank you for the response, I can be patient, especially knowing there’s really nothing I can do on my end!

1 Like

Hi @kneville,

We released Build 360 of Roon which includes a fix for the behavior you’re experiencing here. Please download the update and let us know if you have any issues. You can read more about the update here:

1 Like

Will do, @dylan, thanks for letting me know. Interestingly, my problem core has seemingly back to its rock-solid self the last two days, no crashes at all. But, I will update when I get to work tomorrow and will come back here if the issue recurs/persists. Thanks again!

1 Like