Cannot play 192k

Just signed up with Qobuz in Sweden having a Lumin U1 Mini and latest Roon version Core running on a Mac Mini. Highest quality I can play is 96k/24 bit and songs listed in say 192k playlist in Roon/Qobuz plays only in CD quality 44.1/16 bit. What am I missing out? I’m on the Studio premier subscription.

Can you check in settings → services → Qobuz to ensure you’re all set to send the highest tracks to your Lumin?

Michael

Streaming quality Hi Res 24 bit / up to 192khz it says there.

1 Like

Please get a screen capture of your signal path for both 192/24 and 44.1/16 or 96/24.

This is the signal path when Playing content from the Qobuz Best of 192k playlist. If scrolling through all albums there is never anything higher listed than 24/96. Nothing in 192. In my Lumin app albums have Hi Res Logo on them but when played they are all Flac, 44.1/16bit 1411kbps. Might be a Qobuz issue then. They just opened up for trial in Sweden and I know Roon had issues in listing content which seems to have been solved now at least.

If that first line, source, is 16/44.1 then that’s what Qobuz is sending. Here in the US there are a few albums available for purchase at 192/24 which display at 192/24 but don’t have streaming rights at 192/24 and Qobuz sends the 44.1/16 as you’re seeing. I don’t know if that’s the issue here.

Since we have different regional versions of Qobuz I’m not even sure listing things I can stream in 24/192 would have any relevance if you can stream them in 24/192. You can/should try the same tracks in the Qobuz application. If the Qobuz app is streaming them at the lower bitrate there isn’t anything Roon is going to do to fix that. It then becomes a Qobuz issues… one that might be, as you say, because they just launched.

1 Like

What’s the album, Peter? I’m in a different country with different kit, but I could still try out of interest.

Michael

Anything from the Best of 192khz playlist plays in CD quality for me. Say Beat it by Michael Jackson. Same in the Qobuz app.

Weird, if I do a search I can’t find that playlist in Roon :frowning:

1 Like

It does say " Best Of 192 kHz, Playlist - Public by Qobuz Nordic" so maybe region dependent then. What if you look up the specific track that claims to be 192k by Qobuz but here only streams in CD?

Please try Lumin app, and play the first track She’s A Rainbow. I got 192kHz from Qobuz UK account.

If you use Lumin app and you get a different sample rate, then your region is not licensed for 192kHz for some tracks.

If you use Lumin app and you do get 192kHz, then we need to look into Roon setup and see what’s wrong.

Found it in the Qobuz app and added it to my favourites and I can see it in Roon now.

Still can’t find it by doing a search in Roon though.

Doesn’t help you much but I’ve found a good playlist now :slight_smile:

Same track from the 192k playlist in the Lumin app. Must be Qobuz having issues then. I’ll reach out to them.

1 Like

This is a regional license restriction. Unfortunately not much you can do, other than doing the difficult thing of creating a different account that is bound to a different country such as France or UK (the VPN part is easy; the payment regional check is not).

I found the same playlist in my region (Europe, Austria)

Works fine for me

Qobuz should mention this on their website!

What are the legalities around that though? I’ve seen posts on reddit that using a VPN to Argentina will get you Tidal for around £2 per month

Indeed they should. So it seems like albums listed as 192/24 plays as 44.1/16 and that albums listed as 96/24 actually play as that. Issue seems to be 192k content and licensing.

I cannot answer legalities, but I do know that you get different albums from Tidal / Qobuz accounts of different countries. I have reasons to believe that for Tidal, you get access to the largest collection if your account is in the US.

If you want to confirm the license restriction, you can either ask Qobuz, or if you want to, you can send me your Qobuz account username / password in private, then I’ll test it for you tomorrow. After I finish testing you can change your password.