Compilations (Again)

Like a good number of others here, I have an over-abundance of compilations in my library. Let me be more precise: Roon calls “compilations” recordings that may have a collection of single artist’s work, for example, BB King’s “The RPM Hits 1951-1957”, as well as recordings with “Various Artists” with one track per artist organized around a theme, for example, “The Best of New Orleans Rhythm & Blues” in two volumes. I like to have a single artist’s work filed under that artist, even if it is a collection. I only call a “compilation” a collection of work by various artists, but I realize that’s just me.

It is easy enough to use Focus to segregate all the albums Roon calls compilations, to pick the ones I want to de-select as compilations, then Edit => Edit Album => Compliation “No”. That puts them back filed under “Artist”, where I’d prefer them and leaves all the Compilations/Collections behind.

About those other compilations, though. I listen to some of them frequently enough that I’d like to be able to see a pick screen quickly, without having to use Focus all over again. It is simple enough, but it is a multi-stage process.

Is there a way to modify what appears on the far left menu of the home screen under “Library”? Right now it lists Artists, Albums, Tracks, Composers, Compositions, and My Live Radio. Is there a way to have “Compilations” listed as a sub-folder, or - workaround - do something like trick Roon into thinking “Compositions” equals “Compilations”?

Thanks for a great piece of software. I can see from reading the community here that one problem the developers face is an audience made up of fairly obsessive collectors who’ve already curated their libraries the way they like. (Yep - I confess)

1 Like

The compilation flag has nothing to do with sorting.
Here are my ABBA Greatest Hits compilations sorted as expected under A like ABBA.

grafik

No, but you can use bookmarks to save a Focus or just use Roon Tags or filter for “Various Artists” instead of Focus on Compilation (again with the option to save the result as bookmark).

I know this might not be the right place, but people who end up here might know or be interested in the solution to this …

I began to add selected DJ Mixes to my Roon Library, for example Portisheads BBC Essential mix … now, this is going to be a lot of work, but I want to do it still … how do I merge these two songs, so Roon recognises it as the same composition:

Thanks for your help!

Select them both and there should be a Merge Composition button top right. It may not work in search results, in this case go to My Tracks or My Compositions

There are some preconditions:

If a track is not recognized as a composition, there may be workarounds to make it one, but they don’t always work. It’s a bit of a mystery what makes a track a composition, but most likely the property must come from a metadata provider and it’s not possible to add it locally:

1 Like