Backup to network share

@support
I have a Intel NUC I7 10th generation attached via ethernet to a home network with a desktop pc. I want to backup to my desktop on the G: drive. I have no idea what the proper network share location nomenclature should be. Is it the IP address of my desktop? The windows 10 path on the desktop for the backup would be G:/Roon. I went into Windows 10 and right clicked to get to the share tab. According to Windows the name of this folder for sharing is DESKTOP-AG91BTL/RoonBackup. I put the smb:// in front and tried to use that as the share and all I get is an unexpected error. I also tried the IP address of my desktop computer and that did not work either. So what is the secret code for a network share; not sure why this has to be so hard?

Try substituting the IP address, eg: smb://192.168.0.20/Roon (use your local IP address).

Thanks for your reply mikeb. The IP address does not work either.

I had issues creating a share on Windows 10 share that Roon or other computers could access until and I created a separate Roon user to be able to access it. Once this was done I used smb://ipaddress/sharename and it worked. Guest access is no longer available in Windows by default and it seems my username and password would only work on other windows machines.

1 Like

Create a network share on the Windows PC.
Use that location as the network share location as \host\Sharename. Also, you need to add the username and password for that machine. Keep in mind sometimes spaces in the username (or other non alpha numberics) can cause login issues.

the instructions are similar to setting up a watched location on a PC. https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-how-do-i-create-a-shared-folder-on-windows-and-add-it-as-a-watched-folder-in-roon

For user name and password, do you mean my microsoft account? This is a windows machine. I tried that but I can try it again.

I shared the directory on my G: drive and typed in the network share as \DESKTOP-AG91BTL\RoonBackup based on what windows identified it as and then entered in my microsoft account number (email address) and password. That did not work. What is the problem here? Am I to assume I am the only person to have a problem with this?

This is what I filled in. I used my email address and my microsoft password with the share location as identified by windows.

I don’t think outlook accounts work, try using a local machine account. I never use Microsoft logins, so I cannot comment on them. However, I seem to remember posts about them…

Review this post for helpful Info!

Thanks for the post. I did the same thing as the individual did in the topic labeled “Nucleus backup to PC” and no luck. I used the user name, in this case “f8thf” and then my microsoft password to no avail. Perhaps I should just skip trying to backup Roon if it is this difficult to even get the process to work. Seems like they need to improve this broken process.

Is that the same as the local account password?

Something odd here - on that screenshot using your Microsoft Account as the Username, you get the “Unexpected Error” message. However, when I tried my Microsoft Account (as shown in the screenshot in my post that Daniel quoted), I got a different error message: “Could not connect to share: Unauthorized”.

This leads me to think that perhaps your Network share on your Windows desktop PC is misconfigured?

It is the password I use to log on to the windows account on my desktop computer.

This is how it shows in Windows.

Is the permissions for Everyone set to Read/Write?

Yes it is.

I think you’ll have to create a new local account on your Windows desktop PC, and use that to connect to the share. Make sure you have added the new account to the sharing list. That works for me.

Roon 1867

1 Like

I all ready mentioned this earlier you need to create a user for Roon to use you can’t use your windows login. Also don’t use the computer name in the share you add use the machines IP address instead of this. Not all routers pass on the friendly names to different operating systems using the IP will mean it will work all the time.

I set up another user called Roon and did the share with that user and it worked. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.